Fischer Zeros Atomic Multi

Old March 13th 06, 04:24 PM

Default Fischer Zeros Atomic Multi

Anyone have enough experience with Zeros and Multis to have an opinion
comparing the two? Salesman tells me that the Atomics have a wider
effective range. I have never given waxless skiis much thought until I
saw a New England girl using zeros stride right pass the leading
Alaskan (who was working hard to make her skiis kick) in a classic mass
start last week in Houghton.

Old March 13th 06, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the information and congratulations to you and the New
England team on a great week. I did happen to notice that many of the
New England team had Engineered Tuning stickers on their skis.

Roger

Old March 14th 06, 12:37 PM

Yeah, we reground about half the skis for the team right before JOs.
Mostly it's just a case of getting decent base material and flat skis
so that we can work on them. We ranmostly cold grinds and everything
got a lot of hand structure. So it wasn't the grinds running well, so
much as having decent bases to work with. Big difference there!

Old March 14th 06, 07:55 PM

On 14 Mar 2006 05:37:59 -0800, "Zach Caldwell" wrote:

Yeah, we reground about half the skis for the team right before JOs.
Mostly it's just a case of getting decent base material and flat skis
so that we can work on them. We ranmostly cold grinds and everything
got a lot of hand structure.

I'm curious about whether or not most/all of your stonegrinds can do
OK with some hand structure, such as from the Toko Structurite over
them. I think I'm going to get one of your colder grinds (Z40 or Z1
or whatever you come up decide on as best all-around cold) on some
skis this summer/fall but don't have a lot of skis and would want to
pick the grind that also does OK when modified for more moisture.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old March 14th 06, 08:49 PM

Yeah, in fact I've been working on a crib-sheet with suggested hand
structure modifications for each grind. For instance, a Z40 or a ZR1
can be modified significantly by a rolling crossing structure like you
get from the structurite, while an LJ03 will not even feel it. But and
LJ03 can be made into a really good slush grind with the addition of a
0.75mm linear rill which would obliterate a ZR1... That's on my list of
resources to add to the website. ALL grinds can be successfully
handstructured, but they all respond differently to different
treatments.

Old March 14th 06, 09:01 PM

I ran or tested the ZR1 in marathons the last three weekends. First the
Birkie, then Sibley marathon (+2 at start, +18 at finish, sunny, hard pack)
and Bear Chase (+45, didn't race, got sick...) The ZR1 was faster or equal
to everyone I was with in the 0 to +18 range.
The ZR1 has a very fine grind with some light 'channels' in it. Personally,
I will not be taking a structure tool to such a delicate grind, most likely
it would destroy the advantages. I'd rather have another pair of skis
available ground for +15 to +25 conditions.
Seems most people over rill their skis.
Zach's ski fitting knowledge and grinds are very impressive.

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC
Engineering, Construction and Information Technology Services
FSx - Fischer / Swix Racing

news