Help for a newbie fanatic

Old November 12th 03, 05:14 PM
Savage

Default Help for a newbie fanatic

Hello,
I'm pleading to the snowboarding Oracles for a little help with a
snowboarding decision. I've boarded several times with rentals and i'm
thinking of buying a second-hand board of my very own! When using
rentals i've noticed a big difference in how the boards handle when
cruising downhill and making turns. Some boards turn effortlessly and
others require a real effort, with loads of hip turn, making it really
hard work. Before i buy my own board i need to know why this is so?
Could it be snow conditions, board length, effective edge,
torsion/flexibilty etc etc etc.
Before my head explodes from reading too many magazines I pray someone
out there will help me out.
Thanks.

ps, Would a salomon definition 165 be out of my league, considering my
aversion to sweating it out! (I'm 6.2 and have feet size 10.5 uk and
95kg)
Old November 13th 03, 02:21 PM
Mike T

ps, Would a salomon definition 165 be out of my league, considering
my
aversion to sweating it out! (I'm 6.2 and have feet size 10.5 uk and
95kg)

Should be ok, with usual standard disclaimers. Salomon make good
boards, although the size *might* be a little too short for you, but
that depends on how you ride. Check that the width of the board is
suitable for your feet before you buy.

The Definition is exceedingly stiff and is going to be some work. (I've
never ridden it but I have ridden the 550 and the FRS which are both
similar in stiffness). If you want an easy-turning board you might look
at something in a similar size but slightly softer.

Mike T

Old November 13th 03, 06:35 PM
Neil Gendzwill

"Mike T" wrote

The Definition is exceedingly stiff and is going to be some work. (I've
never ridden it but I have ridden the 550 and the FRS which are both
similar in stiffness).

Really, the Definition is stiffer than the FRS? I've only shop-flexed
the FRS but it was by far the stiffest freeride board I've ever seen.
It was even stiffer than an FP they had in the shop!

Neil
Old November 13th 03, 07:25 PM
Mike T

Really, the Definition is stiffer than the FRS? I've only shop-flexed
the FRS but it was by far the stiffest freeride board I've ever seen.
It was even stiffer than an FP they had in the shop!

I only said "similar" - the FRS is definitely a bit stiffer than a 550
and probably stiffer than a Definition as well. I'm surprised you found
the FRS stiffer than an FP - my FRS 165 is noticeably softer than my
Axis 172. A listing from stiffest to least stiff, of perceived
stiffness, of some boards I've owned and demoed:

Donek Freecarve 163
Donek Axis 172
Salomon FRS 165
Salomon 550 164 (probably same as Definition)
*Donek Wide 161, Incline 160
*Salomon 450 163 (same as Regulate or Forecast these days?)
Burton Custom 160

To the original poster - perhaps look at board like these (*) only a bit
bigger? Example - Donek Wide 165, or next size up in the
450/Forecast/Regulate/whatever Salomon is calling it.