Canada Topo/Ski Maps

Old January 15th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,alt.rec.hiking,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.backcountry

Default Canada Topo/Ski Maps

Hi guys. I will go skiing/skimountaineering in Canada in Febraury and
I'm wondering which are the best maps for trekking/skiing in that
area. I'm referring to 1:25,000 (1cm=25,000cm) scale or 1:50,000.

Thank you very much

Old January 15th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.backcountry

Alfred Falk:
You need to be more specific as to which area
you are interested in.

It will be in the area of Banff, Kootenay, Rogers'Pass...

Nicola

Old January 15th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,alt.rec.hiking,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.backcountry
Bill Brabender

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys. I will go skiing/skimountaineering in Canada in Febraury and
I'm wondering which are the best maps for trekking/skiing in that
area. I'm referring to 1:25,000 (1cm=25,000cm) scale or 1:50,000.

Thank you very much

Depending upon where you are going, Chrismar may have maps you can use.

Their maps are excellent. printed on plastic and almost indestructible -
great detail and appropriate to the use that they are for. I have used them
extensively for canoeing and also some of the hiking ones - they have
several for the mountains in Western Canada.

You can check them out at http://www.chrismar.com

Bill

Old January 18th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,alt.rec.hiking,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.backcountry
JS

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys. I will go skiing/skimountaineering in Canada in Febraury and
I'm wondering which are the best maps for trekking/skiing in that
area. I'm referring to 1:25,000 (1cm=25,000cm) scale or 1:50,000.

Thank you very much

You might find the Backroad Mapbook handy to find trailheads and stuff like
that.
You can probably order backcountry maps from Parks Canada or some other
organization.
The Canadian Rockies are extensively travelled in the winter, there might
even be a message board pertaining to just that. (other than this one.)

Old January 18th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,alt.rec.hiking,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.backcountry
JS

"JS" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys. I will go skiing/skimountaineering in Canada in Febraury and
I'm wondering which are the best maps for trekking/skiing in that
area. I'm referring to 1:25,000 (1cm=25,000cm) scale or 1:50,000.

Thank you very much

You might find the Backroad Mapbook handy to find trailheads and stuff
like that.
You can probably order backcountry maps from Parks Canada or some other
organization.
The Canadian Rockies are extensively travelled in the winter, there might
even be a message board pertaining to just that. (other than this one.)

Oh yeah...... Come prepared with Avalanche rescue gear, we are having a
whopper of a snow season.

Old January 18th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,alt.rec.hiking,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.backcountry
Mike Romain

The backroad mapbooks are nice, but dangerous!

A lot of the Canadian Bush trails in them are old logging trails and
forestry access trails that go through swamps (beavers are active up
here, a trail can now be under 2' or more of water) and are overgrown to
ATV or even single track size. Some can just end at washouts, well lots
do because the loggers are no longer maintaining the road. The original
trail on the map in the book was a ford, loggers made a culvert
crossing, the washout banks are cliffs. This can make the trail still
look good but be unused. If you have a breakdown or injury on any of
these trails, help might never wander along. We, my teenage son and
nephew and I had the bottom drop out of one trail like that and were
stuck for 3 days at -25 before figuring no one was coming so we hiked
out. At least we were prepared for winter camping. We could hear
snowmobiles in the distance but were off on a spur trail....

I would recommend you try to find local snowmobile or ski clubs to find
out what trails are active in the area and stick to them.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

JS wrote:
oups.com...