V2 900 series classic rollerskis

Old June 22nd 04, 04:10 PM
temporary lull

Default V2 900 series classic rollerskis

Hello Skiers,

I am considering buying V2 900 series classic
rollerskis. I hear that the front-ratcheted classic
skis are less likely to promote a late kick (is this
because you need to be positioned forward on the ski
to get the mechanism to engage?) The Jenex website
claims that elite skiers like the 910s as they provide
more resistance - I thought I'd go for either the 920s
or 930s as my classic technique is far from elite. The
idea of adding a brake is appealing to me. But the V2
brake system looks funny (not only because of the old
school tights on the leg in the display picture!) --
the system just looks like it might stop you too fast
and cause a big endo. I'd love to hear opinions from
folks who have used these skis, with or without the
brakes or speed reducers.

Thanks much!

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Old June 22nd 04, 05:42 PM
Rob Bradlee

--- temporary lull wrote:
Hello Skiers,

I am considering buying V2 900 series classic
rollerskis. I hear that the front-ratcheted classic
skis are less likely to promote a late kick (is this
because you need to be positioned forward on the ski
to get the mechanism to engage?) The Jenex website

It will help a little, but you can still have a bad late kick even with
it in front (except uphill on wet pavement).

claims that elite skiers like the 910s as they provide
more resistance - I thought I'd go for either the 920s
or 930s as my classic technique is far from elite. The

It's not that the 910 requires better technique - it allows better
technique because you have more realistic resistance - more like snow.
I'd say to get the 910.

idea of adding a brake is appealing to me. But the V2
brake system looks funny (not only because of the old
school tights on the leg in the display picture!) --
the system just looks like it might stop you too fast
and cause a big endo. I'd love to hear opinions from
folks who have used these skis, with or without the
brakes or speed reducers.

There are 4 settings on the speed reducers. If you jam them up to 4
you will do an endo, but if you go one notch at a time you will be
fine. You have to plan ahead to set them on. Don't wait till you're
out of control.

Rob Bradlee

Old June 22nd 04, 10:00 PM
Eric Shmo Chandler

I got a pair of 910's for classic skiing. When the wheels finally wore
out (I got the skis 11 years ago), I bought a pair of 920 replacement
wheels. The 910's were a little much for me.

Everybody always talks about building bad habits for how you kick, but
I mostly just DP on my classic skis anyway, with some kick DP thrown
in. I think it would be hard to build bad habits on just kick DP. I
would say I only stride about 5% of the time max.

Anyway, Len at Jenex was really helpful when I switched up to the new
wheels.

Shmo
PS Please note I'm no elite guy either.
Old June 23rd 04, 02:38 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

If you have to ask here, then the 910s are probably not for you, no
matter what anyone (who should know better) says. They are a straight
path to discouragement, if not injury, unless you are a top flight
strong skier. I suggest starting with 930s, maybe the 920s if you are
well experienced and good technically. There's plenty of flexibility in
the speed reducer system if you find the 930s a little quick (you didn't
state your experience/skill level). In any event, at first the new
wheels will be relatively slow. Forget the brakes, since properly set
speed reducers can make it easy to slow/stop on any hill. Learning to
get off the ski quickly is the key to diagonal striding with them.
Otherwise, focus on double pole and kick double pole, i.e., upper body
strength and timing.

Gene

Old June 23rd 04, 02:53 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Rob Bradlee wrote:

--- temporary lull wrote:

claims that elite skiers like the 910s as they provide
more resistance - I thought I'd go for either the 920s
or 930s as my classic technique is far from elite. The

It's not that the 910 requires better technique - it allows better
technique because you have more realistic resistance - more like snow.
I'd say to get the 910.

I agree with Rob. And for the same reason. You want classic skis to
be slow, otherwise all you can do is double pole. I have the 910's,
too. They're great classic skis. Hoping to start using them again soon,
now that my wrist is out of the cast and the PT is starting to get me
some strength back. Range-of-motion is another thing entirely. Looks
like that will take a long time and will probably only ever get 1/2 to
3/4 of it back.

idea of adding a brake is appealing to me. But the V2
brake system looks funny (not only because of the old
school tights on the leg in the display picture!) --
the system just looks like it might stop you too fast
and cause a big endo. I'd love to hear opinions from
folks who have used these skis, with or without the
brakes or speed reducers.

There are 4 settings on the speed reducers. If you jam them up to 4
you will do an endo, but if you go one notch at a time you will be
fine. You have to plan ahead to set them on. Don't wait till you're
out of control.

Right. start clicking them in as soon as you crest the hill. Don't
wait until you've already reached the speed at which you feel the
need to slow down.

Rob Bradlee

-Mitch

Old July 3rd 04, 01:15 AM
John Roden

Well, you asked about brakes and everyone is telling you about speed
reducers. I also have the brakes on my combis (in addition to speed
reducers) because roller skis at 10 mph scare me more than a pack of
bicycles at 55 in the rain, go figure. Anyways, the brakes are quite
grabby and have crappy modulation, but they will stop you. They are
better at slow speed, a little frightful at higher speeds.

Old July 3rd 04, 02:13 AM
Gary Jacobson

Do you have the new brake, or the old cable activated brake?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old July 3rd 04, 11:22 AM
John Roden

I didn't know there was a new one, mine must be the old, it uses a
cable around the leg that pulls a lever

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message ...
Do you have the new brake, or the old cable activated brake?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old July 3rd 04, 01:01 PM
Gary Jacobson

Yes, tough to modulate that one. I
See www.jenex.com for new ankle activated version.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"John Roden" wrote in message
om...
I didn't know there was a new one, mine must be the old, it uses a
cable around the leg that pulls a lever

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message

Do you have the new brake, or the old cable activated brake?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old July 4th 04, 11:00 PM
John Roden

No, that's the one I have also (I looked at the picture on the web
site you provided), it attaches to the calf with a little cuff and has
a cable that runs down to the brake. It kind of sucks, but it's
better than nothing.
\
"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message ...
Yes, tough to modulate that one. I
See www.jenex.com for new ankle activated version.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"John Roden" wrote in message
om...
I didn't know there was a new one, mine must be the old, it uses a
cable around the leg that pulls a lever

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message

Do you have the new brake, or the old cable activated brake?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...