Info on Breckenridge

Old February 8th 06, 04:34 PM

Default Info on Breckenridge

Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone has any
info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

Old February 8th 06, 07:34 PM

dave swenson wrote:
Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone
has any info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

Breck sucks. Altitude is highest in the area leading to early trip
headaches, short breath. The lift system sucks, lift to "bowl" area is a
surface lift. Good party town with nice restaurants, atmosphere. I'd skip it
except for grub & beer. If you want to ski that area, hit Keystone or
A-Basin.

--
I'm Gumby dammit!

Old February 8th 06, 10:51 PM

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:34:09 -0500, "Gumby" wrote:

dave swenson wrote:
Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone
has any info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

Breck sucks. Altitude is highest in the area leading to early trip
headaches, short breath. The lift system sucks, lift to "bowl" area is a
surface lift. Good party town with nice restaurants, atmosphere. I'd skip it
except for grub & beer. If you want to ski that area, hit Keystone or
A-Basin.

?? The Keystone base is an insignificant 300 feet lower than Breck,
and the layout is, IMHO, considerably worse. The A-Basin base is
what, about a thousand feet higher than Breckenridge? And A-Basin
just doesn't offer as much terrain, period. Your gripes about
Breckenridge apply at least as much to Keystone and A-Basin. (And the
top lift being a surface lift is a GOOD thing; less likely to be
closed if the wind kicks up.)

That said, for somebody on their first trip west, I'd say the only
problems with Breckenridge are the altitude (minor problem) and the
potential for crowding (this can be serious). Still a pretty good
choice, depending on what you're looking for....

bw
Old February 9th 06, 12:03 AM

dave swenson wrote:
Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone has any
info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

I enjoyed my visit. Not my cup of tea for skiing, but the town is within
easy driving of several ski areas, some with interchangable ticket
deals, so that's attractive. Pricey fod and lodging, but no different
from any destination resort in that aspect. Snow was lousy, but that was
everywhere in Summit Co. and changes as often as the weathergrin. Nice
enough place for a first trip and the nearness of other areas means you
can explore. Has a bus system to/from slopes so you don't have to drive
in town.
Old February 9th 06, 12:28 AM

dave swenson wrote:

Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone
has any info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

Breck sucks. Altitude is highest in the area leading to early trip
headaches, short breath. The lift system sucks, lift to "bowl" area is a
surface lift. Good party town with nice restaurants, atmosphere. I'd skip it
except for grub & beer. If you want to ski that area, hit Keystone or
A-Basin.

?? The Keystone base is an insignificant 300 feet lower than Breck,
and the layout is, IMHO, considerably worse. The A-Basin base is
what, about a thousand feet higher than Breckenridge? And A-Basin
just doesn't offer as much terrain, period. Your gripes about
Breckenridge apply at least as much to Keystone and A-Basin. (And the
top lift being a surface lift is a GOOD thing; less likely to be
closed if the wind kicks up.)

I think if I were gonna go that high, and suck up the altitude, I'd
prefer A Basin, personally. I liked A Basin a lot; not sure I'd like
Breck any more (I haven't skied there in years). A Basin was beautiful
and very un-zooey.

What in CO's got significantly lower base elevation, anyway?

Old February 9th 06, 12:43 AM

O"dave swenson" said:

Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone
has any info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

You can check my almost-nearly weekly Breck skiing reports (hi Chester)
to see what skiing has been like and see my Breck photo gallery on my
site linked below.

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at http://Powderday.us
Carpe powder-diem

Old February 9th 06, 02:37 AM

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 12:34:04 -0500, "dave swenson"
wrote:

Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone has any
info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

Where do you usually ski? Midwest? East? What sort of terrain do you
like? Does the apres-ski scene matter at all? etcetera....if you've
been skiing the steepest terrain in the East for 20 years, that's one
thing; if you're in your second year of skiing the Midwest, that's
another entirely...

bw
Old February 9th 06, 05:15 AM

Gumby wrote:
dave swenson wrote:
Making first trip out west and Breckenridge was recommened.If anyone
has any info. that could be helpful. Thanks Dave

Breck sucks. Altitude is highest in the area leading to early trip
headaches, short breath. The lift system sucks, lift to "bowl" area is a
surface lift. Good party town with nice restaurants, atmosphere. I'd skip it
except for grub & beer. If you want to ski that area, hit Keystone or
A-Basin.

--
I'm Gumby dammit!

Anyone who likes Keystone over Breck doesn't know how to ski.

nuff said.

Old February 9th 06, 05:29 AM

bdubya wrote:
?? The Keystone base is an insignificant 300 feet lower than Breck,
and the layout is, IMHO, considerably worse. The A-Basin base is
what, about a thousand feet higher than Breckenridge? And A-Basin
just doesn't offer as much terrain, period. Your gripes about
Breckenridge apply at least as much to Keystone and A-Basin. (And the
top lift being a surface lift is a GOOD thing; less likely to be
closed if the wind kicks up.)

Actually with Brecks new Imperial Express lift, it's higher. The Basin
claims over 13,000 ft. but that's not lift served. It's top lift
served is 12,478 ft. Brecks top lift served is now 12,840 ft. And now
you can take the Imperial Express lift higher than the t-bar anyway.
So that arguement is moot. Guess some people can't ride t-bars.

snoig