binding choice: salomon 912 vs. look p12 (or rossi axial 120) ?

Old January 7th 05, 08:52 PM

Default binding choice: salomon 912 vs. look p12 (or rossi axial 120) ?

I'm trying to pick between bindings to put on some skis that have been
sitting bare for a couple seasons. I'm down to salomon 912's vs. Look
p12's or their Rossignol equivalents (axial 120 ?).

Here's my inputs:
- I weigh 165lbs/75kg, 6ft/182cm, DIN 6 (should be reviewed), somewhere
between intermediate & advanced. Steep with limited recovery is the
only thing that spooks me, I'm lifetime east coast US (hardpack, no
powder opptys), I like flat cruising, or at least I have no interest in
mogul fields - small & large turns at speed are more my bag, my choice
vs. the terrain's.
- I've been on Salomons since I can remember. Currently on Serie 7's
vintage 1994.
- I like the idea of the rotary heelpiece on the Looks, am interested
in trying it - for the added safety factor
- these will go on Rossi 9X 201cm I picked up virtually for free
courtesy of the shaped ski revolution
- I want to avoid the Salomon 914 cause I'm at the bottom of their DIN
range, and even if I should go up, I'd rather be on a 4-12 vs. a 6-14.
- I've been going through the gear reviews on paper and online. I
gather that the Looks have a good rep for quality engineering and
precision. Just read that Salomon's AFD is crude compared to others.
I've had a single inappropriate release out of my Serie 7's, and all
Salomon's I've owned have been utterly reliable.
- I'm interested in the benefits of lifter plates; Salomon's look a
little more advanced than Look's.
- SKI mag sez the Sal PowerAxe plate is harsh.

So given all this, if you have an opinion about this choice or the
comments here, share it ? - much appreciated!

Tx,
J.