still another type of skates

Old October 12th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default still another type of skates

Have these been discussed here yet? they may have a better rolling
capacity on trails than the V2150s.
5 lbs each though.

http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/c...g-and-cycling/

Old October 14th 10, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

On 10/12/2010 3:42 PM, wrote:
Have these been discussed here yet? they may have a better rolling
capacity on trails than the V2150s.
5 lbs each though.

http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/c...g-and-cycling/

An interesting idea. Yes, at 11 lbs/set that seems like a lot
for carbon. A few lbs more and you could have a full bike.

I also have to wonder about slalom braking. I suspect that
won't fly with very many people. I also suspect the final
pricing won't be very attractive.

Bob Schwartz
Old October 14th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

On 10/14/2010 9:37 AM, Bob Schwartz wrote:
On 10/12/2010 3:42 PM, wrote:
Have these been discussed here yet? they may have a better rolling
capacity on trails than the V2150s.
5 lbs each though.

http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/c...g-and-cycling/

An interesting idea. Yes, at 11 lbs/set that seems like a lot
for carbon. A few lbs more and you could have a full bike.

I also have to wonder about slalom braking. I suspect that
won't fly with very many people. I also suspect the final
pricing won't be very attractive.

Bob Schwartz

Well, if you follow the link to the designer's site, they claim they
are targeting a price point between $5,000-$10,000. They are also
claiming you can brake using gloves and hand pressure.

I'm not optimistic I'll ever see a pair.

Bob Schwartz
Old October 15th 10, 01:21 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Like 2 of those magic wheels!
I think I had an idea like that when I was first exposed to footage of those.

That weight can surely be improved upon with some good engineering. I'm already involved in some ground breaking weight loss designs for cyling.
That doesn't make these very likely to "do it" for me, in my quest for actually off-roadable skates to simulate XC skiing in teh summer, over typical fire roads with some sand.
Weight of 11lb per pair would not scare me out at all, if I get the performance I am looking for.

Should these sell in any quantities at such a price, I am going to take steps towards gettting my design to the market. A tubular off-road tire railing around a flat bottom flexible "ski" to obtain a drastically lower pressure on the soil, especially at the front of the contact patch. If the interface between tubular and frame can somehow be engineered to last outside of a lab, it WILL be all that, to every XC skier.
Old October 15th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

--
Jan Gerrit Klok

Yes, I have had a similar idea, never got it beyond the idea point. I
am surprised the weight per "ski" wheel is at high as 7 lbs - high-end
cycling wheels weigh way less than that (2 lbs?), a good speedskating
wheel weights ~100 grams, plus some carbon fiber scaffold here and
there to attach to the foot. I am also thinking that the rear wheel
will limit the off-roadness... needs to be inflatable at least.
Old October 16th 10, 11:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

On 10/12/2010 3:42 PM, wrote:
Have these been discussed here yet? they may have a better rolling
capacity on trails than the V2150s.
5 lbs each though.

http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/c...g-and-cycling/

An interesting idea. Yes, at 11 lbs/set that seems like a lot
for carbon. A few lbs more and you could have a full bike.

I also have to wonder about slalom braking. I suspect that
won't fly with very many people. I also suspect the final
pricing won't be very attractive.

Bob Schwartz

Well, if you follow the link to the designer's site, they claim they
are targeting a price point between $5,000-$10,000. They are also
claiming you can brake using gloves and hand pressure.

I'm not optimistic I'll ever see a pair.

Bob Schwartz

Wow, I was guessing around $650, and that's including the novelty factor.

Fuzzing up your old skates Chris Cole Nordic Skiing 5 March 16th 09 03:55 PM
Nordic skates... Chris Cole Nordic Skiing 7 July 15th 07 06:43 PM
Inline skates Jonathan Seutter Nordic Skiing 18 July 5th 04 05:44 AM
nordic skates?? kayakclc Nordic Skiing 6 March 4th 04 03:39 PM
my first try on inline skates Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 16 August 16th 03 04:51 PM