Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

Old August 29th 03, 04:54 PM
Ian Spare

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

On 28 Aug 2003 16:59:52 +0100, (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

All this talk about Lech has convinced me it's a good place to go.
So what are the chances of finding reasonable-priced self catering
accommodation there over new year week (27/12 - 3/1)?

I don't fancy St. Anton - from what I hear it's far too noisy for the
likes of us. I've heard Stuben (I think it was) might be good though...

Lots of people like St Anton, I prefer Lech and Stuben, we go to one
of the two for Xmass and I weekend there pretty often. If you like it
quiet then you'd probably prefer Lech and Stuben. There's Zurs but I'm
not keen, just a collection of expensive hotels on the side of the
road, but other people like it.

Either way, terrific skiing, Lech sometimes seemed overshadowed by St
Anton which is a shame, Lech has some great skiing as well.

And coming by car, is there any chance we might not be able to get
there?

I've never had a problem and I go quite often, it's been interesting a
couple of times :-) Not sure where you coming from or what you're
driving though, in my part of the world we mostly drive on winter
tyres in the winter aqnd I've four wheel drive.

If they could sort out their web site, maybe I could check some of
these things for myself, but it keeps crashing my browser.

Adrian

Old August 29th 03, 05:15 PM
MoonMan

In , Ace typed:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:36:04 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

In , Alex Heney typed:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:13:37 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

snip

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why
can't we move with the technology?

Bottom posting is the norm because that is the way we read.

the norm with email is to add your comment at the top, this is why OE
defaults to it.

a) it's not a universal norm

b) usenet |=email

I didn't say it was, I was using it as an example just as I was with HTML

it makes life simpler because the text which you have
responded to is always immediatly below what you are typing. this is
still linear text with the most relevant information at the top and
older less relevant information after it, much more logical and much
more usable.

This may be fine and dandy in a two-way conversation, but usenet just
isn't like that. Somebody might be replying to a thread that's already
ten-deep, and will need to see exactly who said what to whom, in
response to what. This isn't easily done in a top-post stylee.

In internal emails one typically quotes the entirety of each post so
far, so one _could_ read them all, by going to the bottom and working
upwards, but on usenet it's accepted that quoted material is trimmed
to the relevant only.

This is mainly my point, if people snipped irrelevant information it
wouldn't matter but the fact is THEY DON'T.

And there are many occasions, even working in a company where
top-posting email is the rule, that I, and others, have resorted to
putting comments in-line with the previous posting, very much like is
normal on usenet.

We use comments in line, usually using different colours, it depends on
wether you are answering the whole message or are answering points.

Do you not like HTML because it isn't "the way we read"?

Many people use newsreaders that are not HTML-enabled so would be
unable to read it. Usenet is a text-only concept, so it's no good
saying all these peeps should upgrade to the latest Windoze kit,
particularly as many of them will have been around, using textonly
software, since before 'the internet' was born.

I did not mean HTML in usenet, Usenet is text only. what I meant was do you
not like Hypertext because as it is not linear it is not the same as the
text we use to read as children.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old August 30th 03, 11:41 PM
Alex Heney

wrote:

snip

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why
can't we move with the technology?

Because it is NOTHING to do with teletypes.

Bottom posting is the norm because that is the way we read.

the norm with email is to add your comment at the top, this is why OE
defaults to it. it makes life simpler because the text which you have
responded to is always immediatly below what you are typing. this is still
linear text with the most relevant information at the top and older less
relevant information after it, much more logical and much more usable.

With email, you are most commonly making very quick responses, and are
responding to the person who wrote the email specifically, rather than
to a group.

Both of those features mean that you should rarely need to read the
quoted text. When there is a need, it is just as hard to read it
properly with top posted email.

I also strongly suspect that you have cause and effect mixed up when
you say that is why OE does it that way. It is only relatively
recently (since Outlook and OE became the most common mail clients)
that I have come across it as the norm.

Do you not like HTML because it isn't "the way we read"?

I have never seen anything in HTML (other than some newsgroup
postings) which has not had all the paragraphs following in normal
reading order. So no, there is nothing about HTML which is "not the
way we read".

I don't actually think HTML has any place in usenet, but that is a
different issue. that is because it takes around three times as much
bandwidth, and many news clients (including mine) will not render it.
Which they shouldn't, if they are following the standards.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Why can't women put the toilet seat back up?

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old August 31st 03, 04:01 PM
BrritSki

MoonMan wrote:

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why can't we
move with the technology?

Rubbish !

A. Top posters

There's another one along similar lines :

A: Because it upsets the logical flow of the thread.
Q: Why is top posting a bad idea?
Old August 31st 03, 04:16 PM
Joseph Feng

Ralf Langanke wrote in message ...

I think you need a rental car in innsbruck if you want to reach the
resorts fast.

The local buses leave town at about 9am and take about an hour to get
to the closer ski areas. Return buses are infrequent, so you are
committed to staying even if you have skied all of the runs and are
ready to return.
Old September 1st 03, 09:24 PM
Sue

In message , Ian Spare
writes
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:41:23 +0200, Ace wrote:

'Mere' is the misleading part here. In French, anywhere there is
skiing is referred to as a Station de Ski. It's in no way connected to
the existence or otherwise of town, village or city.

Quite right, I'd forgotton that the French "stations de ski" was
generally translated as ski resorts until you mentioned it.
Personally, resorts doesn't sound right to me, it suggest places you
vaction in, 90% of my skiing (probably like yours) is weekends in one
of my flats or days from the house (which should improve this year as
we're living near enough for Verbier).

But you wouldn't call a place a "station de bagnade" if it had only a
beach, would you? You'd expect hotels, a promenade - all the facilities
of a seaside/lakeside resort.
Isn't it the place with two lifts and a cafe that doesn't deserve to be
called a "station"?

(My grandmother went to the hill station each hot weather; Indian
English still has the coastal station too.)
--
Sue ]
Old September 2nd 03, 07:10 PM
BrritSki

David Off wrote:

Ian Spare wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:24:02 +0100, Sue wrote:

But you wouldn't call a place a "station de bagnade" if it had only a
beach, would you? You'd expect hotels, a promenade - all the facilities
of a seaside/lakeside resort.
Isn't it the place with two lifts and a cafe that doesn't deserve to be
called a "station"?

I assume you mean baignade ?

Sorry, I don't understand. In French we do use the terms station de
ski and staion de montagne, the fact we don't say station de baignade

No, it is 'station balneaire', but you need to know when and when not to
use the expression.

I go to one of those when I want a whale of a time....

Old September 3rd 03, 08:53 AM
Jonathan Gogan

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:24:02 +0100, Sue wrote:

But you wouldn't call a place a "station de bagnade" if it had only a
beach, would you? You'd expect hotels, a promenade - all the facilities
of a seaside/lakeside resort.

Well it may be a moot point, but if I saw somewhere on the coast
marked as a 'Station de Baignade' I would _expect_ access to the sea,
be it beach or jetty, possibly a lifeguard, maybe even a shower. Shops
& cafés would be a bonus, hotels & promenade unlikely.

That's what _I_ would take it to mean, if such a term was used.

Isn't it the place with two lifts and a cafe that doesn't deserve to be
called a "station"?

Ace ecrit:
Sounds like the term is ideally suited. It would be innacurate to call
such a place a 'resort'. What term would you prefer?

drivel
My point entirely.
/drivel
Jonathan

Old September 3rd 03, 09:11 AM
Ace

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:53:15 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:24:02 +0100, Sue wrote:

snip

To make it easier to read just your comments, you might like to change
your outlook settings to prefix each line of quoted text with a ,
like what most other folk do. Also you could try snipping unneeded
test in the post you're quoting.

Ace ecrit:
Sounds like the term is ideally suited. It would be innacurate to call
such a place a 'resort'. What term would you prefer?

drivel
My point entirely.
/drivel

Eh? Not entirely, I feel, as you were the one saying we should _not_
use station for anywhere that was large enough to call a town, which
is not what I was saying at all.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)