Giants Ridge Training Center - Minnecentric topic

Old March 14th 04, 02:17 AM
Marsh Jones

Default Giants Ridge Training Center - Minnecentric topic

For the past 6 or so years, since I moved to MN, I've been going to
Giants Ridge to ski as often as I could. We've always been welcome to
'set up camp' in the training center lobby whether you stayed in the
dorm or not. Imagine my surprise upon arriving this morning with my
boys and finding out that the whole training center was 'closed' to
anyone not staying there this weekend.

Needless to say, I was a bit P.O.'d. Jeff's attitude was "that's the
way it is". No notice, no explanation, no communication to the
community, no anything. I didn't get a chance to talk to Filander about
it, but I'm curious if this is going to become a pattern. If it is, we
(the XC community) will have to figure something else out for day
journeys. OTOH, it will make training trips a lot less hectic when
going up with the HS Team.

BTW, the skiing was great until it started with the freezing rain about
2:00. I was at the top of Bronze and decided not to re-wax, just DP
home. Skied Silver, Gold, part of Cedar, and Summit/Bronze today.
Probably the last ski of the season except maybe an evening at Elm Crick.

Marsh Jones
Old March 22nd 04, 04:25 PM

Hi Marsh,

Good to meet you up at the Ridge. I've heard the Training Center
closure was a one-time deal. Apparently some group rented out the
whole thing and wanted exclusive access. I agree that the Training
Center is a much nicer place to hang out than the main lodge.

In my dreams, they will build a new x-c lodge up at the top of the
golf course to solve the two main problems with skiing at the Ridge:
1) sharing a stadium area with the downhillers and 2) -5000F windchills
when skiing up the golf course at the beginning/end of every ski.

Cheers,
Brian