TR Mammoth 5/27/12

Old May 28th 12, 03:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default TR Mammoth 5/27/12

Started late in the afternoon and slept a few hours in the car in the
desert, and then in the parking lot after I got to Mammoth.

First run I went up the gondolas all the way to the ridge to find an
ugly mix of rock, ice and fresh snow that disguised which parts were
rock and which parts were ice. After a few semi-controlled turns on
Cornice, I bailed out with a long traverse to the Saddle. I went back
later in the day - the loose snow was no longer hiding the rocks, but
the ice was still boilerplate. I worked my way down, bu it was not
enjoyable.

Saddle Bowl back of 3 was excellent. Everyone else thought so too.

Broadway down to the main lodge was a narrow strip of snow dragged
down from other trails. The snow is so thin that they dragged in some
rocks and gravel too. The strip was narrow enough that a snowcat
grooming and salting the surface completely stopped skier traffic.

Interesting sight - a snowcat towing a box truck up to the Mid Chalet
- full of stuff to set up for the closing day party tomorrow, I guess.

Today I broke even on next year's season pass, even at spring discount
prices.

There was a surprisingly big crowd - cars were parked along the
highway all the way down to the Chair 2 lot.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and softer surface. I plan to sleep
in and take it easy on the hill, more enjoying the party than hard
skiing.

Old May 28th 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

The snow will all be gone soon. Let me know if you are still road trippin'. Maybe we can meet at Lake Powell or something? Have you been there?

Old May 28th 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Monday, May 28, 2012 8:53:20 AM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:10:10 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

The snow will all be gone soon. Let me know if you are still road trippin'. Maybe we can meet at Lake Powell or something? Have you been there?

Kewl. Two pathological liars and dickless cowards bonding.
Hey, freaks?
Both of you bragged about lying to SPD. Despite hundreds of demands, neither of you have ever provided contact information for the SPD officers who you claimed were going to investigate, charge, arrest, and imprison me for exposing you as the lying, stalking, disgusting freaks you are.
If you get together, perhaps you could jog each others memory. You know, like posting the name and ranks of your imaginary friends?
How humiliating for both of you. Incredibly embarassing to be such a ppppppppuuuuuuuuuusssssssssyyyyyyyyy that you would lie to the cops in the first place, because you are not and never will be man enough to try to silence me in person.
But being blown off after you whine about how terrified you are is another order of humiliation. One I will continue to remind you about, with great glee.
Contact info?
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, etc.
Old May 28th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 5/27/12 8:10 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Broadway down to the main lodge was a narrow strip of snow dragged
down from other trails. The snow is so thin that they dragged in some
rocks and gravel too.

That confirms is was a lousy snow year at Mammoth. What you're
describing is July Mammoth in a normal year.

Have you worked out cheap roofs for your regular Mammoth visits next
year? I still lament the closure of the two hostel options, particularly
Kitzbühel. AFAIK, now it's pretty much all motels wall to wall, with
sparsely intermixed fancy/phony "lodges" complete with fireplace . For
our race visits, Motel 6 used to have cheapest rooms with the added
bonus of accepting reservations well ahead but allowing phone
cancellations until 5pm. What's the best options now?
Old May 28th 12, 05:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, May 28, 2012 9:56:58 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/27/12 8:10 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Broadway down to the main lodge was a narrow strip of snow dragged
down from other trails. The snow is so thin that they dragged in some
rocks and gravel too.

That confirms is was a lousy snow year at Mammoth. What you're
describing is July Mammoth in a normal year.

Have you worked out cheap roofs for your regular Mammoth visits next
year? I still lament the closure of the two hostel options, particularly
Kitzbühel. AFAIK, now it's pretty much all motels wall to wall, with
sparsely intermixed fancy/phony "lodges" complete with fireplace . For
our race visits, Motel 6 used to have cheapest rooms with the added
bonus of accepting reservations well ahead but allowing phone
cancellations until 5pm. What's the best options now?

The best option is to provide contact info for the SPD officer Henry claimed was going to arrest me. Funny how a pathological liar like Lloyd is not concerned about his buddy making false police reports. But that's rsa, and that's why this ******** is dead and rotting: assholes with no moral or ethical standards bonding in their depravity and pretending they are decent people.
Easy enough to see through the masks.
Contact info?
Old May 29th 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

I usually stay at Econolodge just up the street from M6. The prices are usually within a few bucks, and it is in my Choice Hotels loyalty plan which gives me a few free nights a year.

We have been staying there since the 80's when it was International Inn. It's cheap and spacious and there is a free shuttle stop at the foot of the driveway
Old May 29th 12, 06:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 27, 8:10*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Monday's report -

It was surprisingly cold - sunny, but all the mel****er had an ice
skin on top.

I got there about 9 and I was trying to decide if the parking space I
found was too far to walk when I saw a car leave the main lot, so I
moved up there and decided that was a good omen.

I ran up the lower gondola to chair 3 and spent a couple of hours
running laps on Chair 3, the best surface on the mountain. I
eventually dared one trip up to the ridge on Chair 23, than a couple
more laps on 3, and out to the car and home.

Old May 29th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Trip trivia --

Now that the bike park is open, some of the shuttle buses tow trailers
with bike racks.

The "permanent" snow fence at the top of Chair 2 was blown over by the
winds recently (I am assuming in the last storm a few days ago)
including uprooting its cement foundations.

Similarly - I saw the remnants of a prefab metal building (garage?
shed?) wrapped around one of the big trees in Olancha..

I spent an hour in the Lone Pine Film Museum (many movies were filmed
in the Lone Pine area) - worth the $5, and a good break in the long
drive home.

I checked out the free wifi systems at the McDonalds in Ridgecrest,
Lone Pine and Mammoth Lakes. All work fine after a signin page, and
all can be accessed from the parking lot. I didn't try the one in
Bishop, but it is advertised as from the same source - AT&T. There is
also a wifi system for MyMammoth and MVP customers at the lodges at
Mammoth, with the password changed every day - you can download it in
the morning once you log in to your MyMammoth account or you can text
WIFI to 20123 receive the code.

On a similar note - the Denny's in Bishop does not have wifi (you can
pick up the signal from the Travelodge next door, but you need a
password); the Denny's at the Palm Ave exit off 215 in San Bernardino
does (usually my last stop on the drive home - coffee and apple crisp
last night).

I knocked off Sunday early enough to catch the Mammoth Theater matinee
of Men in Black 3. Cool movie. Josh Brolin does such a good job of
imitating "young" Tommy Lee Jones I thought some of it must be CGI.

Since I was traveling up without a hotel Saturday night, I slept in
the car in the large gravel lot at Pleasant Valley Rd intersection
just up from Bishop. The rest rooms in the Sawmill County Park rec
area (cross 395, then about a mile) open at 6AM.

The hotel where I usually stay (Econolodge) had a bus parked outside
Sunday morning (which explains why they were sold out Saturday night)
and when I was checking in Sunday PM the manager told a couple of
prospective customers he had nothing left, and recommended the Quality
Inn across the street - "2 rooms left".

I still haven't figured out how to avoid the traffic mess in the
Victorville-Adelanto stretch of 395 just north of the exit from I15.
Going north, I tried heading up SR138, then Sheep Creek Road, but that
way ended in a road blocked by a washout, so I wandered around until I
found my way to 395.
Old May 30th 12, 01:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Hey, speaking of trivia, how about the name and the rank of the cop you bragged was going to investigate, harass, arrest,jail, and convict me of humiliating you?
You know, the one who blew you off with a FORM EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!
Damn, that's funny. Even funnier than EMERGENCY SOCCER GAME!!!!!!!!

Old May 30th 12, 09:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:27:17 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Contact info?

Contact info for the CO who invited you to a reunion?

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.

TR Mammoth 4-23-12 Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 1 April 25th 12 06:43 AM
Mammoth in May Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 18 May 6th 11 11:43 PM
Mammoth/June Wayne Decker Alpine Skiing 0 March 22nd 11 02:59 AM
mammoth hob Snowboarding 3 February 15th 05 10:19 PM
Mammoth Scaramanga Snowboarding 2 November 11th 04 10:24 PM