Marcialonga

Old January 28th 06, 05:20 AM

Default Marcialonga

The Marcialonga website reports that German racers Teichmann and
Schluetter may race the big 70km event on Sunday:
http://news.marcialonga.it/x-net/mar...orage/00000213

Any chance that some of our European friends could get a torrent-able
feed of the race? The 2004 race, when it was part of the World Cup, was
a classic (no pun intended).

Old January 28th 06, 09:39 AM

tassava wrote:
The Marcialonga website reports that German racers Teichmann and
Schluetter may race the big 70km event on Sunday:
http://news.marcialonga.it/x-net/mar...orage/00000213

Any chance that some of our European friends could get a torrent-able
feed of the race? The 2004 race, when it was part of the World Cup, was
a classic (no pun intended).

Cant find it on any of the TV schedules.
Last Year when it was WC the Eurosport covered it but this season they are concentrating on African Cup football.
The best we could expect is one of the stations showing a brief news report, but thats usually partisan and will show only their leading racers diving over the finish line and collapsing in their death throes...
Well, you know the picture!! We're lucky if they even name the podium finishers let alone show them.

Are there likely to be other Olympic contenders taking part this close to the Oly's?

Old January 28th 06, 12:46 PM

Tassava,
Was that the race where they double poled for 50km?
That was one of the most amazing sports events I have ever watched.
Nothing short of amazing.
/john

Old January 30th 06, 09:17 AM

dardruba wrote:

Cant find it on any of the TV schedules.

italian TV broadcasted the final kms yesterday morning, however IMHO it
was not a truly exciting race

Are there likely to be other Olympic contenders taking part this close
to the Oly's?

AFAIK no olympic contenders

--
beorn
"You've got to learn to crawl
Old January 30th 06, 10:17 AM

beorn wrote:
italian TV broadcasted the final kms yesterday morning, however IMHO it
was not a truly exciting race

Thanks beorn.
What station was that, is it on satellite and do you know which satellite stations are likely to broadcast the Nordic events at Torino (apart from Eurosport).
Old January 30th 06, 10:43 AM

dardruba wrote:

What station was that, is it on satellite and do you know which
satellite stations are likely to broadcast the Nordic events at Torino
(apart from Eurosport).

well, it was RAI3, I honestly have no idea wheter it's on satellite or
not, my two cents would be on no.
Rai has a sport satellite channel, which can also be watched on the net,
it's RaiSportSat, here's the main webpage:
http://www.raisport.rai.it/sportindex
but I have no idea at the moment about where olympics will be
broadcasted: I think they will be quite careful because of rights...

--
beorn
"You've got to learn to crawl
Old January 30th 06, 07:24 PM

Too bad about no good TV coverage. I'm sure some nil-nil football match
was more important than one of the biggest citizens races in the world.
Anyhow, I'd still have liked to watch those poor *******s make that
last 5k climb. The 2004 race was the one in which Anders Aukland and
Giorgio di Centa traded the lead until, on that climb, the Italian
stopped to rewax and Aukland - who had no grip at all - DP'ed all the
way to the finish. Stunning. (It's still out there at
ftp://mpeg-races.kicks-ass.org/pub2/Marcialonga-04)

I hope this year's Vasaloppet is as good...

Old January 30th 06, 09:42 PM

Yes - I honestly watch that race and can think of no other sporting
event that I have seen where the athletes had to dig as deep and fight
as hard. I my mind it is just EPIC. Of course there must be events that
compare but I have not seen them. Whether I am trail running, cycling
or skiing I carry that event in my mind. When I am ready to pull back I
can look to the 2004 Marcialonga and ask myself, "are you really
done, or are you defeated?"

/john

Old January 31st 06, 11:29 AM

tassava wrote:

Too bad about no good TV coverage. I'm sure some nil-nil football match
was more important than one of the biggest citizens races in the world.

of course, welcome to italy :-(

Anyhow, I'd still have liked to watch those poor *******s make that
last 5k climb. The 2004 race was the one in which Anders Aukland and
Giorgio di Centa traded the lead until, on that climb, the Italian
stopped to rewax and Aukland - who had no grip at all - DP'ed all the
way to the finish. Stunning.

definetively! :-)

I hope this year's Vasaloppet is as good...

I hope to run it once! :-P

--
beorn
"You've got to learn to crawl
Old February 1st 06, 10:37 PM

I see theres now a torrent for this years race.

Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 4 January 6th 05 05:16 AM
Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 2 January 4th 05 07:08 PM
MARCIALONGA! Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 10 January 28th 04 06:38 AM
Marcialonga Result Davide Tosi Nordic Skiing 1 January 25th 04 10:37 PM
Marcialonga Sunday 25 January taywood Nordic Skiing 0 January 22nd 04 11:52 PM