Vasaloppet 2008

Old March 1st 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Daniel

Default Vasaloppet 2008

Tomorrow it's time for 84th Vasaloppet. Last year this great race was
available on torrent, is there anybody who will be able to make a
torrent also this year? Probably some scandinavian tv will show
Vasaloppet, but in Poland where I am it's impossible to watch this
race.
Old March 1st 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

I'll second that request daniel, i'd love to see the race, or just
parts, or just the start, or just the finish, or ... well, anything !
JKal.

Old March 1st 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

On Mar 1, 12:55 pm, Daniel wrote:
Tomorrow it's time for 84th Vasaloppet. Last year this great race was
available on torrent, is there anybody who will be able to make a
torrent also this year? Probably some scandinavian tv will show
Vasaloppet, but in Poland where I am it's impossible to watch this
race.

I'd love to see this race, too - the hype has been immense with both
Auklands, Tynell, Svaerd, Ahrlin, Frode Estil, and Mathias Fredriksson
all due to race. I've asked a techologically-savvy Swede about this,
and he said he'd try to record it from TV. It also appears that SVT is
webcasting the entire race, so perhaps someone stateside (or at least
outside Sweden) could try to capture the stream?
http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?...26&lpos=lasMer

Christopher

Old March 2nd 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

results posted on VASALOPPET website ...
http://www.resultat.vasaloppet.se/va...01&lengt h=10

jkal.

Old March 2nd 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Kelley

On Mar 2, 7:23*am, 32 Degrees B wrote:
results posted on VASALOPPET website ...http://www.resultat.vasaloppet.se/va...lt/lead?statio...

jkal.

On Mar 1, 7:27*pm, tassava wrote:

On Mar 1, 12:55 pm, Daniel wrote:

Tomorrow it's time for 84th Vasaloppet. Last year this great race was
available on torrent, is there anybody who will be able to make a
torrent also this year? Probably some scandinavian tv will show
Vasaloppet, but in Poland where I am it's impossible to watch this
race.

I'd love to see this race, too - the hype has been immense with both
Auklands, Tynell, Svaerd, Ahrlin, Frode Estil, and Mathias Fredriksson
all due to race. I've asked a techologically-savvy Swede about this,
and he said he'd try to record it from TV. It also appears that SVT is
webcasting the entire race, so perhaps someone stateside (or at least
outside Sweden) could try to capture the stream?http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?...26&lpos=lasMer

Christopher- Hide quoted text -

I got up at 1 AM our time to watch the start on the link above but
couldn't get the page to load. It loaded before I went to bed though.
Anyway, I'm watching it right now as the 9+ hour skiers are coming
across. Must have been a fun race to watch with Jorgen winning. I
predict Markus Leijon will win it within 5 years. He's the young kid
from Mora who held the lead for a while in the 2006 race before fading
- 9th this year.
Old March 2nd 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

Interesting race this year Jim. the pack held together for the first
half of the race as usual, but then by about 60k it was a one man
race. Looks like Anders held on for a bit but Jorgen won by a
relatively HUGE margin compared to past vasaloppets. good result for
Thomas Alsgaard too - being "retired" and still finishing 6th !!

JKal.

On Mar 1, 7:27*pm, tassava wrote:

On Mar 1, 12:55 pm, Daniel wrote:

[...]

- 9th this year.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 3rd 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

32 Degrees B wrote:
Interesting race this year Jim. the pack held together for the first

Not quite, I watched parts of it in the morning, and the 4-man group
that got away before Evertsberg looked to be very strong, with 3
Norwegians and one Swede (Jerry Arlin).

The Norwegian commentators knew that Jerry had skate skis, double-poling
all the way, and that the Auckland brothers both had a short rubbed area
instead of grip wax. With Anders Myrland from Norway the last person in
this group, Jerry must have felt quite lonesome, but he looked extremely
strong at this point, easily powering away 5-10 m each time he took the
lead, and with Myrdal the obvious trailing skier in the group.

half of the race as usual, but then by about 60k it was a one man
race. Looks like Anders held on for a bit but Jorgen won by a
relatively HUGE margin compared to past vasaloppets. good result for
Thomas Alsgaard too - being "retired" and still finishing 6th !!

He got 5th didn't he, behind Jerry and Oscar Svärd (those are names to
conjure with in this race!)

Looking at the split times it is obvious that Thomas did a _very_ strong
race, nearly keeping up with Jørgen A over the last 20 k and beating
almost everyone else.

BTW, I know many Swedes, including one of the SVT commentators, were
hoping this would be the year when Jørgen finally got to win the race,
after 5 previous podium finishes in a row.

No matter how you look at the results, this was by far the best year
ever for Norway:

1,2,5,8! :-)

Terje

--
-
Old March 3rd 08, 09:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

On Mar 3, 1:02 am, Terje Mathisen
wrote:
32 Degrees B wrote:
[...]

SVT has a truly ludicrous number of clips of race action, both the
leaders at various checkpoints and "man on the track" interviews. The
main listing is he
http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/share...lpos =extra_2

(Or follow the links Start / Sport / Skidor / Vasaloppet)

I'll try to post direct links to some of the better stuff later.

Christopher
Old March 3rd 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Kelley

main listing is hehttp://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/share....jsp?&d=82122&...

(Or follow the links *Start / Sport / Skidor / Vasaloppet)

I'll try to post direct links to some of the better stuff later.

Christopher- Hide quoted text -

They have 2 different clips that appear to be the entire race broken
up into 2+hours each. I tried capturing the stream using Replay AV8
but for some reason it stops recording after 2-3 seconds. Not sure if
the buffering of the stream causes it to stop recording or what.
Anyone else try Replay that might have a guess why its not working?
Old March 3rd 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Terje Mathisen wrote:

The Norwegian commentators knew that Jerry had skate skis, double-poling
all the way, and that the Auckland brothers both had a short rubbed area
instead of grip wax. With Anders Myrland from Norway the last person in

What do you mean by short rubbed area?

rm

2008 Birkie Jay W Nordic Skiing 9 February 28th 08 11:11 AM
Marcialonga 2008 tassava Nordic Skiing 6 January 28th 08 01:26 PM
RTL Biathlon 2008 [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 December 8th 07 07:21 PM
2007-2008 World Cup tassava Nordic Skiing 0 May 30th 07 02:50 AM
Mpeg Races: Vasaloppet start and pre vasaloppet Janne G Nordic Skiing 0 March 10th 05 09:11 AM