Zermatt

Old February 12th 06, 05:13 PM

Default Zermatt

I am making long range plans to take the family on a first time European ski
trip this coming 06/07 winter. One of several places I am considering is
Zermatt. In a previous post, I read something about "iceballs" on the
slopes. Would someone be so kind as to explain the term "iceballs"?

Mickey Skyring
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
USA

Old February 12th 06, 09:53 PM

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:13:10 -0600, "miltonskyring"
wrote:

... I am making long range plans to take the family on a first time European ski
... trip this coming 06/07 winter. One of several places I am considering is
... Zermatt. In a previous post, I read something about "iceballs" on the
... slopes. Would someone be so kind as to explain the term "iceballs"?
... Mickey Skyring
... Baton Rouge, Louisiana
... USA

It is high and I suppose with the lack of new snow the piste bashers
start chewing up the ice and leave small ice "balls".

I would not consider Zermatt a great place for a beginner.

Mike P
Old February 13th 06, 12:42 AM

wrote:

I am making long range plans to take the family on a first time European ski
trip this coming 06/07 winter. One of several places I am considering is
Zermatt. In a previous post, I read something about "iceballs" on the
slopes. Would someone be so kind as to explain the term "iceballs"?

Also known as "death cookies" :-)

They are just what the name suggests. Small balls of ice on the
surface of the (usually pretty hard) snow. Varying in size from about
pea sized to almost golf ball sized.

They can be very tricky to turn on, and if you fall on them, they can
give you a graze, even through your ski clothing.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
There is no vaccine against stupidity.
Old February 13th 06, 09:30 AM

wrote:

I am making long range plans to take the family on a first time European ski
trip this coming 06/07 winter. One of several places I am considering is
Zermatt. In a previous post, I read something about "iceballs" on the
slopes. Would someone be so kind as to explain the term "iceballs"?

Also known as "death cookies" :-)

They are just what the name suggests. Small balls of ice on the
surface of the (usually pretty hard) snow. Varying in size from about
pea sized to almost golf ball sized.

And the rest... I've found they can get to the size of tennis ball:-)

They can be very tricky to turn on, and if you fall on them, they can
give you a graze, even through your ski clothing.

and they are not unique to Zermatt.

You'll come across hard icy snow, "death cookies", and ruts and other
more demanding conditions any time an area is short of natural snow.
Old well-compacted pistes can get ruts and crud like this as a side
effect of grooming (that's not a dig at any resort in particular, it's
just not possible to make every piste perfectly smooth). Areas with a
lot of artificial snow seem (in my expereince) to have more of this
type of snow, but it's a hell of a lot better than skiing on rocks or
grass. The only way to guarentee to avoid difficult snow like this is
to not go skiing I'm afraid. Or only book a holiday once you know a
place has had a good fall of fresh snow, which isn't always possible.

Old February 13th 06, 10:56 AM

Don't worry about ice balls. Snow conditions in Zermatt are usually quite
good. However, I agree with the previous poster, who said that Zermatt is
not a place for beginners. As long time Zernatt skiers, we tell our fellow
Americans that they will love Zermatt if they are comfortable on US groomed
black diamond trails.

Hope this helps.

Go Tigers!!

Richard

Old February 14th 06, 08:25 PM

I've been skiing for over 20 years and have never come across the terms "ice
balls" or "death cookies". I just did a quick Google and found that they are
American terms. I half expected it to be an Eskimo term since they
apparently have a very large "snow" vocabulary.

With regard to Zermatt, I agree that it is not the best place for learners.
Generally, I would invert the statement such that learners would not
necessarily appreciate Zermatt. However, the Stoked Ski School meets at the
top of Schwarzsee (2583m), where there are some lengthy easy blue runs
serviced by the Matterhorn Express. It sure beats learning on a nursery
slope!

regards,
Paul Smith

"SteveH" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 14th 06, 11:17 PM

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:25:05 -0000, "PSmith"
wrote:

I've been skiing for over 20 years and have never come across the terms "ice
balls" or "death cookies". I just did a quick Google and found that they are
American terms. I half expected it to be an Eskimo term since they
apparently have a very large "snow" vocabulary.

Well I had certainly come across the term before I went to Canada (the
only time I have skied in North America).

I think the first time I heard it was at Schladming about 5 years ago.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'm spending a year dead for tax purposes.
Old February 15th 06, 10:19 AM

I read the initial post as a "first time Europe trip" not first ski
trip.

Yes, Zermatt isn't Center Parks on Ice like a lot of North American
resorts. It is however a very charming and quirky resort. The
scenery is magnificent as is a lot of the food on the mountain. Only
place I go to where it's essential to have a reservation for lunch if
you want to dine at specific times/places.

They're investing in linking the three mountains somewhat better. I
now no longer use the Gornergrat railway as I find it quicker to go up
the Rothorn and ski down to the cablecar that goes up to Hotalli and
then across to Gornergrat.

The Matterhorn Glacier area is great for easy cruising and a lunch in
Italy.

All in all the cuckoo clock charm is different to French or Austrian
resorts.

Stan

Old February 15th 06, 07:58 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
Aside from Kuhbodmen, there are no blue runs from the top Schwarzee. Were
you thinking of Trockener Steg?

Richard

If I recall, like many Zermatt pistes, there are several alternative
variants from Kuhmboden. Generally I don't use this piste unless the blacks
are open (Arolied/Hermetji). I'm back in Zermatt in March - hopefully
Stockhorn etc will all be open!
Paul

"PSmith" wrote in message
I've been skiing for over 20 years and have never come across the terms
"ice balls" or "death cookies". I just did a quick Google and found that
they are American terms. I half expected it to be an Eskimo term since
they apparently have a very large "snow" vocabulary.

With regard to Zermatt, I agree that it is not the best place for
learners. Generally, I would invert the statement such that learners
would not necessarily appreciate Zermatt. However, the Stoked Ski School
meets at the top of Schwarzsee (2583m), where there are some lengthy easy
blue runs serviced by the Matterhorn Express. It sure beats learning on a
nursery slope!

regards,
Paul Smith

"SteveH" wrote in message