Converting race files for TV viewing

Old November 29th 10, 08:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Converting race files for TV viewing

BasilBrush seems to be using a different format for his files this
year: .mp4 with a resolution of 832x468. The Philips DVD player hooked
to my HDTV doesn't support this codec or that resolution via a straight
conversion to an .avi file. I've been experimenting with video
converters for this purpose and found a few good free choices and ways
of doing it (not all converters do a good job, even when theoretically
they should):

- convert to .wmv or mpeg at 640x480 or 720x480 - this gives the same
quality full screen video, but the file sizes are three to four times
the original - Pazera's MP4-to-AVI converter does MPEG and is fast; FVD
Suite (fairly fast) and Super (much slower) are good for both formats

- convert to mpeg via NTSC-SVCD or NTSC-VCD - these produce very
watchable full screen video though with slightly reduced clarity; the
advantage is file sizes are only a bit bigger than the originals -
I use Pazera's for this

- convert to DivX or Xvid .avi at 640x480 - this gives very good
quality, but shows on TV formatted slightly smaller than a 16x9, i.e.,
with a border all around (not just top and bottom); expanding it to
full screen still looks acceptably good

Pazera's - http://www.pazera-software.com/products/
FVD Suite - http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/fvd-suite/
Super - http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Other ideas?

Gene
Old November 29th 10, 08:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Should mention that I use a USB stick to avoid having to mess with
CD/DVDs.

Gene

Old November 30th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

Could you please post the URL for the videos? It sounds like these can finally
be played directly on my computer (using apple video player).

Thanks.

Ben

Old November 30th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

You have dial up? They download very quickly, typically 2-3 hrs max on
a decent cable connection, at least early on after posting. Of course,
there's also the obligation to upload to a 1:1 share ratio or
preferably greater.

Gene

Ben Kaufman wrote:

Could you please post the URL for the videos? It sounds like these
can finally be played directly on my computer (using apple video
player).

Thanks.

Wow, files are over 1GB... I will pass. but thanks.

Old January 7th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Rominger

I know it might be a little late, but I use a Media Player and an
external HD to watch the videos on TV. It works great and no more
tired eyes in front of the computer. No need to convert files, just
put the cable on the TV and turn on the MP.

Yes, there is some cash involved (something around $100 for a MP and
another $100 for a 500GB, although you might find/need it for less),
but for me it was an investment well paid.
Old January 7th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:11:03 -0800 (PST)
Rominger wrote:

I know it might be a little late, but I use a Media Player and an
external HD to watch the videos on TV. It works great and no more
tired eyes in front of the computer. No need to convert files, just
put the cable on the TV and turn on the MP.

Yes, there is some cash involved (something around $100 for a MP and
another $100 for a 500GB, although you might find/need it for less),
but for me it was an investment well paid.

Thanks. A couple of weeks ago, I posed the problem it at the
VideoHelp.com forum and the suggestion was also a media player. Their
favorites are the WD and Seagate, but when I went looking around there
are others that users like better. The big favorite is the Patriot
BoxOffice, a small box that also takes a HDD, tho I don't have need. My
luck, just before Xmas the price at Amazon dropped to under $45 with
rebate. It plays close to everything, the picture is better than the
Philips DVD player, has a good forum and frequent firmware updates.
Great find.

Gene