Fallback Options

Old November 23rd 05, 01:41 PM

AstroPax wrote:

Anyway, mostly dragging the Utah numbers down are the anti-military,
left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan
voters in Summit County (Park City).

Are you sure you're not conflating anti-war with anti-military or are
the residents of Summit County such strict constructionists that they
feel the .mil is unconstitutional? It's difficult for me to believe
Summit County - or any county for that matter - is pro-NAMBLA. Could
you offer some supporting evidence? Personally I think PETA is a little
extreme - fish, for example lack the necessary mechanisms for pain
transmission despite PETA's claims to the contrary, but they don't turn
down the volume on my Ramones so what do I care. Cindy Sheehan is a
grieving mother and the ACLU combats .gov infringements on liberty so I
certainly won't rip either one of them.

If your conjecture is correct - the only thing dragging the Utah
numbers down are the residents of Summit County, then I'm left to
wonder what Bush would have to do to lose the faithful throughout the
rest of Utah - a hummer by an intern, perhaps?

Old November 23rd 05, 03:47 PM

AstroPax wrote:
On 22 Nov 2005 11:19:28 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

Did I make a political point? I believe it a fact that Utah still
supports Bush at a high level.
http://tinyurl.com/csnlh

True. As a matter of fact, Utah is probably *the* most republican
leaning and conservative state in the union.

I could belive that, but of the people I actually met out when I was
there were a higher proportion of left wing anti-war people compared to
all the other places I went to in the states. Most unreliable survey
ever, or just too many right wing mormons who one would never meet out?
Old November 23rd 05, 04:44 PM

AstroPax wrote:
On 22 Nov 2005 11:19:28 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

Did I make a political point? I believe it a fact that Utah still
supports Bush at a high level.
http://tinyurl.com/csnlh

True. As a matter of fact, Utah is probably *the* most republican
leaning and conservative state in the union.

However, with the continuing influx of asshole's from places such as
California, and illegal's from Mexico, the inevitable demographic
shift will, without a doubt, eventually affect the political equation.
But it will take awhile.

Anyway, mostly dragging the Utah numbers down are the anti-military,
left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan
voters in Summit County (Park City).

Well, if Utah goes the way of the infidel, you can always move to South
Carolina: http://www.christianexodus.com/

Enjoy!

//Walt
Old November 23rd 05, 05:04 PM

Walt wrote:
AstroPax wrote:

On 22 Nov 2005 11:19:28 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

Did I make a political point? I believe it a fact that Utah still
supports Bush at a high level.
http://tinyurl.com/csnlh

True. As a matter of fact, Utah is probably *the* most republican
leaning and conservative state in the union.

However, with the continuing influx of asshole's from places such as
California, and illegal's from Mexico, the inevitable demographic
shift will, without a doubt, eventually affect the political equation.
But it will take awhile.

Anyway, mostly dragging the Utah numbers down are the anti-military,
left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan
voters in Summit County (Park City).

Well, if Utah goes the way of the infidel, you can always move to South
Carolina: http://www.christianexodus.com/

Enjoy!

Oh, I love it. Quote the first amendment in your logo and
then go on to state your expressed agenda is to "return"
Christian values to government. Oh, the hubris!!!

The irony meter doesn't just get pinned, it gets blasted
off the face of the dial.
Old November 23rd 05, 05:07 PM

AstroPax wrote:

Anyway, mostly dragging the Utah numbers down are the anti-military,
left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan
voters in Summit County (Park City).

That's weird. I lived in Park City for 13 years and never met one
single anti-military, left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro
PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan voter. What kind of folks are you associating
with? Polygamists?

-klaus

Old November 23rd 05, 06:25 PM

Walt wrote:
Well, if Utah goes the way of the infidel, you can always move to South
Carolina: http://www.christianexodus.com/

Enjoy!

Walt's link references a WND article:
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35420

That article details supposed attacks on Christianity, including this
ditty:

"In Missouri, when fourth-grader Raymond Raines bowed his head in
prayer before his lunch in the cafeteria of Waring Elementary School in
St. Louis, his teacher allegedly ordered him out of his seat, in full
view of other students present, and sent him to the principal's
office. After his third such prayer "offense," little Raymond was
segregated from his classmates, ridiculed for his religious beliefs,
and given one week's detention."

It seemed sketchy so I looked for original sources. It appears to be
based on an American Enterprise story that references this case:

"Raines v. Cleveland Young (1994) Raymond Raines, an elementary school
student in St. Louis, Missouri, was placed in a week-long detention for
bowing his head over his lunch. School officials interrupted the fourth
grader on at least three separate occasions when he attempted to say a
private prayer over his lunch in the Waring School cafeteria. On each
occasion, Raines was taken to the principal's office and told to stop
praying over his lunch."

I can find no original sources that reference Raines v. Cleveland
Young. I suspect neither can American Enterprise. They deleted it from
their website. I was able to source it thanks to Google cache:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:HlSFnOoD3iQJ:www.taemag.com/printVersion/print_article.asp%3FarticleID%3D16467+%22Raymond+R aines%22+prayer&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_de

If this is indeed an actual case, I'd love to see the majority opinion.

Jeff

Old November 23rd 05, 06:27 PM

klaus wrote:
AstroPax wrote:

Anyway, mostly dragging the Utah numbers down are the anti-military,
left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan
voters in Summit County (Park City).

That's weird. I lived in Park City for 13 years and never met one
single anti-military, left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro
PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan voter. What kind of folks are you associating
with? Polygamists?

-klaus

It's my understanding polygamists are the conservative Utahans [sic]

Old November 23rd 05, 06:48 PM

Tom wrote:
Thanks. Things do appear to be looking up for this weekend...

Did I make a political point? I believe it a fact that Utah still
supports Bush at a high level.
http://tinyurl.com/csnlh
Amusingly, it is the inverse of Pennsylvania
http://tinyurl.com/83t5o

But, no I really don't think Ullr is punishing Utah. I mean, look at
how much snow Texas gets.

With exceptions in Utah and Idaho, America sure looks blue
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/11/23/13222/916

Jeff

Old November 23rd 05, 07:56 PM

Jeff wrote:

klaus wrote:
AstroPax wrote:

Anyway, mostly dragging the Utah numbers down are the anti-military,
left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan
voters in Summit County (Park City).

That's weird. I lived in Park City for 13 years and never met one
single anti-military, left wing liberal, pro ACLU, pro NAMBLA, pro
PETA, pro Cindy Sheehan voter. What kind of folks are you associating
with? Polygamists?

-klaus

It's my understanding polygamists are the conservative Utahans [sic]

That's the weird part. They fit that description given by Astro better
than the Park City liberals. You have to kind of take Astro's views in
context of his other posts. In his world, if you are at all liberal or
democrat, you support all those things he lists above, as well as
Satan, Rocky Anderson(who may or may not be Satan), same for Clinton,
and terrorists. He either sees only black and white, or needs a straw
man to have a position. Just like the repubilican majority, although
he *is* an independent. We'll see more of this as the current
administration unravels. The christian Jihad will continue to grasp at
straw men while claiming to be impartial and independent. We may even
get a republican congressdroid calling a decorated war veteran a
coward and then when people take her to task, she'll claim they are
making personal attacks. No ****. I.R.O.N.Y..

"I have been attacked very personally, continuously since Friday evening.";

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10169562/from/RS.2/

Whine, whine. "They're saying mean things about me because I got
caught in a lie and attacked a decorated veteran as a coward. How
could they be so shallow?" Talk about anti-military. Sounds familiar
though. Remember whatthey said about Kerry? It's the only defense
against when soldiers call bull**** on an adminstration whose leader
got the rich man's out. Divert to a straw man. Have a look at Astro's
posts. All talking points are dismissed without comment and a straw
man is attacked. Very republican for an independent. I think they're
going undercover.

I'll take a Sheehan over a Schmidt any day.

-klaus

Old November 23rd 05, 10:58 PM

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:46:04 GMT, bdubya
wrote:

Well, looks like NW Michigan is getting off to a good start. That
doesn't help, I know, but it's still good news.

Not to keep flogging a midget horse, but
http://www.caberfaepeaks.com/photogallerysnowmaking.htm

Looks better than usual for this time o'year. Much better.

bw