Jackson Hole Tram to be retired

Old July 5th 05, 08:18 PM
TexasSkiNut

Default Jackson Hole Tram to be retired

http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/jhpressreleases/jhpressreleases.062405.release.asp

Wow. This will really shake up how the mountain skis. I wonder how
long it'll be before they figure out how to replace it.

Old July 5th 05, 08:21 PM
lal_truckee

TexasSkiNut wrote:
http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/jhpressreleases/jhpressreleases.062405.release.asp

Wow. This will really shake up how the mountain skis. I wonder how
long it'll be before they figure out how to replace it.

Yeah. Get yer t-shirt during 2005-6 season.

Doubt if they replace it with kind - probably a miserable 4-pack chair
that won't run when there's the slightest breeze.
Old July 5th 05, 09:17 PM
Sam Seiber

lal_truckee wrote:

TexasSkiNut wrote:
http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/jhpressreleases/jhpressreleases.062405.release.asp

Wow. This will really shake up how the mountain skis. I wonder how
long it'll be before they figure out how to replace it.

Yeah. Get yer t-shirt during 2005-6 season.

Doubt if they replace it with kind - probably a miserable 4-pack chair
that won't run when there's the slightest breeze.

From the link above:

Tram Facts and Specifications:

ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION TIME 26 Months (May 1964 - July 1966)
MAIDEN VOYAGE July 31, 1966
TYPE OF LIFT Double reversible, or jig-back, tram
LENGTH 12,600 ft / 3,840 m (Slope); 11,895 ft / 3,626 m (Horizontal)
VERTICAL RISE 4,139 ft / 1,262 m
CARRIER TYPE Enclosed cabin by Swoboda of Austria; New Swoboda; Cabins
installed December 1989
CABIN CAPACITY 52 (Winter) - 45 (Summer)

So, if it is winter, and you have a lot of extra cloths on, and packing
something
to ride that snow on, they can get MORE people on than in the summer,
when it is T-shirt
and shorts weather? Scratches head. I have ridden the thing in both
seasons.
Maybe they get less on in the summer because the line to ride isn't as
long.
Still, I did get a little giggle out of that stat. I do recall the
winter rides
to be plenty snug. Don't need anything to hold on to, it is impossible
to tip over.

Sam "Hey, sub 17 weeks to the Loveland opening" Seiber
Old July 7th 05, 05:39 PM
Jeff Davis

In article .com,
TexasSkiNut wrote:

Wow. This will really shake up how the mountain skis. I wonder how
long it'll be before they figure out how to replace it.

The old Rendevous Bowl Chair will be reassembled. It's stacked at the
bottom of the bowl. No more skiing with nothing but Power Stretch and
a knee brace under my Mtn Hardwear shell. And that backcountry pack
keeps ya on the edge of your seat...
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old July 7th 05, 05:44 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Sam Seiber wrote:

Maybe they get less on in the summer because the line to ride isn't as
long.

I run up the hill. The ride down is free. The only time we ride up in
the summer is when were launching a Teton Crest Trail run. It's a long
marathon length to the Jenny Lake Ranger Station. Hurricane Pass is 11K+.
It's a nice conditioning jog for powder skiers in the off season.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old July 7th 05, 05:46 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Sven Golly wrote:

I think it's because they use perimeter seats in summer and nothing in
winter.

It's because they run trams off the summit less frequently. It's hard to get
45 people standing around waiting for a box to show up at the dock.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old July 11th 05, 01:37 AM
Dan

Is this the tram that takes skiers to the summit? If so, how will they
get there now?
Old July 11th 05, 11:44 AM
ant

Dan wrote:
Is this the tram that takes skiers to the summit? If so, how will
they get there now?

Special donkeys.

--
ant

Old July 11th 05, 12:26 PM
pigo

"Sven Golly" wrote in message

Based on what I'm reading, this sounds like an attempt by the
Kemmerer's to
hold the taxpayers hostage for a publicly funded replacement.

Or are the taxpayers holding the Kemmerers hostage by making them run
and maintain a major source of tax income? It goes both ways.

The engineers & safety experts say the tram has several more years
of safe
life ahead.

Would they be the ones paying the lawsuits?

Old July 14th 05, 04:54 AM
Airjunkie2000

Its too bad, the tram was a good place to watch people roll down
Corbet's!