Skiing Whistler - Horstman on July 31st - Update

Old September 29th 03, 05:11 PM
brenda

Default Skiing Whistler - Horstman on July 31st - Update

Been meaning to post this for awhile... Decided to go for it & after
very quickly renting equipment (definitely no lines), waited for the
1st 11am lift up. Met a guy who had a bet on with buddies that he
could ski every month this year & was finishing up his last two months
here on July 31st & Aug. 1st (had only left the country once to Chile
to ski & keep the record going). 131st day this year on the slopes...
I was very jealous. Ended up skiing together & had a hoot - Rode two
lifts, then took an old beat-up bus & then another lift to the top.
Gorgeous views, of course & could ski down to 2 rope tows. The kids
on snowboards were doing tricks off the left side, which had a mogul
field & all kinds of jumps set up & the right side was just a wide
open beautiful ski field. Slush at the top & at the bottom, but
inbetween, just great carving snow - I was amazed! Only problem
encountered it that ski shop guy had talked me into really short skis
to cope with 'all the water & slush' he said I would encounter (not
true) & I fell backwards twice in the most bizarre places - basically
while stopped. Scraped up my elbow a bit & teeny scrapes turned into
red welts - now still strange bumps - wonder what they put on that
snow to keep it skiable... Great burgers up the Grillhouse on top &
all the hikers were looking a little jealous of us skiing.

Anyway, a fantastic day - I skiied while my husband golfed - both of
us totally happy... Would recommend this to anyone up there during
the summer - don't be put off by naysayers - it's really a kick & a
great way to spend the day in July!