Ski Racks on Hire cars

Old January 29th 04, 07:18 PM
John Owens

Default Ski Racks on Hire cars

Hi

I am going to hire a car in Perpignan for 5 people. I want a ski rack I
think, and need it to carry skis for 5 people. The car hire company I was
booking with says that is not possible.

Can anybody point me to a way out (short of hiring a van for 9 people at 3
times the cost !)

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old January 30th 04, 07:50 AM
Paul Schofield

"John Owens" wrote in message
Hi

I am going to hire a car in Perpignan for 5 people. I want a ski rack I
think, and need it to carry skis for 5 people. The car hire company I was
booking with says that is not possible.

Can anybody point me to a way out (short of hiring a van for 9 people at 3
times the cost !)

--

Take your own? There are several companies in UK that hire ski racks.

Or if you have contacts or are proficient in French you might be able to
find a local hire company

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old January 30th 04, 08:12 AM
John Owens

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message

Take your own? There are several companies in UK that hire ski racks.

Or if you have contacts or are proficient in French you might be able to
find a local hire company

--
Paul Schofield

Thanks

Good thought take my own.

I should have been more explicit about the question. The car hire co will
offer a ski rack. But 4 sets is the max, and I am transporting 5 people.

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old January 30th 04, 08:27 AM
Paul Schofield

"John Owens" wrote in message

.... snipsy ...

I should have been more explicit about the question. The car hire co will
offer a ski rack. But 4 sets is the max, and I am transporting 5 people.

--
John Owens

Okay so just take a few straps and add them on top, or draw lots and someone
has to use blades. Actually my ski holder holds 4 skis and only extends half
way across the rack so there is some space to add extras. Thule make a cheap
(£15 ish) 2 pair ski carrier - check with the hire company about the make of
the rack

Also note that max 4 skis usually means straight skis only - if you've got
carvers or fat skis assume only 3.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old January 30th 04, 12:25 PM
Chris

"John Owens" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am going to hire a car in Perpignan for 5 people. I want a ski rack I
think, and need it to carry skis for 5 people. The car hire company I was
booking with says that is not possible.

Can anybody point me to a way out (short of hiring a van for 9 people at 3
times the cost !)

2x small cars ?

We did this, and in actual fact it worked out cheaper believe it or
not!

Fitting 5 people + skis + boots + luggage into a normal 5-seater was
impractical, and 2x Twingo was cheaper (and more roomy) than a
7-seater MPV.

HTH
Chris
Old January 30th 04, 04:02 PM
John Owens

Thanks

To be clear.
Perpignan - accommodation = 5 people + luggage.
Accomodation - ski resort day 1 - 5 people 50 mines
within ski resort day 1 , 5 people plus hired
skis
Thereafter some travel between various ski resorts (pour rechercher !)
otherwise I would just keep the things in lockers !

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk
"Chris" wrote in message
m...

Old January 30th 04, 07:19 PM
The Older Gentleman

John Owens wrote:

Hi

I am going to hire a car in Perpignan for 5 people. I want a ski rack I
think, and need it to carry skis for 5 people. The car hire company I was
booking with says that is not possible.

Can anybody point me to a way out (short of hiring a van for 9 people at 3
times the cost !)

I remember booking with Avis, last year, and asking for a ski rack to be
supplied with the car.

Avis Toulouse doesn't do ski racks, it turns out.

Wound up with a people carrier, at no extra charge, in the end.

--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 YTC#3
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 IHABWTJ#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06

Racks for hanging snowboards on the wall? David Snowboarding 5 April 19th 04 11:36 PM
hire boots mo Snowboarding 1 January 2nd 04 06:01 AM
Car hire location in Tignes? Robert Rees European Ski Resorts 3 November 22nd 03 12:00 AM
SKI EQUIPMENT HIRE - Advice greatly appreciated Djuro European Ski Resorts 11 November 21st 03 08:41 AM
SKI HIRE - FRANCE - LES ARCS - ADVICE PLEASE Djuro European Ski Resorts 0 November 13th 03 12:00 PM