Powder newbie....

Old January 5th 05, 04:44 AM
Richard Henry

"Wayne Decker" wrote in message
Hmmm. When was that? I think I saw you in that predicament.

Probably 1971. I was in the Navy at Pt. Mugu then, working nights
Sunday-Thursday. I would often get off early enough Thursday night (all the
planes had returned, all the problems repaired) early enough to get to
Mammoth in time to ski Friday, then sleep hard and ski again Saturday. This
particular weekend, it snowed all day Friday, closing 395 below Bishop.
Saturday dawned bright, deep and windless, and the road wasn't open until
about noon.

Old January 6th 05, 12:01 AM
Jim Strohm

ant wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message news:cSBCd.756

5) Attach powder cords

Oh CRAP, that was what I forgot to get today...

Should include some stuff for powder leashes along with the extra
envelopes the next time I send you a jar of jalapenos?

Anything else on your wish list?
Old January 6th 05, 05:21 AM
ant

"Jim Strohm" wrote in message
ant wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message news:cSBCd.756

5) Attach powder cords

Oh CRAP, that was what I forgot to get today...

Should include some stuff for powder leashes along with the extra
envelopes the next time I send you a jar of jalapenos?

buggeration. I was actually in haberdashery in wal-mart hours before I read
that, getting some needles and cotton to repair stuff, and I was actaully
looking at the wool and buttons! idiot!!! given I was skiing some big fat
powder today. however I do not ski to fall, and didn't even come close
today. it was good, too. hip deep pow, and some nice big fat SOFT moguls.
bliss.

but I must get some wool and buttons.

You can send me jars of those mutant jalapenos anytime!

Anything else on your wish list?

um.... I hate that, when someone asks what you'd like, and you can't think
of anything! That means you're happy, right? or at least content. Which I
prolly am. although if I lost my skis I wouldn't be, they're Stocklis.

Are you after anything?!!! : )

ant

Old January 6th 05, 06:38 PM
David Harris

ospam (BREWERPAUL) wrote in
:

After skiing for years in Northeast conditions (NY, Mass, VT), I'm
finally going out to Colorado for a ski weekend (Crested Butte).
Any technique suggestions to help me not make a fool of myself in
powder would be appreciated! I'm a pretty fair skiier-- not a
hot-dogger, I just like cruising. In the NE I can handle most black
diamonds, although I enjoy intermediate trails more-- the expert stuff
is too much like work.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

Lots of good advice so far, so I'll reiterate the ones that I think are
important (and the things you hear over and over are probably the most
relevant):

Powdercords - never used them, but I think I've been very lucky. Make
some.

Powder is slower than hardpack - so you NEED a steeper slope to get
decent speed, and you CAN ski steeper slopes than you would think.

It's easy. After falling a lot for two days when I learned, I suddenly
realized that it was easy. It's very consistent, no moguls, no ice - so
quit falling!

Balance (side to side) is more important than it is on hardpack. Stay
balanced over your skis - you can't suddenly move one ski to correct an
imbalance, like you can on hardpack.

Bounce. You will need to exaggerate your knee bends and bounce from side
to side.

Think about your skis as a single unit. Carve and BANK them around like
a waterski. While bouncing!

Rhythm is more important. The bounce from one turn leads into the next.
Visualize one of those "powder 8s" competitions, and try to get going
from one turn to another in perfect rhythm.

Going from powder to crud to hardpack and back as things get skied out is
a bit tricky. You will slow down/speed up as you go from one to the
other, and find yourself forward or back on your skis. Relax and stay
centred. I think this is a prime reason people covet untracked - it's so
smooth and pure (and you get to look back at YOUR tracks, with pride and
joy and amazement). OTOH, once you get used to it, it can be quite fun
too - I just see it as a bonus challenge, and try to go as smooth as
possible through the worst cutup crud. This has the added benefit of
misrepresenting the challenge to newcomers, and makes it more
entertaining watching them when they go through it and realize that it's
a bit tricky!

Actually, if you are skiing something that is partially "pre-skied",
you'll find your speed changing whenever you ski in someone elses track,
even if only for part of a turn. Relax, don't worry, be happy.

Once you get the hang of it, your skiing smarts will take over again, but
I found these thoughts to be helpful when first learning.

Have fun. SMILE!

dh

Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Powder Skiing Lesson and Tips Jay Sitkin Alpine Skiing 27 January 25th 04 06:56 AM
Toko X-cold powder? JMC Nordic Skiing 4 January 16th 04 03:44 PM
Base Repair: P-tex or powder ? Ron N.Y Alpine Skiing 5 January 13th 04 10:33 PM
Trip report: Big powder over the holidays Seth Masia Alpine Skiing 2 January 6th 04 04:12 PM