OT - PAL European VHS conversion to US VHS

Old March 4th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default OT - PAL European VHS conversion to US VHS

Anyone out there know where i can convert a pal VHS from european TV
recording to American VHS ???

I'll gladly send my 6 hours of Vasaloppet video recorded by a friend
somewhere to be converted so i can watch it !!

JKal.
(yes, i've tried google !)

Old March 5th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

I have done this a few times. What I do is:
1. Enlist a friend with a European combined VHS-DVD recorder (such as
my mother).
2. Get them to copy the VHS to DVD. This will not play in a US DVD
player because it is still in PAL format, but it will play in a
computer.
3. Use a computer to rework the PAL DVD to a NTSC DVD, which will play
in a US DVD player. I use Nero for this.

Old March 5th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Where are you located? Local Eastern-European communities have video
stores that can do it. E.g. the Brighton Beach district in NYC and
Sunset in San Fran (Russian communities).

Old March 5th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mar 5, 4:53 am, "
wrote:
Where are you located? Local Eastern-European communities have video
stores that can do it. E.g. the Brighton Beach district in NYC and
Sunset in San Fran (Russian communities).

Lots of places in LA too when I lived there. If you plan on getting
more tapes sent, maybe look into a tape player that converts/plays to
and from the various formats. They aren't that expensive anymore. I
have one I don't use anymore, but it would probably cost more to send
it from Norway than for you to find a new one someplace.

Joseph

Old March 5th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

I have just ONE set of tapes I want to get converted to US VHS from
PAL.
you mentioned LA -- where? have an address or know a business
name ???
(i tried googling, no luck)

JKal.

thanks for all the help !!

Old March 5th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Hi Hugh.... GREAT race this weekend. Harrington is tough.

I have just ONE set of tapes i need to get converted, one time. So, i'm
looking for a business that will do it. Any ideas? I"ve tried googling, no
luck and i'm a good googler

TIA.
Jeff Kalember
PS. tell Julia i said hi

ups.com...

Old March 5th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 5 Mar 2007 09:58:11 -0800, "32 Degrees B"
wrote:

I have just ONE set of tapes I want to get converted to US VHS from
PAL.
you mentioned LA -- where? have an address or know a business
name ???

I've seen little shops in New York City with signs that say "video
conversion" -- typically camera shops or non-chain video rental shops
--
JT
Old March 6th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

That did it JT -- used the term "video conversion" in google and found a
place in minnesota !
Kinda pricey -- $40 for 6 hours of vasaloppet tape !!!!!!! ouch, but worth
it.

JKal.