OK, what about the russian sprint team?

Old February 18th 10, 12:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default OK, what about the russian sprint team?

None of the Norwegian racers or leaders have been willing to state any
doubts about those two russian skiers who just left the rest of the
final heat in the dust, but Pär Elofsson was willing to do so according
to the reports I've read.

It seems really suspicious to me that the entire russian sprint team
bowed out of the Canmore sprints, after being entered, and then they
came back with that incredible final performance.

This is really sad IMHO, it will leave at least a slight blemish to that
result list. :-(

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 18th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Douglas

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Terje,
When I watched the two Russian Men win in the sprint yesterday I
thought the same thing as you. Of course there will be readers here
who say" how dare you question their win". However I'm with you
thinking they looked more fresh at the finish than all the other men
in the final sprint. At the elite level doping becomes very strategic.
There is a window in which you can use the benefits of EPO without
being caught. Perhaps this is why they chose not to race in Canmore.
It's the time table the best dopers are able to pull off without
getting caught. So congratulations to the Russian Men in the sprint
until they get caught.
Old February 19th 10, 12:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
cpella[_2_]

Unfortunately, as in the case of Dementiev and Tchepelova, they may
only be caught years later, and their victories won't be expunged. And
thus it will continue until the sports authorities get real about
penalties. Minimum 5 year suspension to remove them from the next
Olympic cycle. Criminal fraud charges like they are doing in Austria.
Spend the testing money where it is most effective, out of competition
testing. Suspending countries where there is a cluster of detections.
It sometimes takes national shaming before there is action, as in
Austria.

Chris

Old February 19th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Chris' comment is misleading. The Olympic rules/policies (and
perhaps FIS's) allow retroactive disqualification if later-developed
tests find a sample to be positive for a drug banned at the time.
However, the call for retroactive disqualification (punishment) where
there is no proof of violation at the time is, in my opinion, worse
than a bad idea. We wouldn't allow it in everyday civil affairs, so why
in sports? For context, I'd also suggest the writer check out Magnar
Dalen's recent interview comments about drugs at
http://fasterskier.com/2010/02/to-sk...-magnar-dalen/
(near the bottom).

Gene

Old February 19th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
cpella[_2_]

Doesn't disprove my main point. The current punitive levels are
insufficient to act as a disincentive. How they can be increased is
open to discussion.
Also, it is not clear to me what the Olympics have to do with civil
law. It an athlete's privilege to compete in the games, not a right.
They can make whatever rules they want. They can exclude women from
jumping if they want to, and Canadian courts upheld that decision. The
IOS seems to operate in its own world. And there are precedents in
other fields for removing awards from people for their actions whether
or not they occurred before or after the award. The IOC runs their own
ship and they should determine how the value of their product is
perceived. They can get away with sending people down dangerous luge
courses and downhill ski runs. Removing a medal retroactively because
the medal holder has tainted the brand of the product seems pretty
small potatoes in comparison to what they get away with in terms of
everyday civil law.

Dalen's recent interview comments about drugs athttp://fasterskier.com/2010/02/to-ski-as-fast-as-possible-an-intervie...

Old February 19th 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

First off, if your point is about the Olympics, you're factually wrong
about the rules and policies. Check it out. If your point is about
disincentives, the view that increasingly severe punishment stops crime
is self-evidently false (plus there's a lot of research on the subject).

You say sport is different than the rest of life, i.e., competing is a
privilege. Well, a driver's license is legally considered a
privilege. If a truck driver gets caught DUI or kills others with
reckless driving, then should all their past truck driving earnings be
taken away, or maybe record of their license deleted, so that they are
retroactively guilty of driving without one? The list of parallel
examples could go on and on.

That's why I think the logic of this kind of argument, wherever it's
coming from, is a kind of puritanical moral self righteous world view:
sin is proof that one has always been a sinner, and thus record of the
sinner's past should be expunged. I'd prefer to leave such matters to
the court of public opinion. And with sports, that court is powerful.

Gene

Old February 19th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

The one good thing is that all the doping tests are kept pretty much
indefinitely, which means that they can be retested in a year or two
when better/more sensitive tests have been developed.

If such re-testing finds proof of cheating then they will indeed
retroactively take away Olympic medals: Alsgaard and Estil (afair) got
medals several years later due to this.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 19th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

Terje Mathisen wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Generating an odd result in 2002: Becky Scott ended up being awarded
bronze, silver, *and* gold for the same race (albeit she didn't get the
gold until 2 years after the race - I've always wondered if they let
her keep the silver and bronze medals...).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beckie_Scott
Bob