A couple of questions about Bourg St Maurice

Old February 16th 07, 08:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default A couple of questions about Bourg St Maurice

Hi

We're off to BSM tomorrow - for the first time staying there rather
than in resort - and skiing in Paradski so have a few questions.

1. Is there any snow in BSM (town) at the moment ? If not, I'll not
bother packing my hiking boots.

2. Where's a good place to hire skis from (We're staying at the Petit
St Bernard so will they arrange it?)

3. We have the new auto lift pass things from last year - it is easy
to recharge them there or should I do it today online ? ( I'm a bit
wary of this!!?)

4. We're skiing on the check out day and getting the night train home
- I'm sure the hotel will hold out stuff for the day but if not, is
there left-luggage at the train station?

5. Any other tips for staying in BSM such as alternative transport
to / from slopes, good places to go in the evening etc.

Many thanks

RH

Old February 16th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 16 Feb 2007 01:34:53 -0800, wrote:

Hi

We're off to BSM tomorrow - for the first time staying there rather
than in resort - and skiing in Paradski so have a few questions.

1. Is there any snow in BSM (town) at the moment ? If not, I'll not
bother packing my hiking boots.

I wouldn't think it likely, but some of the more local folk may be
able to give you a definitive answer.

2. Where's a good place to hire skis from (We're staying at the Petit
St Bernard so will they arrange it?)

I don't think they normally arrange it, but there's a decent place at
the bottom of the funiculaire that I've used a couple of times.

3. We have the new auto lift pass things from last year - it is easy
to recharge them there or should I do it today online ? ( I'm a bit
wary of this!!?)

Not sure exactly how it works now, but staying in the village, or at
least at the PSB, used to entitle you to a 15% discount off the lift
pass. The hotel would give you a voucher to take to the lift pass
office. Be worth checking with the hotel before buying.

4. We're skiing on the check out day and getting the night train home
- I'm sure the hotel will hold out stuff for the day but if not, is
there left-luggage at the train station?

I believe so, but there's no need, as the hotel will definitely let
you leave your bags there.

5. Any other tips for staying in BSM such as alternative transport
to / from slopes,

It's a ~10 minute walk from the hotel to the funiculaire, and I
confess that we often used to drive there to save the walk. Parking at
the lift was never a problem. If you do have a car you might like to
consider driving to La Plagne if you want to ski all day there, as it
takes quite a while to get across les Arcs to the Vanoise express lift
over. Takes about 20 minutes from BSM to Montchavin, or perhaps 45
mins if you want to go to Plagne 1800.

good places to go in the evening etc.

IME there's not a lot of nightlife, but some of the bars are OK. I
presume you'll be half-board? I was always very impressed with the
cokoing at the PSB and have often recommended it to friends on that
basis. Fairly cheap too, or at least it used to be.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
Old February 16th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

On Feb 16, 11:27 am, Ace wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ace, that's really useful.

We're going on the Eurostar so won't have a car. We are half board so
don't need much in the way of nightlife really. I'll take you advice
and check with the hotel prior to booking anything.

Thanks again!

Old February 16th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi
|
| We're off to BSM tomorrow - for the first time staying there rather
| than in resort - and skiing in Paradski so have a few questions.
|
| 1. Is there any snow in BSM (town) at the moment ? If not, I'll not
| bother packing my hiking boots.

Not even close, and there won't be any down this low over the next
week - the next snow is forecast middle of next week, with a snowline of
around 1600m (BSM is at 830m).

| 2. Where's a good place to hire skis from (We're staying at the Petit
| St Bernard so will they arrange it?)

If you book from Polaire Star in advance (the place Ace referred to by
the funi) you can get a 10% discount. Ask for Gordon, Rosie or Steve.
Definitely worth booking in advance, this is the busiest period and they
are packed out at the start of the day. That way your gear is set aside
for you.

Info about Polaire Star, costs etc -
http://mysnowsports.com/Content/pid=34.html

Booking form - http://scla.alpesprovence.net/contactpolaire.htm

The good thing about Polaire Star is that when you book your equipment
from them, you get free overnight storage, so you can leave it there and
pick it up the next morning.

| 3. We have the new auto lift pass things from last year - it is easy
| to recharge them there or should I do it today online ? ( I'm a bit
| wary of this!!?)

Don't think you can get the discounts any more (except for large group
bookings). You could ask Monique Jean at the Petit St Bernard, but I
doubt it.

No idea how the recharge works, but if it does it's worth it cos you get
some lengthy queues at the start of the busiest period at the funicular
lift pass office, myriads of French arriving this weekend.

| 4. We're skiing on the check out day and getting the night train home
| - I'm sure the hotel will hold out stuff for the day but if not, is
| there left-luggage at the train station?

Monique will hardly throw your gear out into the street!

| 5. Any other tips for staying in BSM such as alternative transport
| to / from slopes, good places to go in the evening etc.

The funicular the best (only) way to the slopes, short of driving up.
Loads of good value restaurants - what sort of food do you like? Not
much night life - the Bazoum bar opposite the station opens pretty late.

If you have a spare day, it's a 10/15 minute drive to the bottom of the
Ecudets lift, part of the La Rosiere domain. Good snow there at the
moment. Gives you the option of skiing across into Italy (La Thuile)

Can get 10% reductions in cost of group ski lessons via
http://mysnowsports.com - from Arc Aventures or the ESF at Arc 1800

By the way, during the week the last funicular back down to BSM is 8 pm,
on Friday and Satuday it's 9 pm...

Pete

Old February 16th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 16 Feb, 09:34, wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger,

Not been down there for a couple of weeks, but it's been very warm
here (Tignes) the last couple of days, so I imagine the snow's mostly
melted. No-one seems to agree on when and how low the next snow is,
but possibly midweek and down to 1500M. If you've got the space, slush-
proof footwear might be welcome this time next week. PG probably has a
better view of this if he's reading today.

Bazoom bar, opposite the station and run by the same guys that have
the shop in Tignes, is a popular spot - I hate the plastic furniture
but I've had some good food there and apparently it 'really went off'
this time last year when everyone was stranded in Bourg for the night.
I've heard of people leaving bags here whilst they're waiting for
their train but probably because they know the barmaid and not
something I'd recommend - as Ace says, the hotel should oblige. Other
bars and restaurants I'm not sure about but it's a small place -
wander up and down the pedestrianised bit and see what looks popular I
would.

Have fun - good snow at the moment but everything seemed to get
tracked out by about 10am yesterday!

Matt

Old February 16th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"pg" wrote in message
> [...]
|
| Monique will hardly throw your gear out into the street!
|
|| 5. Any other tips for staying in BSM such as alternative transport
|| to / from slopes, good places to go in the evening etc.
|
| The funicular the best (only) way to the slopes, short of driving up.
| Loads of good value restaurants - what sort of food do you like? Not
| much night life - the Bazoum bar opposite the station opens pretty
late.

| If you have a spare day, it's a 10/15 minute drive to the bottom of
the
| Ecudets lift, part of the La Rosiere domain. Good snow there at the
| moment. Gives you the option of skiing across into Italy (La Thuile)
|
| Can get 10% reductions in cost of group ski lessons via
| http://mysnowsports.com - from Arc Aventures or the ESF at Arc 1800
|
| By the way, during the week the last funicular back down to BSM is 8

One other thing - a tip for the end of the day - the funicular runs
every 20 mins (though they sometimes add a supplemental). On the hour,
twenty past, twenty to (in both directions). So from 4pm to 5pm this is
the busiest time, and these funiculars are absolutely packed. If you're
aiming to get on, say, the 4pm, don't turn up at five to - it's almost
impossible.

As Ace says, it's not easy to get across from this end of Paradiski to
the La Plagne side, especially with the queues you'll come across over
the coming week. If you're really determined to ski in La Plagne I would
drive across as Ace suggests.

Skiing suggestions...

You'll find big queues at the bottleneck lifts at 1800 (Varet), the new
Arcabulle at Arc 2000, the Transarc gondolas, and a few others. If it's
a sunny day which means the hordes will be out, and you happen to have a
car, I would consider driving up to park in the free car park at the
bottom of the 1950/2000 domain, at the Pre St Esprit. From here the is a
little known run, the Rhonaz blue (it's not even marked) opposite the
Comborciere lift (across on the other side of the road). It includes a
short and easy draglift, then you ski on into the Villaroger sector.
Assuming decent snow (ie low down) Villaroger is the place to ski during
Feb half term, the crowds don't seem to find their way across to this
end of the ski area. The Solliet mountain restaurant on this side is
pretty good - new owners this season, but keeping up the standard.
Otherwise if snow conditions permit, it's worth skiing right down to
Villaroger at 1100m. In the authentic old village, there's an excellent
restaurant, La Ferme.

Depending on how good skiers you are, another possibility is to take the
Mont Blanc chair from Arc 1600 (from near the top funicular station). If
it's cold and there's some decent powder, at the top of the lift you can
double back through the Mont Blanc forest. Some great tree skiing, in
the right conditions.

During Feb holidays I always make sure I'm on the first lift (9.15 am)
for an hour or so of relatively uncrowded slopes, then again between 12
and 2 (it's French half-term, lunch is still sacrosanct). The last hour
of the day is relatively quiet too.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old February 16th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:51:06 +0100, "pg"
wrote:

If it's
a sunny day which means the hordes will be out, and you happen to have a
car, I would consider driving up to park in the free car park at the
bottom of the 1950/2000 domain, at the Pre St Esprit. From here the is a
little known run, the Rhonaz blue (it's not even marked) opposite the
Comborciere lift (across on the other side of the road). It includes a
short and easy draglift, then you ski on into the Villaroger sector.

Good tip there. Never done that myself but I'll bear it in mind next
time we're down your way.

Assuming decent snow (ie low down) Villaroger is the place to ski during
Feb half term, the crowds don't seem to find their way across to this
end of the ski area.

Yes, I'd certainly agree here - many of the slopes on that side are
also much less rocky than other parts, so even with less than perfect
snow coverage ski damage is generally avoidable.

The Solliet mountain restaurant on this side is
pretty good - new owners this season, but keeping up the standard.

Do they still dish out free Genepies at the end of the day? Have
stayed down in VR a few times, and it was always nice to stop there on
the way down for a wee slurp.

Otherwise if snow conditions permit, it's worth skiing right down to
Villaroger at 1100m. In the authentic old village, there's an excellent
restaurant, La Ferme.

Happy days. Many's the pint of Mützig Old Lager I've downed in there.
And yes, their food is well above average.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 16th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:51:06 +0100, "pg"
| wrote:
|
| The Solliet mountain restaurant on this side is
| pretty good - new owners this season, but keeping up the standard.
|
| Do they still dish out free Genepies at the end of the day? Have
| stayed down in VR a few times, and it was always nice to stop there on
| the way down for a wee slurp.

Henri's gone, along with the Genepi :-(
Still the new owners, after a desperately poor start to the season, are
more than anxious to please, I'll suggest it next time I'm there...

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old February 16th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

On Feb 16, 12:23 pm, "pg" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...
| Hi
|
| We're off to BSM tomorrow - for the first time staying there rather
| than in resort - and skiing in Paradski so have a few questions.
|
| 1. Is there any snow in BSM (town) at the moment ? If not, I'll not
| bother packing my hiking boots.

Not even close, and there won't be any down this low over the next
week - the next snow is forecast middle of next week, with a snowline of
around 1600m (BSM is at 830m).

| 2. Where's a good place to hire skis from (We're staying at the Petit
| St Bernard so will they arrange it?)

If you book from Polaire Star in advance (the place Ace referred to by
the funi) you can get a 10% discount. Ask for Gordon, Rosie or Steve.
Definitely worth booking in advance, this is the busiest period and they
are packed out at the start of the day. That way your gear is set aside
for you.

Info about Polaire Star, costs etc -http://mysnowsports.com/Content/pid=34.html

Booking form -http://scla.alpesprovence.net/contactpolaire.htm

The good thing about Polaire Star is that when you book your equipment
from them, you get free overnight storage, so you can leave it there and
pick it up the next morning.

| 3. We have the new auto lift pass things from last year - it is easy
| to recharge them there or should I do it today online ? ( I'm a bit
| wary of this!!?)

Don't think you can get the discounts any more (except for large group
bookings). You could ask Monique Jean at the Petit St Bernard, but I
doubt it.

No idea how the recharge works, but if it does it's worth it cos you get
some lengthy queues at the start of the busiest period at the funicular
lift pass office, myriads of French arriving this weekend.

| 4. We're skiing on the check out day and getting the night train home
| - I'm sure the hotel will hold out stuff for the day but if not, is
| there left-luggage at the train station?

Monique will hardly throw your gear out into the street!

| 5. Any other tips for staying in BSM such as alternative transport
| to / from slopes, good places to go in the evening etc.

The funicular the best (only) way to the slopes, short of driving up.
Loads of good value restaurants - what sort of food do you like? Not
much night life - the Bazoum bar opposite the station opens pretty late.

If you have a spare day, it's a 10/15 minute drive to the bottom of the
Ecudets lift, part of the La Rosiere domain. Good snow there at the
moment. Gives you the option of skiing across into Italy (La Thuile)

Can get 10% reductions in cost of group ski lessons viahttp://mysnowsports.com- from Arc Aventures or the ESF at Arc 1800

By the way, during the week the last funicular back down to BSM is 8 pm,
on Friday and Satuday it's 9 pm...

Pete

Thanks Pete you're a star! I've fired off a booking to Polaire Star
guys and as we only want skis have asked if we can get them tomorrow
night to avoid the queues Sunday morning. If we have to queue for a
lift pass then so be it - we have 7 days out there so a little wait
won't hurt. My wife now has her own ski boots which will really speed
things up as I normally have a very frustrating hour long wait while
she tries on loads which eats into good ski time!

I appreciate it'll be busy but we always go half term (wife's a
teacher) so are used to it.

We don't have a car so am wondering whether or not it worth getting a
Paradiski pass or just one for Les Arcs? We are good / fast skiers but
it does look a long way over to La Plagne. We stayed in Peisy last
year so was a different matter from there - what do you reckon?

thanks again

Roger

Old February 16th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

wrote in message
ups.com...
| On Feb 16, 12:23 pm, "pg" wrote:
| wrote in message
|
|| We don't have a car so am wondering whether or not it worth getting a
| Paradiski pass or just one for Les Arcs? We are good / fast skiers but
| it does look a long way over to La Plagne. We stayed in Peisy last
| year so was a different matter from there - what do you reckon?

Well if you're fast skiers - and there are no queues - it takes about
35/40 minutes to get to the Vanoise Express from the top of the
funicular. Two lifts needed, the Cachette (you can get to Vallandry in
one go from there, but no further, so you would need to take the
Vallandry or Grizzly... or if you end up down in 1800, the Charmettoger
lift is usually quieter than Vagere - right at the far end of 1800...).

There's an alternative to the full Paradiski pass - the Paradiski
'Discovery' (Découverte) (minimum 6 days). That's a Les Arcs pass with
one day over in La Plagne. It also gives you the possibility of another
one of your six/seven days in Espace Killy, or the 3 Valleys. You have
to get the Espace Killy/3 Valleys voucher from a Les Arcs lift office
the day before you go if you use this option).

Without a car the Three Valleys isn't really on - train to Moutiers,
then a bus, so hassle. But it's easy to get to Tignes. In the train
station, two minutes' walk from your hotel, there's the Autocars Martin
coach office - it's 16.50 euros pp return to Tignes, coach takes an hour
(35 minutes by car), the booking office is open about half an hour
before the first coach at 8am ... I say about, depends if the wife gets
up in time ;-) No point getting the tickets the night before, she
reckons.

Worth considering - gives you five days in Les Arcs, one in Tignes/Val,
one in La Plagne...

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com