Phil Mahre weighs in on the effort.

Old February 28th 06, 03:25 AM

Morey Malbash wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

dizzy wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:YIEMf.7426$UN1.6354@trndny08...

BTW, here's a little perspective for you. In 2002, the US alpine

team won

a total of two Olympic medals, both silvers. This year, the team

won two

golds. It's not what they wanted to do, so...who shall we blame?

Bode,

for not winning five gold medals, as some idjits expected?

A blast from the past:
"Super G: Podium is Bode, Daron, Svindal, in no particular order but

with

the win going to Bode or Daron.
GS: Podium is Raich, Bode, and either Daron or Blardone, in no
particular order."

What's your point?

That it's what YOU said, you ranting bitch:

Oh, the sock puppet called me a bitch! Uppity woman dares to speak up,
gotta slap the bitch down!

Here's a blast from the past for you, dizzymoreyrhubarb: that was part
of a series of posts in which people made their _guesses_ about podiums
and/or winners. It wasn't an expectation.

Old February 28th 06, 11:48 AM

Morey Malbash wrote:
That it's what YOU said, you ranting bitch:

Oh, the sock puppet called me a bitch! Uppity woman dares to speak up,
gotta slap the bitch down!

LOL. Just for the record, this sock puppet isn't my creation. Really nasty
language but a witty name.

Here's a blast from the past for you, dizzymoreyrhubarb: that was part of
a series of posts in which people made their _guesses_ about podiums
and/or winners. It wasn't an expectation.

It was your _prediction_, whatever that means.

Old February 28th 06, 05:23 PM

dizzy wrote:

A blast from the past:
"Super G: Podium is Bode, Daron, Svindal, in no particular order but with
the win going to Bode or Daron.
GS: Podium is Raich, Bode, and either Daron or Blardone, in no
particular order."

That was the way to bet at the time.
If another race on those courses was held today, that'd STILL be the way
to bet.

Did you have a point? Other than Mary knows something about handicapping
ski racing?
Old March 1st 06, 10:19 AM

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. net...
dizzy wrote:

A blast from the past:
"Super G: Podium is Bode, Daron, Svindal, in no particular order but with
the win going to Bode or Daron.
GS: Podium is Raich, Bode, and either Daron or Blardone, in no
particular order."

That was the way to bet at the time.
If another race on those courses was held today, that'd STILL be the way
to bet.

.... and probably the second quickest way to lose money.

Did you have a point? Other than Mary knows something about handicapping
ski racing?

Yes, I do. You cannot be taken serious if you're predicting podium places
for Miller and Rahlves and thereafter call people idiots for having similiar
expectations.

Old March 1st 06, 12:11 PM

dizzy wrote:

A blast from the past:
"Super G: Podium is Bode, Daron, Svindal, in no particular order but with
the win going to Bode or Daron.
GS: Podium is Raich, Bode, and either Daron or Blardone, in no
particular order."

That was the way to bet at the time.
If another race on those courses was held today, that'd STILL be the way
to bet.

... and probably the second quickest way to lose money.

Did you have a point? Other than Mary knows something about handicapping
ski racing?

Yes, I do. You cannot be taken serious if you're predicting podium places
for Miller and Rahlves and thereafter call people idiots for having similiar
expectations.

You need a dictionary, son. You need a dictionary _bad_. Start with
the word "bandwagon". It's a conveyance that certain people jump on
once the loud music finally alerts them of the fact that something is
happening, and that they abandon with loud recriminations when things go
less than perfectly.

Old March 1st 06, 12:33 PM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
What it means, among other things, is that I wasn't going to get my
knickers in a knot if things didn't turn out that way. Although I heard
Marty tried to slash his wrists because Janica didn't win five golds ;-)

Hats off to Janica. Defended her combined gold and SG silver. Missed the SL
podium for just 15/100 of a second. And all that being seriously sick, for
what reason she even didn't enter the DH and GS events. That's what I call a
true champion. Being able to repeatedly peak at biggest events. Just like
Aamodt.

Old March 1st 06, 12:44 PM

Yes, I do. You cannot be taken serious if you're predicting podium places
for Miller and Rahlves and thereafter call people idiots for having
similiar expectations.

You need a dictionary, son. You need a dictionary _bad_. Start with the
word "bandwagon". It's a conveyance that certain people jump on once the
loud music finally alerts them of the fact that something is happening,
and that they abandon with loud recriminations when things go less than
perfectly.

Ever heard of the word "logic"? It is the study of the principles of
reasoning, especially of the structure of propositions as distinguished from
their content and of method and validity in deductive reasoning. Reading
tons of ski magazines won't help you much.

Old March 1st 06, 12:56 PM

dizzy wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

Yes, I do. You cannot be taken serious if you're predicting podium places
for Miller and Rahlves and thereafter call people idiots for having
similiar expectations.

You need a dictionary, son. You need a dictionary _bad_. Start with the
word "bandwagon". It's a conveyance that certain people jump on once the
loud music finally alerts them of the fact that something is happening,
and that they abandon with loud recriminations when things go less than
perfectly.

Ever heard of the word "logic"? It is the study of the principles of
reasoning, especially of the structure of propositions as distinguished from
their content and of method and validity in deductive reasoning. Reading
tons of ski magazines won't help you much.

If your "logic" doesn't tell you the difference between a prediction
based on knowledge of a sport, and an unreasonable expectation formed by
negligible experience and a foolish impulse to jump on a media
bandwagon, then it's not good for very much.

Old March 1st 06, 02:43 PM

dizzy wrote:

Sure they must have been reasonable because they were based on the knowledge
of a sport, nothing like those of unexperienced media people.

I don't need a byline in the Boston Globe to know more about ski racing
than Tony Chamberlain, dizzy.

Old March 2nd 06, 06:51 AM

dizzy wrote:

Sure they must have been reasonable because they were based on the
knowledge of a sport, nothing like those of unexperienced media people.

I don't need a byline in the Boston Globe to know more about ski racing
than Tony Chamberlain, dizzy.

Their job is to sell stories people are willing to buy and they do it well.
Otoh your job seem to be selling lame excuses few people are wiling to buy.
That doesn't qualify for a byline.