Will oil prices kill XC?

Old July 10th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Will oil prices kill XC?

Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.
Old July 10th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 23:24:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

Less. Less one-day long trips alone.
Old July 12th 08, 10:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
gr wrote:
wrote:
Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

I think I need to move more north. Maybe Canada?
Which is better? Higher (mountains) or more north?

Gas prices are even higher in Canada than they are in the US
and at least eastern Canada has been having similar low-snow
years to the US. But, the Almaguin Highlands in Ontario has
pretty reliable snow - almost as reliable as Tug Hill, only
with even less XC grooming (but with less skidoo traffic,
too).

Old July 13th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Whalen NULL

On Jul 10, 1:24*am, "
wrote:
Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

This is a real issue. Personally, I am getting to the age where I
want and need to get out and enjoy while I am able. My Dad recently
passed (on July 27) and seeing him age made me stop and think. I told
my Mom I was debating about taking trips and she said "live and enjoy
your life!". SO, even with the dollar being weak (VERY weak), we (my
wife and I) are biting the bullet, and are doing the "Marciolonga" in
Italy and the "König Ludwig Lauf" in Germany next winter. I have
already booked hotels, and we are renting an apartment in Venice for 4
days between the races! (I got tips on where to stay in this forum).
I'm training hard this summer to get in shape for the 70K
Marcialonga!

These were big decisions for big events. A more local issue for me
involves weekends and so forth close to home. There are great venues
relatively nearby (I live in western NY state), but driving over an
hour for a day of skiing is getting pricey. I can get a good workout
and a decent ski at the local (Erie County) parks, and I am tending
more towards that. I feel for skiers who live where they MUST drive
to get to the snow. We've more or less got snow right our backyard.
Bottom line - XC skiing WILL be impacted by the fuel crisis (and I
suspect downhill will as well).
Old July 14th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mitch

On Jul 10, 2:24 am, "
wrote:
Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

Gas prices are going up, both for the skiers and for the trail
groomers. I worry more that some of our favorite places to ski might
go out of business.

On the other hand we might do with a better management of
expectations. Just for example, and not meaning to pick on any one
area, my understanding is that Garnet Hill's policy is "We groom every
day." Now I've skied at Garnet Hill a few times, and I've
occasionally seen days when the trails would have been in BETTER shape
if they'd have just kept the groomer parked that day. BUT, there is
an expectation on the part of (some? of) their customers that if
they're going to pay for a trail pass, the trails darn well better be
groomed that day.

-Mitch
Old July 14th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Jim Whalen NULL wrote:
On Jul 10, 1:24 am, "
wrote:
Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

This is a real issue. Personally, I am getting to the age where I

[snip]
Bottom line - XC skiing WILL be impacted by the fuel crisis (and I
suspect downhill will as well).

What you guys still don't get is that you are paying less than half of
what we do here in Europe!

Currently we're at nearly $3 per liter, i.e. $11 per gallon.

Driving three hours each way for a weekend in the mountains is getting
more expensive, otoh we're driving a relatively small Opel (i.e. German
GM) Zafira station wagon with a diesel engine, which means that even
with a ski box on the roof we're getting about 7l per 100 km.

I.e. 100/1.6=62.5 miles, 7/3.6=1.95 gallons, so 32.2 mils/gallon.

Terje

--
-
Old July 14th 08, 11:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:02:25 +0200, Terje Mathisen
wrote:

Jim Whalen NULL wrote:
On Jul 10, 1:24 am, "
wrote:
Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

This is a real issue. Personally, I am getting to the age where I

[snip]
Bottom line - XC skiing WILL be impacted by the fuel crisis (and I
suspect downhill will as well).

What you guys still don't get is that you are paying less than half of
what we do here in Europe!

Thanks, since I now know gas is more expensive in Europe than where I
live, I guess I shouldn't change my behaviour due to price increases
here.
Old July 14th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

Here in the SF bay area, skiing is about 8 gallons away (one way in my
Subaru). Add another couple of gallons to go out to dinner, etc and I'm
up to 20 gallons for the weekend. Even when it doubles from $3 to
$6/gallon that will only be $60 *more* than I paid in ~2004. That's not
bad for entertainment around here.

Bob
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:02:25 +0200, Terje Mathisen
wrote:

Old July 15th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eugene Miya

In article ,
wrote:
Do you expect to travel less to snow this winter? Global warming will
kill XC, but high oil prices may kill it even faster.

Only if you view skiing as a purely recreational activity.

Less. Less one-day long trips alone.

Spring Prices? Nevhision Snowboarding 5 February 3rd 05 02:58 AM
Used Ski Prices Zachary Caldwell Nordic Skiing 12 July 1st 04 12:36 AM
Ski wax prices SchnauzerDad Alpine Skiing 31 February 3rd 04 02:50 AM
Great Prices Philip Spotts Marketplace 0 December 2nd 03 07:20 PM
ski equipment prices G North American Ski Resorts 11 October 26th 03 11:33 AM