zermatt/st moritz ski trip

Old September 29th 04, 08:37 AM
Stan Mullery

As far as the Gornergrat is concerned I usually ski on the Rothorn and
go down to Gant and take the cable car up to Hohtalli and then another
across to Gornergrat. I've even then skied down to Furi and taken the
lift up to Furgg in order to avoid walking/bus to KM station.

Remember, it's a holiday. If the free transport is packed then enjoy
life, take a taxi.

Stan

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:22:36 +0100, Sue wrote:

In message , Frank L
Lynn writes

So does it really matter where you stay in the village? If you are
near the Klein matterhorn station, how long does it take on the bus to
get to the village center?

A few minutes. If you don't find jam-packed ski transports entertaining
it might seem longer.

Is one lift better than another (or one worse)? From the trail maps,
it looks like most of the skiing action is near the matterhorn.
Course, you cant really tell much from the trail maps

I've forgotten when you're going! During the main season there should be
snow on all of them, give them a day each then decide how to spend the
rest of your week.
The skiing under the Matterhorn won't hold your interest for long as
it's mostly on glaciers. The safe bits are pisted and you need a guide
on the rest.
If you like bumps there are some famous ones on Stockhorn, if not you
can see them from the Rothorn restaurant terrace.

When you're planning the weather gets most of the votes.
First thing in the morning, look up the valley at the Matterhorn. If
you can't see it, there may be sunshine above the clouds or it may be
sunny over in Cervinia.
If you can see the Matterhorn but there's a banner of cloud blowing off
the peak, there's probably a strong wind at Plateau Rosa (which is the
same place as Testa Grigia, it's on the national frontier). The froth
froze on our beer up there on a day like that.
If you can see all of it, go straight up to Klein Matterhorn and look
over into Italy. If you see Italy, have lunch there while you can.
If you see a beautiful ocean of cloud over Italy, take its picture but
ski in Switzerland.
Some actual weather info is displayed at the main lift stations.

Also, I have read a few times, that a major complaint about zermatt is
that it takes a long time to get from the village to the top. Are
people just complaining because they have to walk to a lift, or take
the bus first, and so that is slowing them down, or is the lift system
that bad?

The lift system's OK (but don't get on the Gornergrat railway unless you
can get a seat, it's a beautiful 40-minute ride to enjoy in comfort) but
the lifts and runs are long. Pass the time by enjoying the views and
looking for chamois.
If the resort runs are open (check for bald spots from the gondola) make
a point of skiing all the way from the Italian border down into Zermatt
without taking any lifts, it's about 2 miles.

Tourist things to do: If you're good off-piste, get a guide and ask to
see the ski-through ice cave under a glacier. I'm not sure where it is
as I'm useless off-piste, but others enjoyed it.
Maybe not to: the ice grotto on Klein Matterhorn is seriously tacky.

Old October 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
Frank L Lynn

I've forgotten when you're going! During the main season there should be
snow on all of them, give them a day each then decide how to spend the
rest of your week.

Origionally, we were going to be there in mid January, but due to work
schedules, it looks like its going to be mid Feburary. So I am not
too worried about the snow coverage.

The skiing under the Matterhorn won't hold your interest for long as
it's mostly on glaciers. The safe bits are pisted and you need a guide
on the rest.

Tourist things to do: If you're good off-piste, get a guide and ask to
see the ski-through ice cave under a glacier. I'm not sure where it is
as I'm useless off-piste, but others enjoyed it.

Is getting a guide expensive? Are they in groups? I have never hired
a guide before, but I would love too. Seems like the way to see a
place like Zermatt. Usually, I have to just ski by myself. While I
enjoy skiing alone, I would like to get off piste and get to know the
area. Which would probably be best with a guide.

When you're planning the weather gets most of the votes.
First thing in the morning, look up the valley at the Matterhorn. If
you can't see it, there may be sunshine above the clouds or it may be
sunny over in Cervinia.
If you can see the Matterhorn but there's a banner of cloud blowing off
the peak, there's probably a strong wind at Plateau Rosa (which is the
same place as Testa Grigia, it's on the national frontier). The froth
froze on our beer up there on a day like that.
If you can see all of it, go straight up to Klein Matterhorn and look
over into Italy. If you see Italy, have lunch there while you can.
If you see a beautiful ocean of cloud over Italy, take its picture but
ski in Switzerland.
Some actual weather info is displayed at the main lift stations.

Thanks. Very helpful.
-franklynn.
Old October 4th 04, 04:29 PM
mike

"Frank L Lynn" wrote in message
om...
Is getting a guide expensive? Are they in groups? I have never hired
a guide before, but I would love too. Seems like the way to see a
place like Zermatt. Usually, I have to just ski by myself. While I
enjoy skiing alone, I would like to get off piste and get to know the
area. Which would probably be best with a guide.

Frank
Check out Zermatt web site www.zermatt.ch and look for the Alpin Center -
"Winter Programme" etc should have all the excursions, tours etc. A guide
will be at least CHF 500 per day, but there are group excursions for 3 - 7
persons - see the web site; alternatively try the ski schools and book a
day's "lesson". There's amazing scope for ski tours around Zermatt,
depending on how strenuous you want it to be. Snow should be good in
February and there may be scope for some fantastic day tours if the
weather's OK.
HTH
Mike