Transport in Switzerland - Zurich to Davos, Wengen, and Engelberg!

Old November 25th 03, 04:23 PM
Alan van Wyk

Default Transport in Switzerland - Zurich to Davos, Wengen, and Engelberg!

I have a couple of trips booked to Switzerland over the upcoming
season and was wondering what the cheapest way to get to the relevant
resorts are!

I will be landing at Zurich on three seperate occasions and will need
to transfer to Davos, Engelberg and Lauterbrunnen(Wengen)
I know I can go to the Swiss Tourist office and buy ski train tickets
for £55 return each time, but I was wondering whether simply buying
normal 2nd class tickets would work out cheaper! As each of these
trips is for 5 to 7 people, it means a total of 18 return train
tickets need to be purchased. A saving of £10 means a toltal saving of
near £200 for us, which is a fair chunk!

Any Advice would be very much appreciated!

Alan van Wyk
Old November 26th 03, 06:51 AM
InMyTree

"Alan van Wyk" wrote in message
om...
I will be landing at Zurich on three seperate occasions and will need
to transfer to Davos

I've travelled from Zurich to Davos on the train, and just bought a 2nd
class ticket at the station.. it was less than 55 pounds, but I can't
exactly remember how much.. something like 75CHF..

Old November 26th 03, 08:45 AM
Alan van Wyk

Thank You Johannes, but i think you slightly misunderstood my query
slightly, though your information is very helpful!

I have 3 seperate trips booked.

I need return prices from Zurich Airport to Davos.

On a seperate occasion I need return prices from Zurich Airport to
Engelberg.

And on another seperate occasion I need return prices from Zurich
Airport to Wengen.

I have looked on the sbb website, but I am not 100% sure how the rail
system works in Switzerland. What I do know is that when I was last in
Switzerland, the rail service was clean efficient and always on time!

Thanks for your help.
Alan van Wyk
Old November 26th 03, 09:05 AM
Simon Brown

Hi,

Some info:
https://shop.sbb.ch/webapp/commerce/.../report?LANG=E

Second class return to Davos is cheaper than this, can't honestly see the
point. I thought these tickets were a lot cheaper.

www.sbb.ch will show you the ticket prices. For example Zurich airport - -
Davos second class is CHF 98.

Shout if you need more help.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old November 26th 03, 03:45 PM
Alan van Wyk

Thanks For your Responses aga
in
I have had a look and all three tickets seem to cost the same or LESS
than £56!

That doesn't make any sense though? Do you think it is better just
land at thew airport then and buy the tickets there?
I get Zurich to Lauterbrunnen(Wengen) for 104 CHF
Zurich to Davos for CHF 98.00
and Zurich to Engelberg for CHF 76.80

The Swiss Tourist Office want to charge me £56 for each return ticket
(124 CHF)

i find it really odd that the tourist office would try to pull a quick
one on potential Tourists/Travellers!

Last season I went to Switzerland three times and this season three
times!

Is it possible to book these tickets up front?

Thanks again for your input!
Alan van Wyk
Old November 26th 03, 04:59 PM
S. Gione

Take a look at the Swiss Transfer Ticket. It gives one round trip from
gateway city to one destination.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...fer_ticket.htm

I used this last year from Geneva -- Zermatt.

It's listed as $80 (2nd class) which, I believe is approx £50 round-trip. I
believe one of the conditions is that is must be purchased from outside of
the country before departure, hopefully (for you) not limited to U.S. points
of origin.

Old November 27th 03, 10:27 AM
Marco Cattaneo

- If the total of your tickets exceeds 300 CHF, you should also buy the
half-price card that entitles you to half price travel on virtually all
trains in Switzerland, and the child rate on public transport in most
cities.

CHF 150 for one year (CHF 87 for 16 year old kids)
CHF 250 for two years
CHF 333 for three years

I think you have to order in advance, but a foreign address is not a
problem. See http://www.rail.ch/pv/billab_e.htm

(Sounds like you visit Switzerland frequently, the three-year pass is
probably good for you)

- If you have kids under 16 travelling with their parents, buy a child card
for 20CHF, entitles to free travel on most trains for one year.

Old November 27th 03, 11:50 AM
Ian Spare

On 27/11/2003 12:27, in article , "Marco
Cattaneo" wrote:

- If the total of your tickets exceeds 300 CHF, you should also buy the
half-price card that entitles you to half price travel on virtually all
trains in Switzerland, and the child rate on public transport in most
cities.

CHF 150 for one year (CHF 87 for 16 year old kids)
CHF 250 for two years
CHF 333 for three years

I think you have to order in advance, but a foreign address is not a
problem. See http://www.rail.ch/pv/billab_e.htm

No, you can buy it on the spot and they issue a temporary card until the
real plastic one comes through the post. You can use the temp' card in the
meantime.