Turnstyle board? Balance board?

Old October 20th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
David

Default Turnstyle board? Balance board?

So I decided to buy a balance board. Kinda pricy, so I was just
looking at Ebay & Craigslist.

I wasn't sure if I wanted the kind with the hemisphere or the roller.
I use the former at the gym once or twice a week. Might like to learn
to jump, etc. on the roller kind.

I see both those kinds have been discussed here in the past. But I saw
a new type on Ebay, the Turnstyle board. Looks like it may directly
apply to board sports. Has a hemisphere and a small roller and I
think you turn by pivoting on the hemisphere.

I've read some of the old discussions about balance boards. Some like
'em, some say "ride a skateboard". I don't see a skateboard in my
future.

I'm curious if any of ya'll have tried this board?

Also if any of you have preference between hemisphere type board and
roller-type board. Both of those are inexpensive on Ebay.

Thanks,
David

Old October 21st 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

David wrote:
[...]

I built my own hemisphere balance board after using the ones I foudn in
the gym. It's good for basic rehab and strengthening. The roller boards
are much more difficult to balance on and I would stick with the
hemisphere on if you don't think you have particularly good balance.
The Turnstyle looks pretty home-made, so I doubt you will be able to
find anyone in that owns one since I bet less than a dozen have been
sold total. That being said, it looks decently well made and the price
is very reasonable.

I agree that a skateboard would be better training... but don't think
of those tiny freestyle skateboards. Think of carving longboard
skateboards - if you want to see the utlimate balance work out check
out this video (http://whoisadamcolton.com/videoadam.mov). You can just
carve longboards as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2tcY-cU60).
I used this clip to show that you can still get a good board workout in
a relatively flat parking lot.

Old October 22nd 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
David

Thanks lonerider!

I don't post much, but I remember we discussed powder boards last
season before I bought my Malolo.

I watched a few of the videos. One of the carving ones made the
longboard look pretty fun. Still don't know how likely it is I'll ride
a skateboard. I'm way older than most skateboarders. Maybe after snow
season though. We'll see.

Watched some street luge once when I was at Donner Summit climbing.
That looked like a blast. I think they had a mountain boarding comp in
the area the same day. I don't get that sport at all.

Old October 22nd 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
brokenbetty

Watched some street luge once when I was at Donner Summit climbing.
That looked like a blast. I think they had a mountain boarding comp in
the area the same day. I don't get that sport at all.

That's a shame, it's the most snowboard-like summer season sport I've found.
What don't you get?

Liz

Old October 22nd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

brokenbetty wrote:

Watched some street luge once when I was at Donner Summit climbing.
That looked like a blast. I think they had a mountain boarding comp in
the area the same day. I don't get that sport at all.

That's a shame, it's the most snowboard-like summer season sport I've found.
What don't you get?

Liz

I found wakeboarding to feel more like a snowboard than a (trick) skateboard.
With skegs on, it carved. With skegs off, it skidded turns in a manner much
harder to do with skateboard. The equipment required is a bit more expensive.

Somewhere I was shown, and had an opportunity to try a longboard skateboard
that had three wheel trucks. The third wheel was centered, was a bit taller
than the edge wheels, and pivoted on something like a caster. The board could
carve, and at least to a limited extent slide. Name?
Old October 22nd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
brokenbetty

Somewhere I was shown, and had an opportunity to try a longboard
skateboard
that had three wheel trucks. The third wheel was centered, was a bit
taller
than the edge wheels, and pivoted on something like a caster. The board
could
carve, and at least to a limited extent slide. Name?

Sounds like a Freebord

Old October 23rd 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

David wrote:
I don't post much, but I remember we discussed powder boards last
season before I bought my Malolo.

I watched a few of the videos. One of the carving ones made the
longboard look pretty fun. Still don't know how likely it is I'll ride
a skateboard. I'm way older than most skateboarders. Maybe after snow
season though. We'll see.

Longboarders tend to be much older. For instance there is a gorup of
slalom skateboarders that ride semi-regularly at Golden Gate Park in
SF. While there a couple of young people there in their 20's, the
majority of the riders were over 40 - here is a photo
(http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?i...p10806ka2.jpg).

A benefit longboard skateboarding has is that it is "relatively" cheap
and you can do it virtually anytime and anywhere, which is convenient
for people who have busy schedules.

Old October 23rd 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

brokenbetty wrote:

Somewhere I was shown, and had an opportunity to try a longboard
skateboard
that had three wheel trucks. The third wheel was centered, was a bit
taller
than the edge wheels, and pivoted on something like a caster. The board
could
carve, and at least to a limited extent slide. Name?

Sounds like a Freebord

That looks like the one. Thanks.
Old October 23rd 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

lonerider wrote:
David wrote:

Still don't know how likely it is I'll ride
a skateboard. I'm way older than most skateboarders.

Longboarders tend to be much older.

Yeah, but I understand his feelings. There's definitely a stigma
attached to skating when you're older. But it's getting better. This
summer I turned 45, and as a present my wife gave me a longboard. This
was at a backyard bbq party and there were a few people there who don't
know me that well. They thought it was a joke, or perhaps it was
something new I was trying as a mid-life crisis thing. They didn't
realize it was a replacement for the one I had stolen out of the garage
last year, and that I've been skating for 30 years.

Anyways, I took it out into the street, and immediately started cranking
it up and down, checking out how well it pumped (awesome, it turned
out). They turned from being amused to excited in short order, and
wanted to try it out. There's a big difference between kids flipping
their popsicle sticks and someone flowing smooth pumped turns on a
longboard.

So anyways, that's the typical reaction - tell someone you skate at 45,
they look at you a little funny. But when they see it, they understand
it's different.

Neil

FWIW the new board is a 46" Sector 9 Bamboo pintail with Randall RIIs
and the matching S9 75A bamboo wheels. The W-concave is super-comfy,
and the thing is a flatland rocket. The bamboo construction is great,
lots of snap. Just wish it had a little kick for getting up curbs, the
pintail looks cool but not very functional.
Old October 23rd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
David

brokenbetty wrote:

Sounds like a Freebord

Looks fun. I'd like to try one of those.

Sorry to pry, but does your username have anything to do with injuries?
Sustained on any kind of board? Skate, mountain, or snow?

As far as the mountain boarding, rocks & dirt just don't seem like the
terrain where I want to do my falling. Sure I've biffed/fallen/crashed
on an MTB--and it wasn't always fun. Including the fall where I got a
grade-2 (fairly mild) concussion. But I'd expect to fall way more on a
mountain board. Maybe a great rider wouldn't. I would.

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
mounting pilot bindings nnn Nordic Skiing 10 March 17th 05 04:21 PM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 03:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM