Ski Instructor Job advice

Old September 22nd 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Peter M

Default Ski Instructor Job advice

Hi maybe the board is not too active at this time of year but I hope you can
help.
My son has just got his BASI 2 and intends to use his Gap year teaching if
possible.
Any advice as to the best way or contacts for this would be appreciated.
Which countries are a no no. France I know but Austria?
Any help in pointing him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

Old September 23rd 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Peter M" wrote in message
Hi maybe the board is not too active at this time of year but I hope you
can help.
My son has just got his BASI 2 and intends to use his Gap year teaching if
possible.
Any advice as to the best way or contacts for this would be appreciated.
Which countries are a no no. France I know but Austria?
Any help in pointing him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

How are his language skills? If he can't speak the local language he is
effectively limited to British based ski schools or Andorra in Europe. Of
course US or Canada are good alternatives - though visas would be needed so
time is critical - see if BUNAC have any year long working visas left.

--
Paul S

Old September 25th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Peter M

Yeah, language is the problem. GCSE French at best I'm afraid. Already
looking at Andorra which could be the best bet.

Old September 25th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

...snip

My son has just got his BASI 2 and intends to use his Gap year teaching
if possible.
Any advice as to the best way or contacts for this would be appreciated.
Which countries are a no no. France I know but Austria?
Any help in pointing him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

How are his language skills? If he can't speak the local language he is
effectively limited to British based ski schools or Andorra in Europe. Of
course US or Canada are good alternatives - though visas would be needed
so time is critical - see if BUNAC have any year long working visas left.

--

Yeah, language is the problem. GCSE French at best I'm afraid. Already
looking at Andorra which could be the best bet.

I've previously spoken to the ski school director there, so I know language
isn't an issue. There is an acclimatisation/assessment week held in
December. Alternatively you could try some of the school trip organisers -
however AIUI your son probably won't be guaranteed work through the whole
season - usually feast or famine depending on number of schools/pupils at
the resort. I think that www.natives.co.uk has links for them.

Actually I think most ski schools don't guarantee work, so early season can
be a struggle financially.

HTH

--
Paul S

Old October 1st 09, 09:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Paul S wrote:

"Peter M" wrote in message

Hi maybe the board is not too active at this time of year but I hope
you can help.
My son has just got his BASI 2 and intends to use his Gap year
teaching if possible.
Any advice as to the best way or contacts for this would be appreciated.
Which countries are a no no. France I know but Austria?
Any help in pointing him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

How are his language skills? If he can't speak the local language he is
effectively limited to British based ski schools or Andorra in Europe.
Of course US or Canada are good alternatives - though visas would be
needed so time is critical - see if BUNAC have any year long working
visas left.

I was in Andora last Easter and speaking to a number of English ski
instructors there I gather they had had a bad season with only a few
weeks work each. Many were quitting so there may be an oppurtunity for
your son.

John
Old October 5th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:40:14 +0100, "Peter M"
wrote:

Hi maybe the board is not too active at this time of year but I hope you can
help.
My son has just got his BASI 2 and intends to use his Gap year teaching if
possible.

Was he on the Peak Leaders trip to Argentina? If so, say hello from
Judith (my wife) who was on the same course, and from me (Bruce) who
joined them for the last two weeks.

Any advice as to the best way or contacts for this would be appreciated.
Which countries are a no no. France I know but Austria?
Any help in pointing him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Austria should be fine, I think, and even in France it's possible to
work with the level 2 qualification, although only, I think, as a
'Stagier' with one of the established ski schools. This is a trainee
status within the French system and can be kept for a maximum of three
years. But really unusual for non-Frogs. I know of one who did it, but
he was living and known in resort for some years beforehand.

Of the other European ski countries, I know that CH and Italy should
be OK, and Andorra is quite a popular choice, as they have a _lot_ of
british clients there. I suspect the smaller countries will also
accept the BASI lev 2, but can't be sure.
Old October 6th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Peter M

Hi John,
thanks for you input. We are trying everywhere. USA and Canada are last
resort(sic) but Andorra we are hoping for. It maybe that we have to wait for
some to drop out before we can fill their places.

Old October 6th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Peter M

Hi Bruce,
strangely my son was in Argentina last year but on a Rugby tour not
Park leaders trip. So sorry it wasn't him.
Thanks for your input. Interesting about the French thing I thought it was a
closed shop. We have almost exhausted central Europe only Slovakia and
Bulgaria to try. All schools appear to be fully staffed but we will
persevere

Old March 25th 10, 08:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Peter M" wrote in message
Hi maybe the board is not too active at this time of year but I hope you
can help.
My son has just got his BASI 2 and intends to use his Gap year teaching if
possible.
Any advice as to the best way or contacts for this would be appreciated.
Which countries are a no no. France I know but Austria?
Any help in pointing him in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

Hi Peter - I was wondering how your son got on with his quest to become a
ski instructor. Did he have any success?

--
Paul S