fluoro powder need input

Old March 9th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
wintermutt

Default fluoro powder need input

i finally got a wax-fluoro combination to work well (by well i mean i
was significantly faster than some of my competitors coasting
downhill).
this is what i did i am asking for input.
i ironed on a high fluoro content wax let it cool then scraped the wax
off. no brushing yet. then i sprinkled on some fluoro powder (the
really small particle kind). then i ironed that on. then i scraped it
again, brushed with copper then nylon then horsehair.
the reason i did this was i thought my bases would stand a better
chance of not getting heat damage if there was more wax on the bases
when i ironed on the fluoro powder. i did not expect to get the speed
but this is the fastest technique in my hands so far.
anyone else do it this way? any ideas on why this is a good or bad
technique?
thank you.
Old March 10th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

Sounds about right to me wintermutt.
If its really warm conditions with wet snow or water I'd add some big
structure with my Toko "press in" structure tool too...

JKal.

It is amazing how much speed the fluoros give you in these conditions.

Old March 10th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
wintermutt

On Mar 10, 9:02*am, 32 Degrees B wrote:
[...]

thank you.- Hide quoted text -

where do i learn how do use a structure tool? does it really help that
much.??
Old March 10th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wintermutt wrote:

where do i learn how do use a structure tool? does it really help that
much.??

If you ski well enough to appreciate different types of snow conditions
and how your speed varies with them, then structure is helpful and, in
racing, important no matter where you are in the pack. It's about how
the snow melt caused by the friction of your skis is handled on the
ski's surface. It's the difference between creating suction that slows
you down because the water has nowhere to go, vs. cutting through more
efficiently by channeling it across the ski base. Thus, we're talking
warmer temps, maybe upper 20s and higher. In colder conditions a fine
or universal grind structure is usually sufficient, maybe aided with a
little horsehair brushing, unless a strong sun is heating the surface
and a little more channeling structure is needed.

Some structure tools work before the waxing and some after. The Toko
Structurite is a very simple rolling tool that is used after final
scraping and brushing. You put in the appropriate roller (patterns:
medium, coarse, etc.), clamp the unit's plastic edges over the side of
the ski and push it down the length (split shifts for classic). Real
simple and quick. I usually run it twice and finish with a quick
polishing brush or wipe.

rm

Old March 10th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:33:09 -0700 (PDT), wintermutt
wrote:

[...]

In warm, wet snow conditions, yes.

I can't say if it's worth it to you, but the Toko Sturcturite tool is
helpful and easy to use - you just roll it over a ski base that's at
room temp or a little warmer, pushing hard enough that it leaves a
pattern on the base.