Winter Park trip followup

Old April 10th 05, 04:27 PM
Dean

Default Winter Park trip followup

No helicopters. A British invasion. And powder.

I had impatiently waited a year to board untracked, fresh powder, and
Colorado delivered 6"-8" on Tuesday, April 5, while I was there. I had
next to zero experience with powder. I was very, very happy and had a
great time. I'll be looking for a snowcat trip next winter, far away
from groomed runs and crowds.

I'm ready to hop on an airplane back to Colorado. Another, larger, storm
is dropping more snow right now.

British Invasion: Perhaps Champ can help with this question. Did
everyone run from the U.K. last week to escape *the* wedding? According
to my ears, about 2/3's of Winter Park's visitors were from the U.K.
last week.

Dean
Old April 11th 05, 11:14 AM
Switters

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:27:02 GMT, Dean allegedly
wrote:

British Invasion: Perhaps Champ can help with this question. Did
everyone run from the U.K. last week to escape *the* wedding? According
to my ears, about 2/3's of Winter Park's visitors were from the U.K.
last week.

What wedding? As for the invasion, it was the Easter break when a lot of
people take time off to be with their kids etc. It tends to get busy
everywhere. Even in the UK.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old April 11th 05, 09:28 PM
TURBOROCCO

Cool. Glad you had a good time. I was going up today but the roads were to
bad for my car. It sucks but I'll hit it up tomorrow.. w00t

Old April 13th 05, 06:32 AM
Waco Paco

wrote:

British Invasion: Perhaps Champ can help with this question. Did
everyone run from the U.K. last week to escape *the* wedding? According
to my ears, about 2/3's of Winter Park's visitors were from the U.K.
last week.

What wedding? As for the invasion, it was the Easter break when a lot of
people take time off to be with their kids etc. It tends to get busy
everywhere. Even in the UK.

- Dave.

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles wedding...
Old April 13th 05, 08:20 AM
Switters

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:32:50 GMT, Waco Paco
allegedly wrote:

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles wedding...

Yeah, I remembered when I next heard the news.

Old April 13th 05, 08:46 PM
todd

Sweet. Glad you had good conditions. As you've now discovered, boards
were made for powder...

Old April 13th 05, 09:59 PM
Dean

todd wrote:

As you've now discovered, boards
were made for powder...

Many (many) years ago I did a lot of cross country skiing. I didn't
follow trails then and I still prefer to make first tracks. I just don't
have the opportunity to do so very often.

New snow fell Monday night. On Tuesday some people were quitting because
they didn't like the powder. I thought the powder was great and didn't
have any problems with it, but the deepest was only about 8".

I re-read the Baldface article in "Frequency" and checked the web site.
It sounds great, and is something that I'd like to do. But I think I
need to improve my skills. But I can only get to a mountain a few days a
year. The local hills are short and have straight runs.

I checked the unresort guide but all of the businesses appear to only
cater to experts. Given my age, location and one bad knee, I don't know
if I'll ever become an expert. But I'd like to get off the groomers more
often. What are my options? I tried to get info from Keystone about its
new cat service, but the people I called couldn't answer my questions,
and I never received the info I was told was being mailed to me. Does
anyone cater to intermediates (no 40 foot cliffs, less than 89 degree
incline)?

Dean
Old April 14th 05, 07:55 PM
todd

Dean - I'm not sure where you live or your budget for trips - but I
find I can travel and lodge in utah very affordably (posts here about
that). Ski at your local area and once or twice a year when a cheap
airfare crops up, run out to utah for a long weekend. If you don't
luck into a storm, fresh powder can always be found in the trees.
There are trees/powder of all pitches so it is easy to get that
experience without the fear of cliffs. As you start seeking out powder
with a friend you'll undoubtedly find yourself stuck in the flats on
occasion and having to dig yourself out, but its all worth it in the
end. Even better when searching for powder...travel with a
skier...send them on ahead to make sure you don't get stuck in a
gulley. They can easily traverse back out and if you both get stuck,
you're buddy will make tracks for you to follow!

You can of course do the same thing in Colorado. Lately I have just
found cheaper lodging and more consistent dry snow in Utah. (go there,
visit powder mountain, grab a free guide and tell him what you're
looking to find!)

In short, except for the times you catch a storm, you will rarely find
powder on the mapped trails. Sounds like you're comfortable
exporing...you just have to get yourself to more places that will yield
results.

-t

Old April 15th 05, 11:24 AM
Champ

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:27:02 GMT, Dean wrote:

British Invasion: Perhaps Champ can help with this question. Did
everyone run from the U.K. last week to escape *the* wedding? According
to my ears, about 2/3's of Winter Park's visitors were from the U.K.
last week.

I dunno about avoiding the wedding - it was pretty easy to avoid if
you kept the TV off (actually, I avoided it myself by going to Prague
for the weekend, but that's a different story).

Anyway, what week was this? Dave reckons it was because of Easter,
which it could be if people had booked 2 weeks - ime, most people from
the UK book at least 10 days, and often 2 weeks, for US ski trips.
And of course, we get lots more holiday time than you guys :-)
--
Champ
Old April 27th 05, 05:00 PM
Dean

todd wrote:
You can of course do the same thing in Colorado.

Last week I checked the weather forecast daily for A-Basin. The early
forecast was for rain or rain/snow. By last Friday it said "snow, 10-15
inches", so off I went to Colorado. A-Basin delivered. It wasn't dry
snow, but it was snow. The official count for Sunday night was 10", but
I found snow that was knee deep, which was a new and fun (and tiring at
13,000') experience.

Lately I have just
found cheaper lodging and more consistent dry snow in Utah. (go there,
visit powder mountain, grab a free guide and tell him what you're
looking to find!)

Utah is on my plans for next year. Powder Mountain is a place I've been
looking at since learning about it earlier this winter. A free guide? I
didn't see anything on the web site about that.

Dean