Skiing in Fairbanks AK

Old February 4th 15, 01:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Skiing in Fairbanks AK

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 14:18:35 -0800 (PST), wrote
this crap:

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 3:28:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:

You can have all you want. Just come here and take it.

Actually, the proper translation is "come and get it."

That sounds like something you say while hitting a triangle on a
chuckwagon. Something you Texans know all about.

In Detroit it's different.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 4th 15, 01:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:22:38 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

"To turn is to admit defeat" Hugh Grierson, RIP

"Hugh Grierson 1992 205.597 kph Les Arc France"

127 mph. Not all that shabby.

Record has crept on up, now 252.4kmh (156.8mph)
Simone Origone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEEvDDpu1M

Not my cup of tea.
Although I have some 230 cm obsolete old Atomic DH skis that bounce and
rattle like a Model A until you hit 55-60 mph and they suddenly go quiet
and smooth and track and turn like they're on rails. I always stood up
to slow long before these skis would top out.

Wuss.

Old February 4th 15, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:48:40 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Ski fast -Take chances.....

Record has crept on up, now 252.4kmh (156.8mph)
Simone Origone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEEvDDpu1M

Not my cup of tea.
Although I have some 230 cm obsolete old Atomic DH skis that bounce and
rattle like a Model A until you hit 55-60 mph and they suddenly go quiet
and smooth and track and turn like they're on rails. I always stood up
to slow long before these skis would top out.

Best I've ever done is 53 mph, and that was several years ago. I just
can't count on being able to deal with it if some moving slalom gate or
piece of unpleasantly soft snow suddenly decides to dart out in front of me.

Wuss. There's a run a Boyne Highlands that is listed at 5280 feet
long. I've often timed myself at less than 60 seconds. My best is 50
seconds.

Old February 4th 15, 01:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 14:20:22 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote this crap:

Remember

Ski deep -Make turns.....

Fast is for when you're lazy, tired, or before you learn to turn. Deep is good.

Wuss.

Old February 4th 15, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

BrritSki wrote:
My record is 87.3 kph or 54.25 mph (if smartphone gps's are that
accurate). Always done on the same red piste in Pila where it's
usually very quiet and there's a nice steep bit with no bumps and a
wide flat apron to run out too.

The Stevens Pass ski app I've been playing with has put me at similar speeds on
days I was on my snowboard and conditions were bad enough I knew I couldn't have
gone that fast. I suspect they aren't very accurate.

Old February 4th 15, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 07:28:05 -0800, "Bob F" wrote
this crap:

BrritSki wrote:
My record is 87.3 kph or 54.25 mph (if smartphone gps's are that
accurate). Always done on the same red piste in Pila where it's
usually very quiet and there's a nice steep bit with no bumps and a
wide flat apron to run out too.

The Stevens Pass ski app I've been playing with has put me at similar speeds on
days I was on my snowboard

"Snoreboard"?

and conditions were bad enough I knew I couldn't have
gone that fast. I suspect they aren't very accurate.

You couldn't have possibly gone as fast as a skier, poseur.

Begone from this newsgroup, dumbass.

Old February 5th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

On 2015-02-05 15:02:11 +0000, The Real Bev said:

On 02/04/2015 07:28 AM, Bob F wrote:
BrritSki wrote:
My record is 87.3 kph or 54.25 mph (if smartphone gps's are that
accurate). Always done on the same red piste in Pila where it's
usually very quiet and there's a nice steep bit with no bumps and a
wide flat apron to run out too.

The Stevens Pass ski app I've been playing with has put me at similar speeds on
days I was on my snowboard and conditions were bad enough I knew I
couldn't have
gone that fast. I suspect they aren't very accurate.

The GPS on my phone is flakey. I'm pretty sure I didn't top out at 253
mph on one run, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, it's better than nothing.
I just wish I knew how to edit a .gpx file to remove ALL labels. I can
get rid of the names, but the fix numbers stubbornly remain.

Bev,

I'd try editing the file with a text editor.

Old February 11th 15, 11:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

BrritSki wrote:
My record is 87.3 kph or 54.25 mph (if smartphone gps's are that
accurate). Always done on the same red piste in Pila where it's
usually very quiet and there's a nice steep bit with no bumps and a
wide flat apron to run out too.

The Stevens Pass ski app I've been playing with has put me at similar speeds on
days I was on my snowboard and conditions were bad enough I knew I
couldn't have
gone that fast. I suspect they aren't very accurate.

The GPS on my phone is flakey. I'm pretty sure I didn't top out at 253
mph on one run, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, it's better than nothing.
I just wish I knew how to edit a .gpx file to remove ALL labels. I can
get rid of the names, but the fix numbers stubbornly remain.

Bev,

I'd try editing the file with a text editor.

:-)

Witchcraft stopped working a long time ago; pico is crude but
effective. I removed the /name/ field, but I can't find anything in
the .gpx filethat might be something that numbers the fixes
and there's no way on google earth to fix anything google earth doesn't
want fixed.

And while we're talking about fixing, why does it have to show lines so
FAT? That, coupled with the numbers, makes GE nearly useless for this.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It is never fallacious to properly cite Donald Knuth in