Compressed Interval Block Training - Good or Bad?

Old October 14th 04, 08:48 PM
Tim Kelley

Default Compressed Interval Block Training - Good or Bad?

I'm wondering what readers of rec.nordic.skiing think of the interval
block training that the US Ski Team, for instance, is doing this year.
Is it the wave of the future, a fad, or not a good idea?

I'm thinking that this form of training reflects the demands of new
racing formats. With mass starts becoming the predominant race format
and sprint racing ever growing - you need to be very powerful and able
to run your heart to the redline often to hang with breaks. I think
compressed blocks of interval sessions will acheive these this. I also
think this is a ballsy move on the part of the USST to go this route.
And I appreciate the fact that they taking risks that may get them
higher on the World Cup result lists.

But I'm sure other r.s.n have different opinions. And I think this
topic may make a good discussion thread.

I'm also wondering how the Canadians national team members may be
training different that the US. These days the Canadians may not have
a Kris Freeman ... but man, they sure have depth!! I don't every
remember seeing such strength in numbers with the Canadian men (look at
US Nationals results or New Zealand results). Have the Canadian men
been inspired by Golden Beckie, do they subscribe to compressed
interval block training or is the beer in Canada these days really that
much better than US beer!?!

TK

Old October 15th 04, 02:31 AM
Chris Pella

I think more people up here are trying block training, if I can
believe the conversations I overhear in the parking lot at Gatineau
Park. I believe it's probably a good thing if you do it correctly and
have a good base. I tried a block of 5 days in August and my 5K
running time went down by a minute (not that I'm a fast runner by any
stretch) but I injured my TFL muscle. I think it helps to vary the
workouts between running, rollerski, cycling and ski-bounding, to
avoid injury. Too much high-intensity running and I find all the
weakest links in my kinetic chain, but too much long, slow distance is
even worse for injuries.

It's really a form of periodization... stress your system and then
back off and let the adaptations happen.
The Canadian men do seem to have a good cohort. They have a good
sponsor, which helps alot. I think you may be wrong about not having a
Kris Freeman... watch out for Devon Kershaw. And they have a sprinter
that won the U23's last winter. With a little international seasoning
they will be a relay threat.

Chris

Old October 15th 04, 03:51 AM
Chris Esposito

"Tim Kelley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Enlighten me, please. What is Compressed Interval Training?

Chris

Old October 15th 04, 05:40 PM
Steve McGregor

I think it can be especially effective for age groupers who have
lives. With proper planning, you can schedule a block when you know
your schedule will accomodate that kind of traininig, and then
schedule the lower intensity block during less accomodating times.
The problem is, when life happens and throws a wrench into the works,
it can be worse than a traditional straightforward approach. If you
planned on doing a block and something comes up, you missed that
intensity period in the overall plan. Additionally, stressful life
during the recovery period can impair recovery and adaptation.
Finally, Some non-elites do not handle multiple back to back high
intensity training blocks well and can become injured or overreached.
The thing is, if they have a scheduled recovery block, then that would
avoid the overtraining problem some get into when follow a more
traditional approach. So, there are benefits and drawbacks to just
about any approach. I'm sure it will be a fad to a certain extent,
but elements of it will be around for a while.

Actually, it has been around for a while in cycling. It is well known
that participating in a stage race will elicit tremendous fitness
improvements if the individual can get through the stage race without
crashing (physiologically). Some people just can't handle that type
of format though, and never come through a stage race without breaking
down. That's what people will probably find with these blocks. The
thing is, elites are typically more appropriately designed,
physiologically, for this type of training (lots of slow twitch
muscles) and that's why they are elites. If you're an age grouper,
just watch yourself and don't overdo it.

Steve

Old October 15th 04, 07:29 PM
AKSledHead

Chris,

A Compressed Interval Block of training is an intensive series of
interval workouts. For instance, one might choose a 5 day block of
time and the only workouts that would be done are sessions of 4 to 8
times 3 minute to 8 minute intervals. And sometimes these interval
sessions may be done twice a day. Distance workouts are usually
replaced by rest or active recovery sessions (light excercise) during
this period. The goal is to increase one's max V02 by fequently
stressing your body to your anaerobic threshold and hoping that your
body reacts by improving the oxygen uptake capabilities.

In my previous post I should have said - the Canadians do not have a
male with Kris Freeman WC results ... YET ! Hopefully they soon will
have a male at this level (of course on the women's side they have
Becky at this level and above already, and Sara is close). And I
would bet that the time that Canadian men will again be high up in WC
results will be coming soon.

Tim Kelley
Old October 17th 04, 11:14 PM
AKSledHead

Actually, it has been around for a while in cycling. It is well known
that participating in a stage race will elicit tremendous fitness
improvements if the individual can get through the stage race without
crashing (physiologically). Some people just can't handle that type
of format though, and never come through a stage race without breaking
down.

Steve,

That's interesting about cycling stage races. Over the years I
believe that I've seen something similar in ski racing. Though this
is not a quantifiable statement - it seems after a skier competes in a
week-long competition (Nationals), and as you noted they don't burn
themselves out, they emerge skiing faster then when they went in. In
essence such a race series is a compressed intensity block, similar to
a stage race (but with more rest).

A thought - maybe AXCS Masters should use this logic as promotion for
skiers to participate in the AXCS National Masters race series at the
end of January/early February. You want to ski faster in the Birkie?
.... then get your intensity block in that will make you faster - ski
National Masters. If it works for cyclists, it will likely work for
skiers.

Tim Kelley
Old October 18th 04, 08:21 PM
Nathan Schultz

Hi Tim,

I have tried the intensity blocks in my own training and with several
athletes that I coach and we've all had great success with it. The science
seems to show that a block of between 5 and 9 days works best for most
people. More than that and people kill themselves, less than that and the
VO2max increase is not as dramatic.

In my experience, I've noticed that at the end of the block, even though
I am much more tired than when I started, my times are faster and the
training feels more comfortable. One of my coaching clients freaked out
about his intensity block that I prescribed a few weeks before the Chicago
Marathon. He did it, though, and ended up taking 37 minutes off of his PR
and said he could have run faster but he was too scared to open too hard.
Out of everything that we did in preparing him for the race, he attributed
the biggest success to the intensity block.

Some key elements of the intensity blocks from my experiences:
1. Level 4 training is not level 5 training. It must be done at the right
intensity to be successful.
2. An athlete must be prepared for the intensity block. As in all things
training, it is good to build up at a pace that allows your body to adapt
slowly. Don't hop off the couch and expect that doing intervals for six
days is a good idea. You need to have done at least some threshold work and
a little bit of level 4 intensity before jumping off into a block of level 4
intensity training.
3. There must be adequate rest between the intervals and between the
interval sessions. There should not be much more than strength prescribed
during the intensity blocks aside from the intensity itself. Older skiers
and those at altitude should probably not do more than 3-4 sessions in a row
without a break from intensity for a day.
4. Try to make the intensity sessions as specific as possible to gain the
biggest benefits.
5. Find a way to objectively evaluate the success of the block. There are
several ways to do this. You can do a field test or get a VO2 test before
and after the block. You can also judge this as you do your intensity block
by repeating intervals sessions throughout the block. For example, the
following block of training will give you a fairly good feel for
improvements while they are happening:
Day 1: Interval session 4x4 Roll SK at location 1.
Day 2: Interval session 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2.
Day 3: 4x4 Roll Classic location 3.
Day 4: 4x4 Roll SK location 1
Day 5: 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2
Day 6: 4x4 Roll CL Location 3.

Good luck, they really do work. They better, because doing a block of
training like this can be pretty tough!

Nathan

ups.com...

Old October 18th 04, 11:04 PM
Hank Garretson

At 13:28 18 10 04 Monday, Nathan wrote:

In my experience, I've noticed that at the end of the block, even though
I am much more tired than when I started, my times are faster and the
training feels more comfortable. One of my coaching clients freaked out
about his intensity block that I prescribed a few weeks before the Chicago
Marathon. He did it, though, and ended up taking 37 minutes off of his PR
and said he could have run faster but he was too scared to open too hard.
Out of everything that we did in preparing him for the race, he attributed
the biggest success to the intensity block.

I would love to take 37 minutes off my Boulder Mountain Tour time this
coming February. Of course that isn't going to happen, but ...

If I do an compressed interval block, how long before the Tour should I do it?

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Old October 19th 04, 12:38 AM
Rob Bradlee

--- Nathan Schultz wrote:

When should I do the program below if I want to peak for the Natl
Masters the first week on Feb?

Do it more than once? How much "normal" training in between blocks?

Could you mix in an early season race into a block?

Rob Bradlee

the
following block of training will give you a fairly good feel for
improvements while they are happening:
Day 1: Interval session 4x4 Roll SK at location 1.
Day 2: Interval session 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2.
Day 3: 4x4 Roll Classic location 3.
Day 4: 4x4 Roll SK location 1
Day 5: 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2
Day 6: 4x4 Roll CL Location 3.

Good luck, they really do work. They better, because doing a
block of
training like this can be pretty tough!

Nathan

"Tim Kelley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training