Assistance Request; Recommendation near MontPellier France

Old January 25th 04, 05:03 AM
Skip S

Default Assistance Request; Recommendation near MontPellier France

We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2 days
and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.
Old January 26th 04, 02:57 PM
PG

"Skip S" wrote in message
om...
| We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
| mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2 days
| and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.

It's probably close to 4 hrs to the nearest Pyrenean resorts, between 3
to 4 hours to the main ones in the southern Alps. Ok, at about 2 hours'
drive there's the resort on the Mont Ventoux, the 'Mont Serein' (near
Malaucène/Carpentras in the Vaucluse), but although it's got some
testing blacks it's very small and hardly snowsure. That said they've
had some decent cover late in the season recently.

Further afield it's 3 to 3 1/2 hours drive to the likes of Les Orres,
Orcières Merlette, 30 mins more to Vars/Risoul, or Pra-Loup. Plenty to
do in any of these for a couple of days. They're all pretty ugly
high-rise resorts, but for more advice, really depends what you're
looking for.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old January 27th 04, 03:53 AM
Skip S

"PG" wrote in message ...
"Skip S" wrote in message
om...
| We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
| mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2 days
| and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.

It's probably close to 4 hrs to the nearest Pyrenean resorts, between 3
to 4 hours to the main ones in the southern Alps. Ok, at about 2 hours'
drive there's the resort on the Mont Ventoux, the 'Mont Serein' (near
Malaucène/Carpentras in the Vaucluse), but although it's got some
testing blacks it's very small and hardly snowsure. That said they've
had some decent cover late in the season recently.

Further afield it's 3 to 3 1/2 hours drive to the likes of Les Orres,
Orcières Merlette, 30 mins more to Vars/Risoul, or Pra-Loup. Plenty to
do in any of these for a couple of days. They're all pretty ugly
high-rise resorts, but for more advice, really depends what you're
looking for.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

How about travel to Grenobel area?
Old January 27th 04, 05:50 AM
PG

"Skip S" wrote in message
om...
| "PG" wrote in message
| "Skip S" wrote in message
| om...
| | We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
| | mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2
days
| | and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.
|
| It's probably close to 4 hrs to the nearest Pyrenean resorts,
between 3
| to 4 hours to the main ones in the southern Alps. Ok, at about 2
hours'
| drive there's the resort on the Mont Ventoux, the 'Mont Serein'
(near
| Malaucène/Carpentras in the Vaucluse), but although it's got some
| testing blacks it's very small and hardly snowsure. That said
they've
| had some decent cover late in the season recently.
|
| Further afield it's 3 to 3 1/2 hours drive to the likes of Les
Orres,
| Orcières Merlette, 30 mins more to Vars/Risoul, or Pra-Loup. Plenty
| do in any of these for a couple of days. They're all pretty ugly
| high-rise resorts, but for more advice, really depends what you're
| looking for.
|

| How about travel to Grenobel area?

No closer, again 3 - 4 hours to the likes of Chamrousse, Prapoutel, Alpe
d'Huez, 2 Alpes, although Villard de Lans (small and low altitude) is a
bit nearer. As I wrote before, it depends on what sort of skiing you're
after. Font Romeu etc in the Pyrenees is closer than I thought, probably
no more than 3 hours. Not much cover at the moment, they've not had the
dumps we've had in the Alps, though there's plenty of time yet. And if
you're only staying overnight in/near a resort, why not book last minute
when you know what conditions are like.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old January 27th 04, 09:36 AM
Ace

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:57:35 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

"Skip S" wrote in message
. com...
| We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
| mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2 days
| and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.

It's probably close to 4 hrs to the nearest Pyrenean resorts,

Not that much - it's about 150km from Perpignan, so just over an hour
on the Autoroute, then the closest skiing is probably not much more
than half an hour inland from there - say about two hours total to get
to one of the many small French resorts on the way up towards Andorra.
We passed several of them on the way down a couple of weeks ago and
really regretted not having an extra few days to explore them while we
were down that way.

To get to Andorra itself is something like an hour and a half from
Perpignan, depending on conditions etc. Pas de la Casa is the closest
station to the border, with Soldeu about fifteen minutes further.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 27th 04, 10:14 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:57:35 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:
|

| "Skip S" wrote in message
| . com...
| | We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
| | mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2
days
| | and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.
|
| It's probably close to 4 hrs to the nearest Pyrenean resorts,
|
| Not that much - it's about 150km from Perpignan, so just over an hour
| on the Autoroute, then the closest skiing is probably not much more
| than half an hour inland from there - say about two hours total to get
| to one of the many small French resorts on the way up towards Andorra.
| We passed several of them on the way down a couple of weeks ago and
| really regretted not having an extra few days to explore them while we
| were down that way.

Yup, think that was what I said in my follow-up post revising the times.

Pete

Old January 27th 04, 10:20 AM
Ace

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:14:20 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
| On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:57:35 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:
|

| "Skip S" wrote in message
| . com...
| | We will be visiting Montpellier in south/central France during
| | mid-March. Looking for a ski location ~2hr drive. Plan to ski 2
days
| | and stay 1 night. Would appreciate any recommendations.
|
| It's probably close to 4 hrs to the nearest Pyrenean resorts,
|
| Not that much - it's about 150km from Perpignan, so just over an hour
| on the Autoroute, then the closest skiing is probably not much more
| than half an hour inland from there - say about two hours total to get
| to one of the many small French resorts on the way up towards Andorra.
| We passed several of them on the way down a couple of weeks ago and
| really regretted not having an extra few days to explore them while we
| were down that way.

Yup, think that was what I said in my follow-up post revising the times.

Oh, err, yes. So you did.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 27th 04, 11:41 AM
Skip S

Based upon the information you provided, we should plan a 3-4hr drive.
Given this, what is your opinion of Alpe d'Huez and 2 Alpes. I am a
lower 'expert' -single black runs in USA-west resorts + one
child/lower intermediate.

Thanks!
Skip Shein

om...

Old January 27th 04, 12:44 PM
PG

"Skip S" wrote in message
om...
| Based upon the information you provided, we should plan a 3-4hr drive.
| Given this, what is your opinion of Alpe d'Huez and 2 Alpes. I am a
| lower 'expert' -single black runs in USA-west resorts + one
| child/lower intermediate.

http://www.bonjourmagazine.com/artic...0Les2Alpes.pdf

I like the laid-back attitude of 2 Alpes compared to some of the Savoie
resorts. Other than the old village it's not particularly attractive,
but if you're only there for a couple of days...

It has plenty for skiers of all abilities with 140 miles of runs. The
article above gives some info about the resort itself.

Alpe d'Huez is roughly the same size, another modern resort. It has the
longest black, 10 miles or so, in Europe - the Sarenne, from the Pic
Blanc at 3300m, with 2000m of vertical (not forgetting some other good
quality blacks, such as the Tunnel). A lot of the runs face south
though, so at resort level late in the season it can be pretty soft by
lunchtime, icy first thing.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old January 30th 04, 10:42 AM
Skip S

So... 1) Which area is closer to Montpellier - Pyrenees resorts or
2Alps. Would the route to one of the locations follow 'better' roads
from Montpellier?
2) One consideration is that we only have 2 day. Therefore, not a
lot of time to waste on local access issues like parking and jumping
shuttle buses. Also, since stay is limited, a simpler slope and lift
system might work better than some of the vast multi-valley areas
available in many euro locations. Which area do you suggest? We are
adventurous but want to use our time on the slopes wisely.

Thanks, Skip

Ace wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:14:20 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

.. .