Kickwax grip for crust skiing? I'm slipping!

Old February 27th 06, 03:38 PM

Default Kickwax grip for crust skiing? I'm slipping!

OK, crust skiing is a breeze for skating. But what about for
classicking?

I'm finding I can't get very good grip. It's also easy to have all wax
stripped off by the snow.

I think that green klister as a base then universal on top seems to
hold to the ski for crust skiing at about 30-38F. But I don't get much
grip.

Say, what's the best klister binder? I've been hearing from local pals
that green klister is the thing to use. But I also have an old tube of
"Grund" klister---is that a base binder klister?

Anyway, any kick tricks for harsh crust?

Maybe just a longer kickzone?

The problem might mostly be the rough surface---when you kick you're
not really contacting that much snow but a bunch of bumps and ridges
instead. ??

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com

Old February 27th 06, 03:56 PM

Sounds like you may be waxing too warm. If so, your klister may be
icing; it doesn't grip then. Happened to me yesterday.

If you take the time to rough your base and really work in a THIN layer
of green klister as a base, your wax shouldn't wear off. I would guess
that a cover of blue klister on top of that might work well in the
crust, provided the snow doesn't soften too much.

I don't know what "grund" kilster is, but if it smells like pine tar
then maybe it is a distant relative of "grundvalla", which if I recall
correctly is the stuff you work into the bases of wood skis.

bt

Old February 27th 06, 04:46 PM

If your klister is wearing off, it could be a few things.
Universal klister in some makes, is soft and strips off easily in icy
conditions.
You ski may be too soft. Do the card test.
You may have a very hard kick.
You may be ski-ing a long way.

Klister can also stop gripping because it is dirty.

"Grund klister" means base klister. There used to be some ultra-sticky
stuff around which was used to stick klister to skis in the conditions
you describe. However, AFAIK it is no longer sold, because the colder
klisters (usually blue or green) do that job too, and can be used on
their own in cold conditions. I see Swix describe the blue and green
klisters as "base" klisters.

I don't use klister more than a couple of years old. The old stuff
doesn't seem to work as well as the new. I think this is due to
deterioration, as well as manufacturer's improvements. I have not had
much success with universal klister on its own, with the problems you
describe. It does work well in some conditions as a mix, and seems to
resist icing.

I recommend you buy a klister for the conditions. I have found Swix
blue works on crust and it stays on well. If it doesn't stay on the
ski, then follow bt's advice for putting green underneath. If you
need to wax warmer, then you can try the blue as a base, simply
because it is easier to work with than green and generally does the
job.

Alex

Old February 28th 06, 02:20 AM

I have em. I had a notion that it wasn't right for them---not soft
enough. Are nowax OK on bumpy hard crust? Guess I should try next time!

Old February 28th 06, 02:03 PM

Why bother with classic skiing when you have crust conditions?! We get
such conditions around here for only a few days (mornings, actually) a
year, and then we can skate over all the farm fields and golf courses
and yards etc. we can find. It's truly the most joyful skiing of the
year. It seems so natural and right to be skating in those conditions
that I find it impossible to believe that people haven't always been
doing this on fine spring mornings. Indeed, I think it's the only time
that, when I'm skating, I find myself thinking of classic skiing (which
I also love) as mere trudging.

Onno

Old February 28th 06, 04:05 PM

iron in a very thin layer of any blue klister, then use Rode Multigrade
klister, AND let it cool down before using it!
sharp icy bumps in your track will tear off klister. keep to groomed
track.

Old March 1st 06, 12:39 AM

I'm talking about crust---not groomed.