Where is the cheapest place to live and within a hour drive to great skiing?

Old February 11th 05, 03:23 PM
AH

East? He said "great skiing"..

"Jeff" wrote in message
news:Zy4Pd.1685$uc.75@trnddc01...
wrote:
Guys,

Where is the cheapest place to live and within a hour drive to great
skiing?

Thanks,

Randolf

Where do you currently live and approximately where would you like
to live? East or West?

Old February 11th 05, 03:29 PM
DingusMilktoast

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
DingusMilktoast wrote:
You mean the world is not REALLY our oyster???

DAMN!

Good thing I quit eating them. We dumped too much mercury in the ocean

you
know...

I thought it was the Japanese who were way ahead in the "dump mercury in
the ocean" sweepstakes?

Not sure, but I bet they are way ahead in the 'eat mercury from the ocean'
category!

Cheers
DMT

Old February 11th 05, 03:35 PM
lal_truckee

DingusMilktoast wrote:

What does one do for a living in Nevada east of Mammoth and Yosemite???

Clip coupons?

Anyway, no one said anything about earning your keep, just living cheap.

In the contiguious states I'd suggest Elko, adjacent to the Ruby
Mountains; plenty of abandoned structures you could just move into free
- at least until the owner of the land discovered you in which case
you'd have to move into the neighboring structure 3 miles down the track.

Of course the Rubys are not lift served - perhaps that is why they offer
great skiing?
Old February 11th 05, 03:38 PM
Jeff

AH wrote:
East? He said "great skiing"..

You suck ;-)
Old February 11th 05, 03:41 PM
lal_truckee

DingusMilktoast wrote:
You mean the world is not REALLY our oyster???

DAMN!

Good thing I quit eating them. We dumped too much mercury in the ocean you
know...

I thought it was the Japanese who were way ahead in the "dump mercury in
the ocean" sweepstakes?

Which is the anti-answer, BTW. Japan is not the cheapest place to live
within a hour drive to great skiing.
Old February 11th 05, 03:57 PM

I would like to live in the west, but not California or Salt Lake city.
I want to buy housing for no more than $50 square foot. Also be
within one hour drive to a descent ski area and 2.5 hours to a GREAT
ski area. Make sense?

Sorry I wasn't more specific earlier, but I had to think about it a
little harder.

Randolf

Old February 11th 05, 04:10 PM
Tommy T.

"Jeff" wrote in message
AH wrote:
East? He said "great skiing"..

You suck ;-)

I live east; I teach at an eastern area; I've skied almost every open and
closed areas in New England for 30 years. You'll notice my list didn't
include any thing in the east although I said I had considered everything
from Ste. Anne to Ski Apache and Whistler to Snowshoe.

Tommy T.

Old February 11th 05, 04:57 PM
Alan Baker

In article IL3Pd.17234$ya6.10808@trndny01,
"Tommy T." wrote:

If Canada is an option, central BC is probably the sleeper in the best bet
list. Inexpensive, great but underutilized areas and good backcountry.
Poor access, no cultural ops and no coffee shops might be draw backs.

Just to add a small correction: IMO, coffee culture has thoroughly
arrived throughout BC. :-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia