Horrid Weather

Old December 7th 04, 10:20 AM
Iain Hendry

Default Horrid Weather

Is anyone else from Southwestern Ontario, and is as bummed as I am about the
lack of snow and excess of rain?

Iain

Old December 7th 04, 12:26 PM
Richard Lumsden

"Iain Hendry" wrote in message

We're moping big time. We have passes at both Holiday Valley(maybe Fri
opening) and Blue Mt(???)They were both open this time last year.
I think that we may have to trip to Mt Tremblant Sunday for a couple of
days if it does not snow here , they have been open for a couple of weeks.
Let it snow , Later Richard

Old December 7th 04, 01:46 PM
Christopher Cox

I wish the jet stream was more friendly to us easterner's this year.
Received calls from some clients of mine in Arizona and Vermont rubbing
it in on the great time they have had so far.

I am really chomping on the bit for a new board. Till my son can tryout
his new Phoenix, I am in a holding pattern. Contenders a

Arbor Element
Donek Phoenix
Arbor A-frame
Donek Incline

The Donek is going to need build time as well, if I go that direction.

Waiting, waiting, waiting........

Old December 7th 04, 02:48 PM
Waco Paco

Iain Hendry wrote:
Is anyone else from Southwestern Ontario, and is as bummed as I am about the
lack of snow and excess of rain?

Iain

Live in Toronto right here.... Just got 3mm of snow. This feels more
like Vancouver weather than Toronto. I guess I'll just go and check the
weather network again, and maybe the Blue Mountain site.

Global warming is going to kill all the Ontario hills

-stu
Old December 7th 04, 06:05 PM
Christopher Cox

Waco Paco wrote:
Iain Hendry wrote:

Is anyone else from Southwestern Ontario, and is as bummed as I am
about the
lack of snow and excess of rain?

Iain

Live in Toronto right here.... Just got 3mm of snow. This feels more
like Vancouver weather than Toronto. I guess I'll just go and check the
weather network again, and maybe the Blue Mountain site.

Global warming is going to kill all the Ontario hills

-stu

Yep the extra 5 watts per Square meter addional sun is a problem, but it
is a cycle. It'll pass.... It did during the middle ages.

Old December 7th 04, 06:14 PM
Jason Medeiros

Yep the extra 5 watts per Square meter addional sun is a problem, but it
is a cycle. It'll pass.... It did during the middle ages.

yeah, but we didn't have 'america' in the middle ages.
;-)

--

jmed

Old December 7th 04, 06:15 PM
bri719

Christopher Cox wrote:

Yep the extra 5 watts per Square meter addional sun is a problem, but
it is a cycle. It'll pass.... It did during the middle ages.

the weather has been pretty chilly here in So Cal. it's been kind of a
blessing though so far...last year was different. we got our fair share
of rain during the season, but it only really snowed a couple of times.
every time it looked like a storm was moving in we started to get our
hopes up, then when it hit the realization came that it was just another
tropical job.

so I kinda feel our Canadian friend's pain. but should get better for
them...

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old December 7th 04, 06:18 PM
Mike T

Global warming is going to kill all the Ontario hills

-stu

Yep the extra 5 watts per Square meter addional sun is a problem, but it
is a cycle. It'll pass.... It did during the middle ages.

There's so much conflicting info and posturing going on in the media w.r.t.
global warming... but after reading multiple sides of the story my
understanding is that the planet is on the tail end of an ice age which
probably would have meant "global warming" even in the absence of humans...
but humans are certainly impacting the climate to a high degree and one
should not expect past weather cycles to necessarily repeat themselves in
the future.

I recall reading - might have been on space.com - that during the Jurassic
period, there was as much oxygen at sea level as we've got at 14000 feet
now. It was also a even warmer then than now. I believe the earth's
rotation was faster then as well (shorter day).

One has to wonder what impact huge plant-eating dinosaurs had on the
climate - eating as much as they did.

Sorry for the rambling post... just wanted to point out that they are many
sides to the Global Warmning story... and also that I believe that what we
do know about it pales in comparison to what we don't know.

Mike T

Old December 7th 04, 07:04 PM
MixD

Jason Medeiros wrote:

Yep the extra 5 watts per Square meter addional sun is a problem,

but it
is a cycle. It'll pass.... It did during the middle ages.

Here in the Pac NW (Seattle) we're getting the warmer/wetter as well.
This was to be expected as part of the El Nino cycle (or just payback
for last year's incredible season). Freezing level is supposed to rise
to 7-8000' this weekend, and if it rains will decimate any base we
might have got. Yep, sux. Some local mountains have only 5-10% their
average snowfall at this time. So...we drive up to BC.

Old December 7th 04, 07:08 PM
Mike T

Here in the Pac NW (Seattle) we're getting the warmer/wetter as well.
This was to be expected as part of the El Nino cycle (or just payback
for last year's incredible season). Freezing level is supposed to rise
to 7-8000' this weekend, and if it rains will decimate any base we
might have got. Yep, sux. Some local mountains have only 5-10% their
average snowfall at this time. So...we drive up to BC.

Such is the nature of the PacNW. Snow comes in bunches so you can go from
nothing to average in a few days, but in general El Nino gives out snow to
CA.