alpine bindings and AT boots

Old April 3rd 05, 09:31 PM

Default alpine bindings and AT boots

Allo,
I've just came back from the trip to the Tatras. Great skiing
conditions. However the trip was a disaster.
I took my alpine skis (with Marker MR Rotamat) and AT boots (Denali XT).
The bindings released in nearly each ascent.
Usually I set the bindings to 6-8. After these accidents I added one
more step - so this is not the point.

Doesn't Marker MR Rotamat work with AT boots???

TA
Old April 4th 05, 10:48 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old April 4th 05, 10:55 PM
VtSkier

Booker C. Bense wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Allo,
I've just came back from the trip to the Tatras. Great skiing
conditions. However the trip was a disaster.
I took my alpine skis (with Marker MR Rotamat) and AT boots (Denali XT).
The bindings released in nearly each ascent.
Usually I set the bindings to 6-8. After these accidents I added one
more step - so this is not the point.

Doesn't Marker MR Rotamat work with AT boots???

_ I think you know the answer already. In general while you
can stuff AT boots into alpine bindings, there are no guarantees
about releasabilty and retention. Alpine bindings are
designed to work with a relatively smooth soled standardized
alpine boot. There are AT bindings that will are designed to
work with both AT and regular boots.

_ Booker C. Bense

I "generally" agree with this, but also responded to this
question saying that my AT boots fit my regular Marker
step-ins (not Rotamats) just fine *as long as I adjusted
the bindings for boot sole length*.

VtSkier
Old April 5th 05, 04:05 PM

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Don't you test your equipment before you take if
for a trip where you might have trouble and now
way to fix it?

Well, THAT was a kind of test... I tried that set at home, of course. It
seemed to be OK.
:-(
In practice the bindings released each time I passed icy crudes...

Actually my Marker step ins (not Rotamats) work
just fine with my AT boots (Lowa Structura),
However, the boot soles are not the same length
as my alpine boots and need to be adjusted for
length, but not for release.

I've just realised... My Scarpa Denali are 7mm shorter than my alpine
boots, Lange_Ground_Zero. The length regulation in Rotamats (in fact
theye are Rotamats Step-ins) is somehow awkward, though...

Remember, if the forward pressure (boot sole length
adjustment) is not correct, your release will not
be correct.

Perhaps that was the point...

TA
Old April 5th 05, 04:08 PM

In article ,
Booker C. Bense
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Apr.04.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu
wrote:

In general while you
can stuff AT boots into alpine bindings, there are no guarantees
about releasabilty and retention. Alpine bindings are
designed to work with a relatively smooth soled standardized
alpine boot. There are AT bindings that will are designed to
work with both AT and regular boots.

I know that.
But on the other hand I can see lift operators (is there such a word?)
using such sets (AT boots+alpine skis) quite often...

TA
Old April 5th 05, 05:52 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old April 5th 05, 10:20 PM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ I think you know the answer already. In general while you can stuff
AT boots into alpine bindings, there are no guarantees
about releasabilty and retention. Alpine bindings are designed to work
with a relatively smooth soled standardized
alpine boot. There are AT bindings that will are designed to
work with both AT and regular boots.
_ Booker C. Bense

I "generally" agree with this, but also responded to this
question saying that my AT boots fit my regular Marker
step-ins (not Rotamats) just fine *as long as I adjusted
the bindings for boot sole length*.

Marker has that physically sliding antifriction device at the toe - I
suggests it works with the AT lug sole whereas teflon type antifriction
pads would be probamatic. That may be why you are having good luck with
your AT boot/alpine binding rig.

But absolutely - the binding has to be adjusted for proper sole length
by setting the pre-load appropriately.
Old April 5th 05, 11:44 PM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Booker C. Bense wrote:

[...]

Agree and Tyrolia also has an active AFD which is why
I have them on the skis that I normally use with the
AT boots.