Question about Salomon Skate 9

Old January 9th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Default Question about Salomon Skate 9

Been trying out a few boots, and am currently looking at the racing
skate 9 (the newer silver ones). Would appreciate your advice on a
couple of things:

1. Seems like this boot is a little too wide, which was a surprise. Any
other SNS boots (except the Carbons) that I might look into?

2. The buckle on its cuff strap seems kinda flimsy for a boot this
expensive. It snaps open real easy and looks like it might break pretty
quickly (in which case the whole cuff needs to be replaced). Since this
seems to be a pretty popular boot, I thought I'd ask if anybody
experienced buckle failures (when it opens or just breaks) and how much
pain they are to fix.

Many thanks

Old January 9th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Larry wrote:
Been trying out a few boots, and am currently looking at the racing
skate 9 (the newer silver ones). Would appreciate your advice on a
couple of things:

1. Seems like this boot is a little too wide, which was a surprise. Any
other SNS boots (except the Carbons) that I might look into?

2. The buckle on its cuff strap seems kinda flimsy for a boot this
expensive. It snaps open real easy and looks like it might break pretty
quickly (in which case the whole cuff needs to be replaced). Since this
seems to be a pretty popular boot, I thought I'd ask if anybody
experienced buckle failures (when it opens or just breaks) and how much
pain they are to fix.

Many thanks

I have the older yellow/black RS9's. The buckle did break (the tiny
part that clips), but that was after 4-5 years and 100s times skiing (I
skate ski at least 40-50 times per year). Even then, the shop I
bought them at replaced the cuff gratis. AND - before I thought to ask
them about it, I simply held the buckle in place with a small piece of
duct tape (I used black, being a stylish person). It really was no big
deal and I would have continued to do that if they'd charged me more
than $10-15 for the part (but it was free).

Aren't the silver RS 9's essentially the same design as the yellow and
black ones? If so, if/when you buy them ask the store about the cuff.
In my experience, it was a pretty much indefinite warranty.

As for the width, I'm one of the few who liked the width of the old
silver carbon boots. They definitely fit my foot better, allowing a
good snug fit with enough toe room. My RS 9's fit OK, but they are a
tad short in order to get a good width fit.

Atomic now makes their boots with Pilot soles. You might try them.
They looked pretty good to me.

Old January 9th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 8 Jan 2007 18:27:34 -0800, "Larry" wrote:

2. The buckle on its cuff strap seems kinda flimsy for a boot this
expensive. It snaps open real easy and looks like it might break pretty
quickly (in which case the whole cuff needs to be replaced). Since this
seems to be a pretty popular boot, I thought I'd ask if anybody
experienced buckle failures (when it opens or just breaks) and how much
pain they are to fix.

I have a cheaper boot, the Active 9, with a similar lame buckle and
did break -- or at least the little tab that seems to help it snapped
closed broke. But the buckle rarely opens anyway, and I in any case I
put the bottom of my pants over the top of the book and have no
problems.
--
JT
****************************
Old January 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Dear Larry:

I think I heard someplace that the Fischer S9000 boots come in two
widths now. They still have a Salomon Pilot sole for this year, but
next they're going to NNNIII.

Randy

Old January 11th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On 8 Jan 2007 18:27:34 -0800, "Larry" wrote:

2. The buckle on its cuff strap seems kinda flimsy for a boot this
expensive. It snaps open real easy and looks like it might break pretty
quickly (in which case the whole cuff needs to be replaced). Since this
seems to be a pretty popular boot, I thought I'd ask if anybody
experienced buckle failures (when it opens or just breaks) and how much
pain they are to fix.

I have a cheaper boot, the Active 9, with a similar lame buckle and
did break -- or at least the little tab that seems to help it snapped
closed broke. But the buckle rarely opens anyway, and I in any case I
put the bottom of my pants over the top of the book and have no
problems.

That's what broke on mine too - the tiny little clip portion, not the
whole buckle lever. It would be interesting to me to see if they would
replace yours for free like they did mine. Mine was at least 3-4 years
old when it went, maybe even 5. They replaced the entire cuff.