Skiing is a very safe sport

Old January 5th 05, 03:43 PM
Walt

Default Skiing is a very safe sport

It must be. I read it in the paper:

"It's a very safe sport," said David Ingemie, president of SnowSports
Industries America, a Washington, D.C., area trade association that
monitors trends and safety statistics. "It's safer than riding a bike,
safer than baseball."

http://www.freep.com/news/locoak/skier5e_20050105.htm

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 5th 05, 09:23 PM
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote:

It must be. I read it in the paper:

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear that...it was drowned out by the sound of
the grinding axe.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 5th 05, 10:08 PM
Walt

Mary Malmros wrote:
Walt wrote:

It must be. I read it in the paper:

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear that...it was drowned out by the sound of
the grinding axe.

Zat what that sound is? I thought I was just clenching my teeth.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 5th 05, 11:45 PM
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Walt wrote:

It must be. I read it in the paper:

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear that...it was drowned out by the sound of
the grinding axe.

Zat what that sound is? I thought I was just clenching my teeth.

It could be. Are there tooth splinters poking into your frontal lobe? ;-)

Seriously, I get your point, but I'm of the, "When you hear hoofbeats,
look for horses," school of thought. If there's an absence of
comprehensive data on sliding accidents, it sure doesn't take a
conspiracy, because compiling such data would take a bunch of work and a
lot of cooperation and a big fat grant. And an absence of a smoking gun
doesn't mean that someone is hiding one.

Old January 6th 05, 05:37 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message
It must be. I read it in the paper:

I've been skiing since before I could walk (no reallly) and have never hurt
myself (touch wood). I think hurting yourself is optional, not mandatory.
Which is why I get so furious and others thinking it's OK to hurt ME so long
as it's "an accident".

ant

Old January 6th 05, 03:12 PM
Mary Malmros

ant wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message

It must be. I read it in the paper:

I've been skiing since before I could walk (no reallly)

Sure. Got a bridge you'd like to sell us?

Old January 6th 05, 04:14 PM
Norm

"Ron - NY" wrote in message
I started doing the wedge inside the womb .
Ron

Me too, but I had to walk a couple years before I learned to flatboard.

Old January 6th 05, 04:16 PM
William

And just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
.. .

William

Old January 6th 05, 04:29 PM
Walt

Mary Malmros wrote:
Walt wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
Walt wrote:

It must be. I read it in the paper:

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear that...it was drowned out by the sound
of the grinding axe.

Zat what that sound is? I thought I was just clenching my teeth.

It could be. Are there tooth splinters poking into your frontal lobe? ;-)

No. That would constitute a dental lobotomy, and it hasn't happened to
me yet. But if I start posting about my newfound fascination with
Andrew Lloyd Weber, Yanni and Thomas Kincaid, you'll know it has.

Seriously, I get your point, but I'm of the, "When you hear hoofbeats,
look for horses," school of thought. If there's an absence of
comprehensive data on sliding accidents, it sure doesn't take a
conspiracy, because compiling such data would take a bunch of work and a
lot of cooperation and a big fat grant. And an absence of a smoking gun
doesn't mean that someone is hiding one.

Well, my guess is that it would take a phd student about 6 months and
maybe 20k to collect enough data to present a reasonable summary,
assuming that the resorts cooperated. No, I'm not volunteering to pay
for it myself, but I don't think it's beyond reasonable. The hard part
of actually collecting the data is already done, it's just moldering in
the filing cabinets at the resort offices where it doesn't do anybody
much good, other than serving as ass-covering evidence for legal.

Dammit. I promised to stay off the soap box today. Oh well.

--
//-Walt
//

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 09:03 PM