Last ski, best ski... now what?

Old March 28th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
rungirl4u

Default Last ski, best ski... now what?

Jeff-

I just had to let you know that I woke up to fresh snow this morning
and it is currently still snowing ...

I do believe I'll be getting in another ski this weekend! Come on
over!

robin
Old March 28th 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Wily Coyote

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Wily Coyote wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
Wily Coyote wrote:
I've often wondered what it would be like, to live someplace where you
could ski every day of the winter; after work during the week, and all
weekend. I don't think I'd ever get tired of it. And like you
mentioned, the price of gasoline is starting to factor into those
160-mile RT's (closest Nordic areas to Denver require that much
driving).
I've wondered about living on the ski trails, too. The 450 round trip to
Tahoe isn't cheap. Not to mention the restaurant and bar tab ;-)

-Bob

There was a great thread on here a few years ago, about the best XC ski
towns. After reading all the posts, I recall thinking that the Hayward,
WI area might be Nordic nirvana. Duluth got high marks, also, I believe.
Out

Hmmm, a case of selective memory?

I definitely remember Oslo coming out pretty high up on that list. :-)

Oh, you meant "Continental US only"? :-)

Terje
--
-

Sorry, Terje, I didn't mean to exclude THE all-time greatest ski town in the
world. If you know how I could "retire" there, at least for a little while,
I'm all ears. According to M. Michael Brady in "Living and Working in
Norway," you have to meet certain criteria to obtain a residence permit
(Oppholdstillatelse) in order to stay for more than three months (without
working). Of course, perhaps I could just work part-time...

Old March 28th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Wily Coyote wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Hmmm, a case of selective memory?

I definitely remember Oslo coming out pretty high up on that list. :-)

Oh, you meant "Continental US only"? :-)

Sorry, Terje, I didn't mean to exclude THE all-time greatest ski town in the
world. If you know how I could "retire" there, at least for a little while,
I'm all ears. According to M. Michael Brady in "Living and Working in
Norway," you have to meet certain criteria to obtain a residence permit
(Oppholdstillatelse) in order to stay for more than three months (without
working). Of course, perhaps I could just work part-time...

You do need a work permit to stay here indefinitely, and they have
become a little bit harder to get for US citizens, but still _far_
easier than it is for me to get a "green card" to work in the US.

Besides, with the cost of living in Oslo, you probably need to work. :-(

The absolute best option (in a fantasy world) would be to work for
Skiforeningen as a trail setter, or in one of the Nordmarka cabins: Do
some work in the morning, then have the rest of the day off for skiing. :-)

Terje
--
-
Old March 28th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

You got me Terje - Oslo tops Marquette any day. But would Mora or
Falun give Oslo a run for the money?
More trails in Oslo ... probably, i bet.

JKal.

Old March 28th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

32 Degrees B wrote:
You got me Terje - Oslo tops Marquette any day. But would Mora or
Falun give Oslo a run for the money?
More trails in Oslo ... probably, i bet.

A _lot_ more trails, the official number is 2600 km according to
Skiforeningen, i.e. the trails maintained by them.

There are of course "wild" trails up&down to the top of more or less
every single hill in Nordmarka.

On a really bad snow year we've had to drive 20 min to the northern end
of Sørkedalen, then carry our skis for ~10 mins to get to the skiable
trailhead, but from that point we have multiple trails and can ski all
day before returning.

In the final weeks of the season, skiers will drive to the north end of
Nordmarka, to Ringkollen, where the snow lasts another month.

Terje

--
-
Old March 29th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

rungirl4u writes:

rungirl4u Jeff-
rungirl4u I just had to let you know that I woke up to fresh snow this morning
rungirl4u and it is currently still snowing ...

rungirl4u I do believe I'll be getting in another ski this weekend! Come on
rungirl4u over!

I had a great, but far too short, day at Waterville Valley today. Sadly I cannot
make it out this weekend, but I hope for a full day there on Monday. Today we had
four fresh inches on top of a deep base. Wonderful.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)
Old March 29th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mark Drela

I had a great, but far too short, day at Waterville Valley today.

I'm going to WV tomorrow (Sunday).
Long-term forecast for next weekend also looks good.

Old March 30th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Mark Drela writes:

I had a great, but far too short, day at Waterville Valley today.

Mark I'm going to WV tomorrow (Sunday).
Mark Long-term forecast for next weekend also looks good.

I could not make it this weekend due to family commitments, but
I will be going for a full day tomorrow. It will take some good
grooming after this week's rain and high temps, but they are supposed
to be very good at grooming...

Old April 1st 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mark Drela

In article , gr writes:
Just had what was probably the last ski of the season down in the NYS
Finger Lakes (Harriet Hollister Rec Area).

The conditions at Waterville were incredible on Sunday -- best I've seen all year.
They still have about 2 feet of dense snow on the trails, with more snow tomorrow,
but next weekend looks sketchy. Bretton Woods closed already.