Colly Epic Chapter Two

Old March 6th 06, 10:34 PM

Default Colly Epic Chapter Two

Well the big news is that my computer took a terminal dump. The screen
is dead and it seems it would be half the cost of a new laptop to
replace or repair just the screen. Instead of engrossing myself in
descriptions of my exploits at the end of each day, I'll be relegated
to using internet cafes from time to time or, as the case is now, the
hotel's comp.

So here is a much truncated version of my last week or so.

After my last day in Summit County, Wifey and I headed to the land
where my heart is, Winter Park. I do love this place, town and
mountain. I skied there six days or so. Fun was had, friends were
made, no new snow to speak of. Lots of sun, sun and more sun.

The Chubbs are definitely my first choice out of the quiver for almost
all conditions.

I'm now back in Frisco for the next five days. I skied ABasin today in
45-50 degrees, mixed sun and clouds. The snow was ok, I was not. I
felt like my boots were on the wrong feet or something. I decided to
call it a short day before I hurt myself.

We're hoping that the "Next Big Storm" smiles on us and leaves a bunch
of the new that LAL has been grinning about. Hopes are for a foot and
a half by Thursday.

Fingers crossed,
Chris

Old March 6th 06, 11:59 PM

bumpfreaq wrote:
We're hoping that the "Next Big Storm" smiles on us and leaves a bunch
of the new that LAL has been grinning about. Hopes are for a foot and
a half by Thursday.

Don't overlook Cu.

JP
**********************************
Powder? Straight to the A.

Old March 7th 06, 04:51 PM

bumpfreaq wrote:

Well the big news is that my computer took a terminal dump. The screen
is dead and it seems it would be half the cost of a new laptop to
replace or repair just the screen. Instead of engrossing myself in
descriptions of my exploits at the end of each day, I'll be relegated
to using internet cafes from time to time or, as the case is now, the
hotel's comp.

I just resigned myself that I wouldn't waste time on the computer whilst
in the mountains. Thus, no reports from Walt over the eight days in
Colorado. Now that I'm back it's probably time to do a TR.

So here is a much truncated version of my last week or so.

After my last day in Summit County, Wifey and I headed to the land
where my heart is, Winter Park. I do love this place, town and
mountain. I skied there six days or so. Fun was had, friends were
made, no new snow to speak of. Lots of sun, sun and more sun.

Hmmmm. You didn't get the snow on Wednesday, Mar 1st? Six to ten
inches at BC - perhaps not an epic powder day, but powder nonetheless.

Actually, it was the best powder day thus far in my short powder career.
Looking froward to more.

I'm now back in Frisco for the next five days. I skied ABasin today in
45-50 degrees, mixed sun and clouds. The snow was ok, I was not. I
felt like my boots were on the wrong feet or something. I decided to
call it a short day before I hurt myself.

I know what you mean; we all have days like that. Or at least I do.
For instance, last Saturday when we tried to ski together - you were
skiing, I was flailing. It happens.

We're hoping that the "Next Big Storm" smiles on us and leaves a bunch
of the new that LAL has been grinning about. Hopes are for a foot and
a half by Thursday.

Good luck. Bite me if it happens.

//Walt
Old March 7th 06, 05:21 PM

Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:

Hmmmm. You didn't get the snow on Wednesday, Mar 1st? Six to ten
inches at BC - perhaps not an epic powder day, but powder nonetheless.

No, we got three inches on top of frozen slush. That was a challenging
day for me, but I enjoyed it.

Actually, it was the best powder day thus far in my short powder career.
Looking froward to more.

We're hoping that the "Next Big Storm" smiles on us and leaves a bunch
of the new that LAL has been grinning about. Hopes are for a foot and
a half by Thursday.

Good luck. Bite me if it happens.

//Walt

Predictions have been upped to 20" possible...... but I've heard a lot
more predictions than I've seen fresh snow so far this trip. My best
powder day this year has been at lovely Mt. Bohemia.

Hey did I tell you about the little girl I rode the chair with at BC
before we met up? I was in the singles line and slid in to the left of
an ~8 year old girl who was to the left of two adult men. I sat down
and as the chair started to pick up speed I saw that the girl had never
gotten her butt properly on the seat. she was dangling by her pink back
pack and one of the guys had a death grip on her upper arm. He wasn't,
however, in a good position to pull her onto the chair so he just
dropped her before we got too high.

I had figured that she was with them, but come to find out, she was all
alone. I waited at the top for twenty or so chairs to see if she got
back on and maybe needed some help locating her friends/family. She
never showed.

Then....... a few days later at Winter Park, a very similar thing
happened, but it was a boy a bit younger who fell off the chair in
front of me. They stopped the lift and asked his parents (who had been
on either side of him) if they wanted to get him back on their chair.
They said, "no, just give us his poles and he can ride on the next
chair." Just then the next peeps in line, a parental looking couple,
said he was welcome to ride with them. I was really hoping this would
happen as I have no experience with kids and no want gain experience.
The boy was crying up a storm (figuratively, damn it) but the lifty was
pretty calming and quieted him down as he put the boy next to me on the
chair.

Turns out the kid was pretty cool and we got along well on our ride up.
This was my second chair of the day. When last chair of the day
rolled around, who did I spy in the empty maze but the same family. We
all rode up together, the boy was real happy to see me, the whole
family knew my name and a good bit of my story and high fives were
given all around.

Yahoo for skiing families.

Chris

TR: Colly Epic bumpfreaq Alpine Skiing 3 March 5th 06 11:25 PM
Heel Push and Toe Push (Chapter 2) Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 0 September 16th 03 02:57 AM