new boots

Old February 24th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Default new boots

Anybody have any suggestion or comments as to help break in new boots?
I realize this is not related to any discussion in the last 500 hundred
posts, but any insight?
Old February 24th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

down_hill wrote:
Anybody have any suggestion or comments as to help break in new boots?
I realize this is not related to any discussion in the last 500 hundred
posts, but any insight?

Hrmph! Haven't you been around long enough to know that
ski boots don't "break in"? They need to be fitted. Fitted
by a good bootfitter. Wearing the thinnest possible socks.
They will "pack out" as time goes on, but this isn't the
same as breaking in. They simply get larger (a very little
bit) all through and as you tighten them to compensate,
the pressure points will remain.

Since you asked about "breaking in", I assume there is
tightness where you don't want it. A boot fitter can
fix this. It's easier to make it bigger that to have it
too big and try to make it smaller.

My latest came with heat fit liners. Worth the price of
admission IMO. The boot fitter put foam patches on all
of the "hot spots" on my feet and a toe cap over my
toes, THEN he heated the liners and put them on my feet
with my custom insert inside and I wore them around the
store for an hour or so. That was it. They've been near
perfect since this was done last November.
Old February 24th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G

On Feb 24, 3:08 pm, VtSkier wrote:
down_hill wrote:
[...]

Beware of mass-market stores, more than likely their staff is less
than experienced. Here in the east in particular many of the stores
have been "starving" due to bad weather, thus there are low priced
deals to be had, however ensure you ask for an experienced boot
fitter. If the store dosent have one, run! A good shop will have the
right staff, so ask around. Well trained boot fitters are worth their
weight in gold, they should ask you your height, weight, age, athletic
ability, how much do you ski, and where do you ski. These questions
help him/her evaluate your aggressiveness, skill set, etc. He/she
should have some familiarity of foot/ankle/leg anatomy to be familiar
with your specific foot type and match it to the correct boot.
Good luck

Old February 24th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

VtSkier wrote:

down_hill wrote:

[...]

If I knew and remembered every thing I would not bother to ask, but
sometimes good information gets lost in the noise. Back when skates had
leather inside a method was to use hot water to get leather to form
better about foot
If I wear thin skating socks I get pressure points and burning when I
wear them about house. Yesterday I wore my regular skiing socks and no
burning or pressure points. They felt good when I skied, no pain no
discomfort. The real big issue is getting them on it is almost as
difficult as the time I had to remove boots after I fractured my tibia
plateau.
I bought them from a shop near Mt Snow where I was fitted and tried a
few different pairs. My second choice was a atomic cs100 but the boot
felt too padded and soft, so I went for the more uncomfortable and
stiffer boot.
I just spoke to the bootfitter and a suggestion was to put liner on foot
first and see if it became easier. Heading back to mt snow in a week but
I was thinking of going to a training session on tuesday in Ct. I was
trying to cut down on the hopping dance I have to do to get foot in boot.

michael