Donek Web Site, 2nd Board recommendation

Old November 12th 04, 05:06 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Mike T wrote:

... but the stiffness could be an issue too. I've some frustrating
experiences with really stiff boards in powder, for example my old Salomon
FRS 165, which makes the Incline/Wide/Sasquatch feel like a noodle.

Yeah, but an FRS also makes a Factory Prime feel like a noodle. That
was one stiff mother of a freeride board.

Neil

Old November 12th 04, 05:12 PM
Mike T

... but the stiffness could be an issue too. I've some frustrating
experiences with really stiff boards in powder, for example my old
Salomon FRS 165, which makes the Incline/Wide/Sasquatch feel like a
noodle.

Yeah, but an FRS also makes a Factory Prime feel like a noodle. That was
one stiff mother of a freeride board.

Really? I though the FP was supposed to be super stiff!

For comparison I thought the FRS felt softer than my Donek FC 163, about the
same as my Axis 172, and stiffer than my Coiler PR 184.

All comparisons come while riding the board. Flexing by hand is a different
story... the Coiler is the stiffest when flexed by hand.

Old November 12th 04, 05:16 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Mike T wrote:

... but the stiffness could be an issue too. I've some frustrating
experiences with really stiff boards in powder, for example my old
Salomon FRS 165, which makes the Incline/Wide/Sasquatch feel like a
noodle.

Yeah, but an FRS also makes a Factory Prime feel like a noodle. That was
one stiff mother of a freeride board.

Really? I though the FP was supposed to be super stiff!

For comparison I thought the FRS felt softer than my Donek FC 163, about the
same as my Axis 172, and stiffer than my Coiler PR 184.

All comparisons come while riding the board. Flexing by hand is a different
story... the Coiler is the stiffest when flexed by hand.

True enough - my comments come from shop-flexing an FRS and a Factory
Prime a few years ago - forget the length of the FP, but it was longer
than the FRS. I've always regretted never picking up an FRS, Salomon
hasn't built another beast like it.

Neil

Old November 12th 04, 05:19 PM

Sean Martin wrote:
My first suggestion for you is to verify that you've got your bindings
mounted in the appropriate location on the board you have. You should have
received a mounting instruction sheet with the board indicating the
appropriate mounting and placement of the bindings. If you didn't get it,
or no longer have it, I would be happy to e-mail you another one.

Create a place on the web site and put it there to help all of us and
save yourself future work.

Dean
Old November 12th 04, 05:24 PM
Mike T

True enough - my comments come from shop-flexing an FRS and a Factory
Prime a few years ago - forget the length of the FP, but it was longer
than the FRS. I've always regretted never picking up an FRS, Salomon
hasn't built another beast like it.

I wore mine into the ground. It actually didn't last that well... the
topsheet started peeling away very quickly, and they had that part-graphite
"race base" which doesn't hold up as well as a standard ptex 4000. I was
amazed that I killed such a stiff board so quickly. It did see more than
it's fair share of spring and summer snow at Mount Hood, when they salt the
runs, I am sure that had something to do with it.

I do see them pop up on eBay from time to time... keep your eyes open!

Old November 12th 04, 05:52 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:45:28 -0700, "Sean Martin"
wrote:

You should have
received a mounting instruction sheet with the board indicating the
appropriate mounting and placement of the bindings. If you didn't get it,
or no longer have it, I would be happy to e-mail you another one.

Please do! I'm sure it is long gone, and it makes sense that I could
correct it with this, if for no other reason that with my Flow
bindings, moving them around can be a pain in the butt so I've avoided
experimentation, relying instead of back-weighting in powder. Now that
I'm more comfortable with the Flows, I'm no longer concerned about
removing and replacing.

Which size Phoenix would you suggest I try first? 5'8", 155-160
pounds. And, will you have these available by mail, or will your NW
rep be visiting Bogus Basin? :-)

I need a second board anyway, because my Incline is delaminating in
the rear. It's only a matter of time before it gets bad enough to
require replacement. Phoenix sounds like an interesting 2nd board.

Thanks in advance,

-- Robert
Old November 12th 04, 06:43 PM
Dmitry

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

True enough - my comments come from shop-flexing an FRS and a Factory Prime a few years ago - forget the length of the FP, but it
was longer than the FRS. I've always regretted never picking up an FRS, Salomon hasn't built another beast like it.

Have you tried Fastback?

Old November 12th 04, 06:48 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Dmitry wrote:

Have you tried Fastback?

Nope, is it similar? I thought they weren't nearly so stiff.

Neil

Old November 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Dmitry

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

Have you tried Fastback?

Nope, is it similar? I thought they weren't nearly so stiff.

I don't know, FRS was discontinued before I started ridnig
It's the stiffest board I've tried so far (by the actual feel, not
hand-waving

Old November 12th 04, 07:18 PM
id

Mike T wrote:

P.S. IMHO, with a 9.5 boot, the Wide is as good a choice as the Incline on
average, better for some, worse for others. The last time Iain and I
engaged in a calculation-intensive thread, it was on this very topic

:-)
Here's another one for you. I just got to thinking a bit more about the
speed issue (with a glass of wine in the bath!), and I think we can say
that the lift from a board in powder will be something like:
lift = K x board_area x (speed)^2 x snow_density

where K is a constant

This will be true for a given angle of attack (the angle between the
direction of travel and the plane of the board). This is the same
formula as for lift from an aircraft wing.

A couple of interesting things from this:
* because lift is proportional to speed squared, lift (or flotation)
will increase rapidly with speed - you'll really sink if you go slow
* you'll get a lot more lift from yer west coast cement than from the 3%
fluffy stuff in Utah

Lift (and drag) will increase with angle of attack. The effect of a
flexy board is to increase the angle of attack at the nose relative to
the tail, thus keeping the nose up and reducing rear leg burn caused by
too much lift at the back. The same is achieved by a wider nose than
tail (e.g. Fish and derivatives)
Now where's that bottle of wine?...

Iain