dumb question but i need to know! (re ski poles strap adjust legnth)

Old February 28th 06, 05:23 PM

Default dumb question but i need to know! (re ski poles strap adjust legnth)

i bought some swix ski poles (the least expensive carbon ones)
and they have a cool wrist strap (padded) but i cannot figure out how
get more strap to enlarge the wrist strap. i can see the loop on the
top and there is
a black plastic strap keeper on the top. these are brand new and i do
not want to force anything.
how do you do it?
TIA.

Old February 28th 06, 05:36 PM

wintermutt wrote:
i bought some swix ski poles (the least expensive carbon ones)
and they have a cool wrist strap (padded) but i cannot figure out how
get more strap to enlarge the wrist strap. i can see the loop on the
top and there is
a black plastic strap keeper on the top. these are brand new and i do
not want to force anything.
how do you do it?
TIA.

The Swix poles I'm familiar with have two different types of strap
keepers, let's call them the "old" style and the "new" style. The old
style is pretty much a simple wedge shaped thing. The strap comes out
of the grip, loops around it and when it wedges back into the slot in
the top of the pole grip, the wedge holds the strap in place at the
length you have adjusted it for. It is easy to adjust. Just pull up
on the little loop of strap at the top and the wedge will pop out.
Adjust the strap, then very firmly push the wedge back into place (I
usually smack it with my hand or the top of the other pole). If the
wedge is set in too tight to pull out that way, just use the tip of
your other pole and just nudge (i.e. pry gently) it out. You won't
hurt it.

The "new" style is a little more complex. It's more difficult for me to
describe, but it has a channel in it and the strap snakes through that
channel before emerging at the top where there is a little loop of the
strap. It is a more "finished" look than the old style. (but I don't
like it as well - harder to adjust, a little less adjustment possible).

The new style "theoretically" can pop out in a similar fashion, but
I've found I need to nudge it out with the tip of the other pole. If
you're at home, use an appropriate sized screw driver or such to nudge
it out. Again, I don't think you'll hurt anything.

Does any of this make sense? If not, just go into any decent ski shop
and ask the guys/gals to show you.

Old February 28th 06, 08:30 PM

i have the new style with the channels. i was trying to get the top off
but i was using more force than i thought i should be using.
i will try again with a screwdriver. thankyou.

Old February 28th 06, 08:51 PM

I have both, but prefer the old style. It looks a little more crude,
but works well and is easier, in my experience. I think that if you
decide the ones you have are a PITA, the old style are often available
at ski shops - little or no cost - and they both work with current Swix
grips.