Rollerski Selection Advice

Old April 21st 05, 01:27 AM
Jim Howe Jim Howe is offline
Junior Member

Default Rollerski Selection Advice

Hello,

My two y/o homemade rollerskis suffered catastophic failure last week. One rear fork sheared off while skiing downhill, sending me into a ditch. Failure probably resulted in my weight (195lbs) and my use of a stem turn to control my speed on downhills.

So, I will probaly break down and buy a pair of commercial rollerskis. I'm looking for both a classic and a skate rollerski, and i'm not very interested in a combi model. I'm leaning toward purchasing Marwe or Swenor.

I'm impressed with the Swenor carbon fiber classic model, but I cannot locate a Swenor importer. Can you purchase these rollerskis direct from Finland? This carbon fiber rollerski got strong reviews from a group of elite Italian racers.

http://www.skiroll.it/TEST/training-...xamination.htm

The Marwe LT? 610 was not rated as well as other rollersis tested by this same Italian group. However, I have heard nothing but outstanding comments from people who have skied the Marwe classic. Any comments regarding the 610 would be appreciated.

Jim
Old April 21st 05, 06:54 AM

http://tinyurl.com/759fs

Curious that the Swenor carbon fibers got 7.5 in weight evaluation
column. Unless they have changed dramatically, they are very heavy.
They are very comfortable but heavy. Check this point out before buying.

Old April 21st 05, 07:41 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

A couple of thoughts, from the FWIW dept...

1. I would suggest sticking to a ski that you CAN easily find a
dealer for. After you buy them you may want to purchase parts
for them later. This will be much easier with a dealer.

2. Given your weight and that you are skiing hills that require
controlling your speed, you might want to consider a ski that you
can get with speed reducers. I live in an area with big hills
that are fun to train on but that I'd be way out of control
descending without speed reducers, hence most of my rollerskis
have them. I'm by no means up to date on the current market, but
my understanding is this includes (at least) several models of V2
and one model of Proski. I'm sure others will jump in here to
mention any others that exist.

-Mitch

Old April 21st 05, 10:42 AM
Marc Glass

Jim,

Couldn't agree more with Mitch's advice about using rollerskis with a
proven speed reducer/brake. I've been on a pair of V2 Aero 150s with
the "universal brake" -- a bombproof combination so far. The pneumatic
wheels smoothly roll over small stones and cracks (critical for road
conditions in rural Maine), and the brake allows me to take on hills
that really get the ticker going. If you're going this route, do also
consider getting the Fox shock pump from V2 to keep the tires inflated.
Checking air pressure before every session is a three-minute task that
keeps the ride smooth and prolongs tire life. I skate on the V2s and
cannot attest for what the classic ride would be like.

--
Jim Howe

Old April 21st 05, 12:16 PM
FITZGERALD

I think you may be a bit heavy for the Marwe 610. The 100 may be a better
choice.I love my Marwes.
Fitzgerald

Old April 21st 05, 04:42 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

The 100 is a 610 with an aluminum shaft. It's lighter but a little less
shock abosorbent. The same applies to the difference between Marwe
combis (with the wire wheel for classic) and their Classic model. I'm
6'2.5", ~175-180, and like the former for classic because that wire
wheel makes it the longest ski on the US market (and an alternative pair
to skate on). Also, check out Eagle at nordicskater.com and
rollerskishop.com, and Elpex at Gear West and others. Both are
apparently very good. Reliable Racing carries Swenor. Jay T swears by
their air carbon shaft for ride, but at your weight the reinforced
fiberglass cap model is the one. I've never heard a regular user report
about Swenor skates. I'd take that Italian survey very carefully. The
610 was a completely different type than the others and wasn't
appropriate for what and where they were testing. Since then, the
market has gravitated toward 610 like models, including Pro-Ski (also
good for both skate and classical).

It's early yet and worth taking your time making a decision. I've still
got Jenex 930Ks, Aero 125s, and NordiXC 150s in storage that I haven't
used in three years in the Twin Cities, where there are hills. I got
tired of all the hassles with the Aeros, found the 930Ks a touch short
for a tall person, and don't like heavy rollerskis (Torbjorn Karlsen
argues that pneumatic wheels aren't good simulation). But they do have
brakes or speed reducers and, depending where you ski and what your
comfort level is, might be the ticket. I'm no daredevil and don't like
longer steeper descents, but have been able to adjust terrain and live
with the Marwes.

Gene

Old April 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
Polar Bear

Don't let your weight be a concern with the 610 skates. I am currently
in the 200+ category and have not had any problems with my Marwe.

Old April 23rd 05, 12:40 AM
Marsh Jones

Polar Bear wrote:
Don't let your weight be a concern with the 610 skates. I am currently
in the 200+ category and have not had any problems with my Marwe.

Not the point. *Marwe* recommends not using the 610s if you weigh over
about 80Kg. The 100s are every bit as good as the 610s. Pick the right
pair for your size.

Marsh
Old April 23rd 05, 04:06 AM
David L. Webb

In article ,
Jim Howe wrote:

Hello,

My two y/o homemade rollerskis suffered catastophic failure last week.
One rear fork sheared off while skiing downhill, sending me into a
ditch. Failure probably resulted in my weight (195lbs) and my use of a
stem turn to control my speed on downhills.

So, I will probaly break down and buy a pair of commercial rollerskis.
I'm looking for both a classic and a skate rollerski, and i'm not very
interested in a combi model. I'm leaning toward purchasing Marwe or
Swenor.

I'm impressed with the Swenor carbon fiber classic model, but I cannot
locate a Swenor importer. Can you purchase these rollerskis direct from
Finland? This carbon fiber rollerski got strong reviews from a group of
elite Italian racers.

I had (and still have) an old pair of these, and they are pretty nice
(although to my mind a little too fast for classic). However, the big
problem was getting replacement wheels -- the skis used to be imported
into the U.S. only by Reliable Racing, and Reliable Racing was *very*
unreliable about keeping parts in stock: when I needed a pair of new
wheels, I tried to order them, but I was told that Reliable Racing only
had one wheel left, and that they would not be ordering any more from
Finland for another six months! This was near the beginning of the
rollerski season, too. I began to appreciate why some of my fellow
skiers routinely referred to the outlet as Reliable Ripoff, and began
looking around for another brand of rollerski. I would caution you
about trying to order skis not carried by a *dependable* importer
because of the replacement parts problem. Also, it's worth pointing out
that some other brands (e.g., Jenex and Proski) have speed reducers
and/or brakes, which can make some very hilly terrain safely skiable.
I'm not sure what the gold standard in classic rollerskis is now, but
both Proski and the Jenex V2 900 series are excellent classic
rollerskis. The same goes for several other brands that I have tried
but with which I have less experience; indeed, the only real advantage
of the Swenors was that had a slightly smoother ride than some of the
aluminum-shaft skis, but the sensation that the skis could handle
rougher pavement is deceptive, since the small-diameter wheels don't
roll over cracks, sticks, etc. as well as some of the other brands.

http://tinyurl.com/759fs