Conditions at Breck/Keystone/A-basin

Old January 2nd 05, 02:20 PM

Default Conditions at Breck/Keystone/A-basin

Can someone who has actually been there post a report on conditions at
any/all of these areas? Mikey or Snoig or someone who knows how
Chester Bullock used to do it when he was at Copper.
H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Old January 2nd 05, 04:55 PM
snoig

Well, I went out Friday for a few runs but the crowds have been pretty
bad so I've been doing more XC this week. On Friday, I waited about 15
minutes in the singles line to get on the Colorado Superchair then went
over to E chair. I noticed 6 chair was closed probably because it was
windy but it really wasn't to bad.

I skied E chair for a few runs and it was pretty boney. Lots of rocks
on the top of the ridge. The winds have been coming from the opposite
direction so most of the northern exposure slopes are pretty rocky
while the southern exposure slopes have lots of snow. The sun was out
yesterday and today so they could be getting pretty crusty by now.

Even though we've had a bit of snow in the last week, the wind has
compacted it pretty well. Avi danger is way up there with many slides
being reported in the last week. When the conditions are like this, it
usually means lots of hardpack above treeline. I went up McColloch
Gulch yesterday and everything in the open was blown off or some pretty
hard slab.

On the plus side, pretty much all of the terrian at Breck is open. I
did some tree runs Friday and didn't hit any rocks so the base is
starting to build up. Still, we need some more snow. The forecast has
us for an inch or two every day for the next week with up to 8 on
Tuesday. It should be pretty good by next weekend. Most of the
holiday crowd should be gone by then and hopefull the Broncos will be
in the playoffs and people will be staying home to watch them.

snoig

Old January 4th 05, 03:02 PM

Snoig:

Thanx for the info, not as much snow as I would like to hear about, but
maybe in 2 more weeks things will get better. I want to get out before
the end of Jan for about 10 days, and then 10 more days sometime in
March if my consulting work stays at a low level.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Old January 5th 05, 07:10 PM
snoig

What a difference a day makes. Breck reported 4" today but it was more
like 8" to 10" on six chair. Best day of the year so far and pretty
much better than any day last year. Not many people out there because
of winter storm warnings. Still a light snow coming down now.
Snowforcast.com says 1 to 2 tomorrow, 2 to 4 Friday, 1 to 2 Saturday
and 3 to 3 Monday. Enough to keep things resurfaced. There's still a
few rocks out there but not much to worry about. It should be really
good this weekend.

Old January 5th 05, 11:32 PM
snoig

Yep, still in inches. What do you want, it's Summit County. Wolf
Creek and Silverton are getting hammered. Beaver Creek got a bit from
this one. Still, skiing here is better then it's been all year.

snoig

Old January 6th 05, 04:49 PM
William

Was at Breck last week. Apparently, they had very little snow for the
two weeks leading up to our trip. And it had been quite warm part of
the time during the days. We got a nice little dump midweek (reported
as 4-5 inches, but it was clearly more than that on the mountain) and
it was very nice for two days.

But after it got skiied off, they was a hard layer of packed that was
more like ice in some places. We atrributed that layer to some warm
days followed by cold nights and re-freezing. That being said, there
were still some nice groomed blue runs (the best blue on Peak 9 was
Cashier, the same run where a boarder got killed on 12/31). I also did
the double-diamond bowl to skier's far left off the T-bar (Y Chutes?)
and it had plenty of snow, much fun. Also did Devil's Crotch on Peak
9. Despite being very steep, there was still plenty of snow between
the bumps. Fun slope.

There is a blue-black run called Frosty's Freeway that seems essential
to get back from Peak 8 to Peak 9. If you are trying to take some
beginners or early intermediate skiers that way, be careful. Very icey,
bumpy. The newbies were wicked ****ed that we took them on it.
(Ungrateful POS's. We were trying to save them the traverse down on
Sawmill).

We "worked the 6 chair" for a few runs and it was my favorite. Plenty
of white stuff even 3 days after the last snowfall. I recomend
Solitude and whatever run was farthest to skier's right at the top (map
far left).

Overall, it would probably be better with more snow, but we had a great
time, nonetheless. Granted, this was several days ago. . . I could
probably think of some other details if you had other specific
questions. What pitches are you interested in? We skied Peak 10 some
also, as well as Peak 7.

-William

Old January 7th 05, 03:10 PM
Chester Bullock

William wrote:

We "worked the 6 chair" for a few runs and it was my favorite. Plenty
of white stuff even 3 days after the last snowfall. I recomend
Solitude and whatever run was farthest to skier's right at the top (map
far left).

I worked the 6 chair for about 4 hours on Wednesday. Snow up to my
knees pretty much the whole time, and no people. Essentially had two
trails to myself, and I kept making laps on them. All of the lemmings
(and snowboarders who couldn't make the traverse) were busy tracking out
what was under the lift. Oh if they had known what they were missing...

Chester

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

Whistler conditions DZN Alpine Skiing 0 April 12th 04 04:49 AM
ski conditions dick Alpine Skiing 1 February 21st 04 10:13 PM
Conditions for Keski Tim Dudley Nordic Skiing 7 February 12th 04 03:37 AM
2 Alpes glacier conditions PG European Ski Resorts 0 August 30th 03 09:01 AM
Whistler @ Christmas & New Year - Conditions ?? Iain Gilroy Alpine Skiing 2 August 12th 03 08:14 PM