Advice? Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Baker, Big Sky or Aleyska? DEC.

Old November 26th 03, 05:45 AM
tlf

Default Advice? Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Baker, Big Sky or Aleyska? DEC.

go anywhere but baker, don't want to get caught in a blizzard!

"Luke" wrote in message
newsoQwb.302778$HS4.2704929@attbi_s01...
Mount Bachelor and Mount Baker are your best options. The upper lifts at
Timberline and Meadows are more likely to be closed than Mt. Bachelor
bringing the advertised vertical down quite a bit. You can't make it to
snow cat land without a lot of hiking when Cascade express and Palmer are
closed (high lifts at Meadows and Timberline respectively). Mt. Baker has
much better bowls and powder than anywhere that I now about (world record
snowfall was there) but has a slow lift system (no high speed quads as all
the lifts and everything else in the area are diesel powered perhaps

adding
to its beauty and lack of commercialization).

Mount Bachelor will have few lines, faster lifts and more vertical per
minute spent at the resort than possibly anywhere in the US. There is

also
great freeriding on the back of the mountain which offers great back

country
riding when not icy and the Summit lift is open. Otherwise the Northwest
Express takes you up over 2,200 vertical feet without having to get off

and
go to another lift.

If you must go to Hood than go to meadows but I say Bachelor lots of

riding,
Baker for powder and steeps and Hood for metro area accessibility.

Old November 27th 03, 03:26 AM
toddjb

If you must go to Hood than go to meadows but I say Bachelor lots of riding,
Baker for powder and steeps and Hood for metro area accessibility.

Wow, guys, great info, thanks for the tips!

Also was interested to hear about the Timberline Lodge. Did not know that
was the Shining exterior shot. It'd be cool to stay there for a night
or two.

Heck, if I want to board for 5 or 6 days, maybe the deal is to just go
to Oregon...stay near Hood for a couple days, drive to Bachelor area,
stay there for a couple days, drive to Timberline...stay in the lodge
for New Years, scare the **** out of myself when I stumble into the
maze and get lost and try not to run into Mr. Torres. (sp?)

Thanks,
-todd
Old November 27th 03, 05:03 PM
Mike T

Also was interested to hear about the Timberline Lodge. Did not know
that
was the Shining exterior shot. It'd be cool to stay there for a night
or two.

Timberline Lodge is also on Mount Hood. Meadows is on the east side of
the mtn, Timberline on the south. They typically have a good terrain
park and halfpipe, and that's about it, during the winter. Their main
attraction is summer riding and skiing - in a good snow year their
season is 50 weeks long (closed for 2 weeks in September for
maintenance)

You can see the lodge and ride at Mt Hood Meadows in the same day.
Riding at Timberline is not recommended if you're visiting from far
away - unless, that is, you just want to hang in the park/pipe all day,
or if you ride alpine and the top lift (Palmer) is open.

Mike T

Old November 27th 03, 08:13 PM
toddjb

Allright OREGON folks,

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to spend a week traveling to a few
of your resorts, which all seem pretty nice. It is tough to figure out driving
times from the websites, and I'd expect they'd all be different with snow on
the ground.

If you can, have a look at this anal chart below and let me know if I'm on the
right track. I used either the lodge or the lodging location (hood river for
the meadows, government camp for mt. hood ski bowl, etc.). But, timberline and
hood have the same zipcode so it was tough to figure.

I'm thinking, get the long drive out of the way first and do Bachelor for
2-3 days, then hit 2 of the other resorts.
Unless we can only get a late flight, then hit a close resort first.

DRIVING DISTANCE (distance/time to and from airports/resorts)

BACHELOR MEADOWS TIMBERLINE HOOD
PDX 159m 3.5h 67.5m 1.4h 62m 1.5h 52m 1.3h
BACH X 125m 2h 111m 2.5h 111m 2.5h
MEADOW 125m 2h X 40m 1h 40m 1h
TIMBER 111m 2.5h 40m 1h X close
HOOD 111m 2.5h 40m 1h close X

Any info helpful,
-todd
Old November 27th 03, 08:40 PM
Mike T

DRIVING DISTANCE (distance/time to and from airports/resorts)

BACHELOR MEADOWS TIMBERLINE HOOD
PDX 159m 3.5h 67.5m 1.4h 62m 1.5h 52m 1.3h
BACH X 125m 2h 111m 2.5h 111m 2.5h
MEADOW 125m 2h X 40m 1h 40m 1h
TIMBER 111m 2.5h 40m 1h X close
HOOD 111m 2.5h 40m 1h close X

PDX- Gov't camp, you're right about on with 52 miles. Can be done in
just over an hour in good weather, no traffic; allow extra time for
weather, and traffic if on a weekend.

PDX - bachelor... the 3.5 hours would get to you Bend (no stops), but
it's another 20 miles from Bend to Bachelor.

Going from PDX to Timberline, Bachelor, or Meadows takes you through
gov't camp... as does Timberline-Meadows.

Timberline-Ski Bowl/Gov't Camp = 6 miles, 10 minutes + weather and
traffic
Meadows-Ski Bowl/ Gov't Camp = 10 miles, 12 minutes + weather and
traffic
Timberline-Meadows - add up the above 2.

Meadows is 35 miles / 40 minutes from Hood River which is 65 miles / 65
mins from PDX. The shortest way to Meadows from PDX gores through
Gov't camp, *not* Hood River.

You should definitely be able to hit 'em all on one trip, no problems at
all.

They do *not* plow the roads down to the pavement here. If you hit it
at the right time, when its cold and snowy, there will be snow on the
roads round the clock. You'll want chains, studs, 4x4, or a
combination. I have a Durango w/ full time 4WD (and part time, and low)
with studs on all four tires, and I've been really glad I;ve had oall
that on several occasions.

Of course if it's warm the snow will melt off the roads every afternoon.

Mike T

Old November 28th 03, 03:55 PM
Mike T

Don't they require chains regardless of whether you have a 4x4 or
studs ?

Oregon's chain laws are explained he

http://www.tripcheck.com/winter/ChainLaws.htm

See the "exemptions" part - 4WD exempts you from chains under most
circumstances. I keep a pair of chains with me "just in case" but I've
never used them. (I do put them on in my driveway once at the
beginning of each season just make sure they're still OK, and that I
remember how to do it!) Actually, I was caught in one of those
"conditional roads closures" mentioned at the above link, and simply
used 4WD low. It was blowing too hard to be able to chain up. I made
it out without incident, albeit very, very slowly.

Mike T

Old December 1st 03, 01:32 AM
toddjb

Booked it!

Thanks a ton for all the advice here. After filtering through all the great
feedback it sounded like Baker and Bachelor were the places to hit, so
that's what we booked.

Skiing & Boarding 3 days at Mt. Baker and then take a day off and grab
a puddle jumper down to Portland and ski/board 3 days at Bachelor.

Will probably stay in Glaciar and Bend if you have any lodging recommendations.
In Bend for New Years, so hopefully there is something going on
around there. Chris, we'll look for your shop and stop in for a quick tune
up before hitting Bachelor.

I'm stoked...this should be a great trip and I'm looking forward to an
alternative to Denver, SLC, Tahoe and Whistler...which are GREAT areas,
but attract more people due to the resorts at the base.

-todd
Old December 1st 03, 05:47 PM
Chris Stringer

Will probably stay in Glaciar and Bend if you have any lodging recommendations.
In Bend for New Years, so hopefully there is something going on
around there. Chris, we'll look for your shop and stop in for a quick tune
up before hitting Bachelor.

Sounds great Todd. I look forward to meeting you. If I'm not there
you can talk with Brian, my partner, or any of the other guys down
there. We'll get you set up and tell you where the best spots on the
mountain are to hit. Give a call when you get to town if you need
directions. As far as places to stay there are TONS of cheap hotels
out on business 97, so I'm sure you can find a good deal.

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport
1009 NW Galveston