computer network question - terje? well OT !!

Old June 10th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff and Stephanie Kalember

Default computer network question - terje? well OT !!

sorry, i know i'm off topic, but dont want to post this on some computer
newsgroup where i dont know anyone.

I teach a school where they allow teachers ONE gig of network space to back
up important files.
I have over 6-7 gig of information in pictures and powerpoints i want to
save.
Our computer people tell me that they can't have everyone with one gig (99%
of our teachers need only that much) and only one or two people with 6-7
gig. I said they just don't want to change the policy and they're being
lazy or bullheaded. What do you think. Can they give me 6-7 gig of network
space with a just a couple mouse clicks??

JKal.

Old June 10th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Jeff and Stephanie Kalember wrote:
sorry, i know i'm off topic, but dont want to post this on some computer
newsgroup where i dont know anyone.

I teach a school where they allow teachers ONE gig of network space to back
up important files.
I have over 6-7 gig of information in pictures and powerpoints i want to
save.
Our computer people tell me that they can't have everyone with one gig (99%
of our teachers need only that much) and only one or two people with 6-7
gig. I said they just don't want to change the policy and they're being
lazy or bullheaded. What do you think. Can they give me 6-7 gig of network
space with a just a couple mouse clicks??

Well, obviously they can, but do you really want to trust your important
files to people like these?

I bought a (second) personal domain a1.5 years ago and placed it on
Dreamhost, where they charged me about $7/month for an initial 500 GB.

That half a TB grows automatically, so even though I've used it to
backup a lot of important stuff (like 50 GB of NRK xc & biathlon
transmissions), I still have more than 500 GB of free space.

The stuff I really care about I keep on multiple external USB disks in
addition to this network backup.

Terje

--
-
Old June 11th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

Thanks Terje.
No I really don't trust these people to handle it and i have backed up
my information/pics on my own via DVD and jump/flash drives.
But, for me this matter is simply bugging me on principal. Many
teacher need far less than one gig of network space for text files,
tests quizzes, etc. I teach a biology course where i use several
thousand pictures of plants, organisms, etc that I have taken and that
is what i want backed up on our school network. Considering we have
aoubt 250 teacher they only need 250 gig of actual network space.
They say my request for 6 gig is excessive. Come on !! tha'ts
ridiculous, i know.

but thanks.

they say they can't easily change my allowable space to 6 gig when
everyone else is at one gig easily. yeah right.

JKal.

Old June 11th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

32 Degrees B wrote:
Thanks Terje.
No I really don't trust these people to handle it and i have backed up
my information/pics on my own via DVD and jump/flash drives.
But, for me this matter is simply bugging me on principal. Many
teacher need far less than one gig of network space for text files,
tests quizzes, etc. I teach a biology course where i use several
thousand pictures of plants, organisms, etc that I have taken and that
is what i want backed up on our school network. Considering we have
aoubt 250 teacher they only need 250 gig of actual network space.
They say my request for 6 gig is excessive. Come on !! tha'ts
ridiculous, i know.

It is. If you can show any kind of school-related usage for these files,
then it shouldn't even be a question, it should simply be a matter of
pointing at the biology curriculum and the need for making the data
available.

Try again, but go over the heads of the IT people if you have to.

If that don't work, ask for $10/month to setup a separate domain with
all your stuff and use this to show that the internal cost of your
current setup is extremely excessive.

Even 50 GB/teacher is so cheap these days that it is _much_ more
expensive to spend any time trying to figure out what can be deleted.

Terje

--
-