Arizona or New Mexico Skiing

Old February 11th 05, 09:35 PM
Elle Navorski

Thanks for the tips, Scott A. and Gnarlito. I'll give whispering name a
chance soon. Then maybe I'll head to Durango the next week.

And yes, I agree about the ambiance of the resort (albeit just
returned-to-skiing-newbie that I am). I tired quickly of hearing
obscenities (from males and females both) on the lifts at Sandia, for
example. Good staff; iffy clientele, it seems.

"Gnarlito" wrote
I thought of that, and I checked the trail map before posting. There's
no new terrain, so the comments about the terrain are still relevant.
The comments about the lack of snow are also relevant unless Wheeler
Peak has moved out of the way .

Obviously, your impressions may differ. I just know that I prefer to
go elsewhere.

The conditions at Ski Apache can be OK when the storm tracks wiggle
south. I think conditions are pretty good there this year. I don't have
any fond memories of the vibe there. I know it's politically incorrect,
but f*ck it: the Mescalero Apaches who run the place tend to be surly
and they let you know pretty clearly how little your business means to
them.

Pajarito is a real sleeper. It's 10 pounds of skiing packed into a 5
pound package. I really like Santa Fe (I lived there for 7 years and
skied there regularly), but when conditions were equal, I'd drive
across the valley and ski Pajarito instead.

Durango is better yet. the area formerly known as Purgatory is just a
blast to ski. It gets more snow than Telluride.

Old February 12th 05, 12:05 AM
Richard Henry

"Walt" wrote in message
xenman wrote:

Nope, not a newbie. A few years ago I was regular reader and occasional
poster to RSA. It got awful, so I left. I was unaware that there was

now
a moderated group.

And there's still a pretty good skiing newsgroup here under all the
noise. You just have to killfile people like Mr. Henry who insist on
keeping things stirred up.

I keep things stirred up?

Let's see, my postings still visible on my newsreader:
Date Topic
1/9 naked ski racing
1/9 ski traffic laws
1/9 old TV ads
1/9 reply to yunlong
1/10 avalanches
1/10 alcohol
1/10 alcohol
1/10 alcohol
1/10 alcohol
1/10 alcohol
1/20 humor
2/5 question for f2f
2/10 mayo
2/10 recommendation of RSAM
2/10 question for SA (whenever he accuses me of "real felonies" or the like,
I try to get him on record soon afterward not able to name any)

Except for defending my reputation, I don't see a lot of stirring there.

Old February 12th 05, 01:49 AM
CParker

"Gnarlito" wrote in message
oups.com...

......Snipped......

Pajarito is a real sleeper. It's 10 pounds of skiing packed into a 5
pound package. I really like Santa Fe (I lived there for 7 years and
skied there regularly), but when conditions were equal, I'd drive
across the valley and ski Pajarito instead.

Durango is better yet. the area formerly known as Purgatory is just a
blast to ski. It gets more snow than Telluride.

Don't know why Durango would be mentioned without also mentioning Wolf
Creek.

C.

Old February 12th 05, 02:14 AM
xenman

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:40:18 -0500, Walt wrote:

xenman wrote:

We skied Angel Fire and Red River the same week we skied Taos. At Angel
Fire we were on a lift for 20 minutes while they fixed it.

I've gathered that Angel Fire used to have a lot of problems with their
lifts. I haven't found any reports of chronic lift problems in the past
couple of years, so I'm chancing a vacation there. Given the layout,
they're in real sorry shape if one of the quads goes down. So, it's a
risk. We'll see.

Red River tore up our skies due to low snow.
Yeh I know the southern Rockies have lots of snow this year, unlike the
Cascades.

So, you didn't like it when the coverage was thin, why refuse to go back
now that there's good coverage? Was there something else? I'm
debating whether to spend a day at Red River or not next week. Other
than the thin cover, what else didn't you like?

Don't recall when we skied Taos, it could have been a weekend or holiday.

Yep, going from zero elevation to 10,000 feet in one day can cause all
kinds of problems. Been there, done that.

I'm not sure my wife will want to venture that far north. As it is, we're driving
from San Diego to Texas, So going to Santa Fe will probably be far enough
out of the way, let alone going farther north. Skiing along this trip will be
a diversion from the target, but it may be the only skiing we get in this
year, unless we go to Timberline this summer.
Old February 12th 05, 12:57 PM
Harry Weiner

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:52:18 -0800, "Richard Henry"
wrote this crap:

His reputation is of a manipulative asshole and pathological liar.
Same old, same old.

What lies have I told about you, Scott?

Oh, please.

See, Walt? The cycle is complete.

Darth Vader is your father?

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old February 15th 05, 01:04 PM
Jim Strohm

Walt wrote:

Jim Strohm wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the roads, but he left off Angel

Fire

(often crowded by drape-snatchers) and Red River (redneck whitebread
hick town).

Ok. So do I have to wait to find out what a 'drape-snatcher' is until
I get there on Saturday, or are you going to clue me in in advance?

In either case, the drapes stay home.

"Drapesnatcher" = linoleum lizard.

IOW, "spawn." Harmonics. Little squirts.

And all the other descriptors you can think of for misbehaving,
mistrained children.

Old February 15th 05, 08:17 PM
Jim Strohm

pigo wrote:

"Jim Strohm" wrote in message

And all the other descriptors you can think of for misbehaving,
mistrained children.

****eaters?

Not until they're older.
Old February 16th 05, 01:34 AM
miles

Jim Strohm wrote:

The good Arizona ski areas are an hour off I-40

Sunrise Park is at least an hour, maybe a bit further off I-40. But
Arizona Snowbowl is only 1/2 hour off I-40 near Flagstaff. Both resorts
have excellent snow this year. Some of the best skiing in years.
Old February 16th 05, 01:02 PM
Chester Bullock

miles wrote:
Jim Strohm wrote:

The good Arizona ski areas are an hour off I-40

Sunrise Park is at least an hour, maybe a bit further off I-40. But
Arizona Snowbowl is only 1/2 hour off I-40 near Flagstaff. Both resorts
have excellent snow this year. Some of the best skiing in years.

This depends totally on traffic. The couple times I went, it was almost
like being on I-70 to Summit County on a Saturday morning.

Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 08:03 PM