Austria at Easter

Old January 4th 06, 08:50 PM

Default Austria at Easter

Hi all.

Would anybody recommend any Austrian resorts for an Easter holiday
this year? We can go April 8th, but not before.

There is a France lobby for Tignes or Val for the altitude, but any
Austrian suggestions would be appreciated, as we're trying to learn
German and a trip to France is not quite so helpful on that score!!

Paul
Leigh
Lancs
Old January 4th 06, 11:07 PM

"Paul Richardson" wrote in message
Hi all.

Would anybody recommend any Austrian resorts for an Easter holiday
this year? We can go April 8th, but not before.

There is a France lobby for Tignes or Val for the altitude, but any
Austrian suggestions would be appreciated, as we're trying to learn
German and a trip to France is not quite so helpful on that score!!

Go high! Consider one of the glacier resorts. I went a couple of years ago
to Piztal in Apr. Skiing up high was fine, but elsewhere was very spring
like at that time of year - flowers were budding in the lower meadows etc.
However, this season is looking brilliant in Austria early on, so you may be
fine. I think I'd be tempted to book late, and see how conditions are
closer to the time.

Simon

Old January 5th 06, 10:06 AM

In article ,
"Simon Watkins" wrote:

Go high! Consider one of the glacier resorts.

Avoid Kaprun - Zell am See...

TA
Old January 5th 06, 10:08 AM

Stubai, Sölden or Hintertux are three pretty good glacier resorts. Kaprun
isn't bad either. There has been a load of snow already and unless
something terrible happens you'll be pretty assured of good conditions.

As Simon says, might be better to wait closer until the time because if
things continue as they are now in Austria, you might have a wider choice to
pick from.

Old January 5th 06, 12:10 PM

Paul Richardson wrote:
Hi all.

Would anybody recommend any Austrian resorts for an Easter holiday
this year? We can go April 8th, but not before.

There is a France lobby for Tignes or Val for the altitude, but any
Austrian suggestions would be appreciated, as we're trying to learn
German and a trip to France is not quite so helpful on that score!!

Paul
Leigh
Lancs

Saas Fee and Zermatt in German-speaking Switzerland, and St Anton in
Austria are your best bets for a mid-April vacation. Saas Fee should
have skiing from top to bottom, but resort-level runs in Zermatt and St
Anton are likely to be closed at that time of year (although, they are
massive ski areas, so it should not be a big deal).

Old January 5th 06, 02:20 PM

I have been to Ischgl for the past 3 years during the Easter, or even after
the Easter.

There has always been plenty of snow, however usually soft in the afternoon.

Last year I went there 2 weeks after Easter (in the closing week). Still
lots of snow, and even fresh snow 2 of the days.

Highly reccomendable. And the afterski can't be beaten.

Old January 5th 06, 08:10 PM

Thanks all - given me some food for thought. Saas Fee looks
interesting!

Paul
Old January 6th 06, 12:24 PM

Check out Obergurgl. It's high and it's near to Innsbruck so short transfer
time.

--

This e-mail has been checked to ensure that it is virus free

Old January 7th 06, 12:43 AM

"Lucy" wrote in message
Check out Obergurgl. It's high and it's near to Innsbruck so short
transfer time.

Just how good is Obergurgl? I was there last summer and loved it... I'm
fairly desparate to go back armed with a pair of skis but is it the best
place to aim for? I guess some of the places further down the valley
(Soelden, for example) have more to offer in terms of nightlife and so on
but how does the skiing compare?